High blood pressure

This affects 1 in 3 people and many don’t know they have an issue.

Do everything.

Cut down alcohol, stop smoking if you smoke, exercise most days and watch your diet.

BUT

TAKE THE TABLETS NOW.
My BP was berserk years ago, follow that basic advice and monitor to see if you can lower it by diet & lifestyle first then get some suitable tablets if you can't alter it to within advisble levels. I've been on tablets for a few years, but either way take the tablets if you need to, before something irreversible happens and you regret it.

Last edited:
I'm on tablets but been doing a small amount of exercise and making porridge every morning (not the microwave stuff) and it has came down, hoping to get off the tablets.
They do reckon oats help a lot apparently.

Christ! That’s dangerously high.

Keep an eye your ankles don’t swell, a side effect of that medication
I feel fine/normal. She wanted to bloody admit me to hospital.
Just reading thru this thread now, im 42 v unfit but wouldnt say overweight, drink too much so thats gonna need to stop.
Hits home hard like, cant concentrate at work now.

Ive just been to docs about this cough ive had for over a month (I never go to docs at all but work have been moaning at me...)
Docs just checked by BP and it was 220/120 WTF
ive been given 5mg Amlodipine and ive got to go back next week

When your medication gets it down don't be complacent and think 'that's sorted' !Think life style changes to get off it completely, and buy an upper arm BP monitor. Good luck.

Ive just been to docs about this cough ive had for over a month (I never go to docs at all but work have been moaning at me...)
Docs just checked by BP and it was 220/120 WTF
ive been given 5mg Amlodipine and ive got to go back next week

For the first few months they will try different drugs and dosages to see what works on you. I ended up with a Rampril and Amlodipine cocktail.

But lifestyle changes are also needed. I've almost totally cut out caffeine. Once you get used to the decaff stuff you really don't miss it.

Worth getting your own BP test kit. Only about £20 on Amazon.

Anyone got any tips on best way to get it down? Been to the docs and they want to put me on tablets but I want to try and get it down naturally before I do that.
I'm 46 and probably drink about 40 to 50 units of alcohol a week which obviously doesn't help but I do get quite a lot of exercise. My diet isn't too bad. Never add.salt and I'm vegatarian. Thanks for all replies.
Me dad went for an annual blood pressure check and they attached a monitor to his arm for 24 hours. At the surgery his blood pressure was up, but when they looked at the stats over 24 hours it was perfectly normal.

For the first few months they will try different drugs and dosages to see what works on you. I ended up with a Rampril and Amlodipine cocktail.

But lifestyle changes are also needed. I've almost totally cut out caffeine. Once you get used to the decaff stuff you really don't miss it.

Worth getting your own BP test kit. Only about £20 on Amazon.
I'm been on Ramipril 5mg for about 4 years, but do get your own monitor. Lifestyle change is also required to sort it.

Could be "White Coat Syndrome". Get a monitor and take daily readings over a few weeks to get a more realistic BP measure.
I have a history of high BP, but my recent raised reading came at an annual gp review that was running 30 nmins late at 9am so being wound up contributed. It has also given me a sharp reminder that my lifestyle needed alteration.

Back