High blood pressure

i've just been for my hgv medical and failed it with high blood pressure. she did it 3 times and each time it was about 170/100. just needed it to be below 100 to pass.
when i went for my covid booster earlier on in the year the nurse noticed i never go to the doctors and asked if she could check my blood pressure. iirc it was about 150/90 and she said i should go to the gp. never bothered but bought a machine from boots that i use now and again. sometimes it's spot on and sometimes a bit high. first this morning at home it was 160/90ish so must've gone up a fair bit or the boots machine isn't too accurate.
the lass doing the medical said i need to speak to the doctors and keep a log for a couple of weeks then depending on how it is the doctors will look at either medication or whatever.
i'm quite a bit overweight, piled a load on the last few weeks as we were on holiday, lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, don't worry too much about things but it's a bit of a bummer still. licence runs out in a fortnight so unless i get it sorted can't drive the wagon.
on the plus side just been looking at cheap flights to portugal and looking forward to the match this afternoon :)
Hope you figure it out and get it down. That’s quite high in the scheme of things.

Make sure you check your travel insurance covers you for HBP when you go to Portugal Anarl, just in case.

Hope you figure it out and get it down. That’s quite high in the scheme of things.

Make sure you check your travel insurance covers you for HBP when you go to Portugal Anarl, just in case.
thanks, it is what it is i suppose. just have to deal with it and try to sort it.

as for travel insurance, it's something i've never bothered with. the only time i've ever took it out was a few years back and we decided it might be wise to get yearly cover. a month after we took it out covid hit and you couldn't go anywhere!!
silly really as up until the last few years i've always rode the bike down and back with not being too fond of aeroplanes.

i've just been for my hgv medical and failed it with high blood pressure. she did it 3 times and each time it was about 170/100. just needed it to be below 100 to pass.
when i went for my covid booster earlier on in the year the nurse noticed i never go to the doctors and asked if she could check my blood pressure. iirc it was about 150/90 and she said i should go to the gp. never bothered but bought a machine from boots that i use now and again. sometimes it's spot on and sometimes a bit high. first this morning at home it was 160/90ish so must've gone up a fair bit or the boots machine isn't too accurate.
the lass doing the medical said i need to speak to the doctors and keep a log for a couple of weeks then depending on how it is the doctors will look at either medication or whatever.
i'm quite a bit overweight, piled a load on the last few weeks as we were on holiday, lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, don't worry too much about things but it's a bit of a bummer still. licence runs out in a fortnight so unless i get it sorted can't drive the wagon.
on the plus side just been looking at cheap flights to portugal and looking forward to the match this afternoon :)
not that anyone'll be in the slightest bit interested but got in to see the doctor last monday, he asked me to take the machine in to compare and it's spot on. he gave me some beta blockers to see how it goes. seems to have done the trick, just been up to do my hgv medical again and passed.
it's been a big wake up call tbh. it's been a long, long time since i've had to use the nhs. sometimes i think it's one of the things you take for granted.
i've always used a lot of salt on my meals and drink loads of coffee but that's been knocked on the head.

not that anyone'll be in the slightest bit interested but got in to see the doctor last monday, he asked me to take the machine in to compare and it's spot on. he gave me some beta blockers to see how it goes. seems to have done the trick, just been up to do my hgv medical again and passed.
it's been a big wake up call tbh. it's been a long, long time since i've had to use the nhs. sometimes i think it's one of the things you take for granted.
i've always used a lot of salt on my meals and drink loads of coffee but that's been knocked on the head.
Well done marra on both results, we all take the NHS for granted until it wakes us up and they fix us.

Do you exercise mate ? 1/2 hour 3-4 times a week does wonders.

Do you exercise mate ? 1/2 hour 3-4 times a week does wonders.
i don't mate. sometimes do quite long walks but rarely. like i said, a bit if a wake up call so looking to do a bit more. used to be quite fit years ago, played rugby and did a lot of cycling. done the coast to coast a few times and lands end to john o groats. sold the bike so looking for another.

i don't mate. sometimes do quite long walks but rarely. like i said, a bit if a wake up call so looking to do a bit more. used to be quite fit years ago, played rugby and did a lot of cycling. done the coast to coast a few times and lands end to john o groats. sold the bike so looking for another.
Be amazed what a moderate regular blow through will do for the circulation. Will drop you by 10 points easy .

Your body is a wonderful thing marra, it has the ability to warn you first before stuff goes badly wrong. I developed heart issues after becoming very overweight, sedentary and complacent! Dunno how old you are but this was my early to mid 60’s. I’m under control now and loving life, but not without severe scares. I’ve been lucky, but I’ve also taken matters into my own hands…
1 Take the BP meds… blood pressure control is absolutely vital
2 lose weight now: I lost 3 stone - nowt like fear of heart fail to motivate, which is what you face
3 Exercise… walking will do. Get yourself a Fitbit watch and pump your heart a bit marra. It’s actually fun when you get into it.
4 Change your eating and drinking habits. Less sat fat and salt, less beer/other stuff - especially in a sitting.

I wish you well. Listen to what your body is telling you.

Take the tablets mate especially if its genetic.
I dont take sugar at all and if use salt it's lo salt.
Our lass gives me sour sop juice when its in season and some veg called bitter curd or something.

Read the leaflets that come with medication for info on side effects. I developed an awful cough earlier in the year. One of my bp tablets, Lisinopril gave you a 1 in 10 chance of developing a cough. Spoke to GP, changed tablets, cough went

Never thought the cough and tablets could be related.

Read the leaflets that come with medication for info on side effects. I developed an awful cough earlier in the year. One of my bp tablets, Lisinopril gave you a 1 in 10 chance of developing a cough. Spoke to GP, changed tablets, cough went

Never thought the cough and tablets could be related.
Same thing happened to my missus but it was Ramipril that caused her to cough.

Amlodopine also caused her ankles to swell so they had to reduce the dosage.

Always worth a chat with a GP as some of these side-effects aren't widely known.

Mine is 178/110.
I’ve got the important pleasure of 48 hour blood pressure monitoring coming up next week.

Was feeling very fatigued and napping morethan usual.

Spoke to my gp and he took me off bisoprolol, which has a fatigue side effect.

Went back after a month off, BP ok and feel a lot better, in "many" areas!

Dr thinks I was overmedicated. Was on 3 BP and 1 cholesterol, now 2 and 1. Gonna buy a BP monitor and regularly monitor. Gonna try and lose a bit weight as well.

A few months back I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure. I was put on Ramipril and gradually had the dose increased. It didn't do much to shift my BP, but the dry cough it gave me was horrendous, especially at night when it was keeping me awake and I kept on waking the wife up.
I've been back to the Dr's and had it switched to Losartan. I've only been on it a week or so but the BP seems to be going down and fingers crossed the cough gone.

Last edited:
A few months back I was prescribed tablets for high blood pressure. I was put on Ramipril and gradually had the dose increased. It didn't do much to shift my BP, but the dry cough it gave me was horrendous, especially at night when it was keeping me awake and I kept on waking the wife up.
I've been back to the Dr's and had it switched to Losartan. I've only been on it a week or so but the BP seems to be going down and fingers crossed the cough gone.

The cough appears as a regular side effect on the leaflet inside the box.

Back