High blood pressure

How's people managing to get these levels down?

Been on Losartan for the best part of a year now after switching from lisinopril for side effects.

Lost a canny few stone so now weighing 15st 7lbs, looking to lose another 7lbs over the next 6-8 weeks but don't want to go any further as I'll just look skinny at 6ft 4".

Stopped smoking a year ago (stopped a few years back but always smoked when I had a drink) and started vaping instead.

Diet is probably 70% vegetable based and only eat meats 2-3 days a week now.

Get plenty exercise and averaging over 10,000 steps per day so far this year, workout 3 days a week at home.

Drink once on a weekend either Friday or Saturday but can't see this having too much of an impact as used to drink all the time so I'm assuming my body's coping with that much better.

Been given a BP monitor from my Gp 5 days ago as I'm trying to come off my medication but even after all of the above my average levels over the last 5 days are 135/76 which is still too high to think about stopping the meds.

Anyone been in a similar position able to advise on anything that make help tip me into the "healthy zone"? Can't imagine the loss of another 7lbs will do much to it so hoping for a few tips.

Last edited:

sometimes theres nowt you can do and you are just suscuptible to it

I'm 5'10 weight 12.5 stone never smoked dont drink much not terribly unfit and I have to have medication

when you see massively obese people you wonder what else you can do to keep your own lower...but sometimes thats just the way it is!

sometimes theres nowt you can do and you are just suscuptible to it

I'm 5'10 weight 12.5 stone never smoked dont drink much not terribly unfit and I have to have medication

when you see massively obese people you wonder what else you can do to keep your own lower...but sometimes thats just the way it is!
It's annoying like but going to have to wait and see what the GP recommends in a week or so.

I see that caffeine can raise blood pressure, I don't drink normal tea / coffee but do have around 7-8 cups of green tea a day so maybe that's not helping 😂 not sure if there's caffeine in that like.

Salt intake in minimal however I am noticing how much salt there is in food before you even open it! 1.8grams in the "healthy" soup that I have and 1.2grams in each of the vegetarian burgers I eat... Insane really and can easily hit 6grams per day without adding any myself.

Does nicotene contribute to higher levels or is it the toxins in the cigarettes? As the vapes I'm using are full strength so maybe that's something to also look at.

Been on Losartan for the best part of a year now after switching from lisinopril for side effects.

Lost a canny few stone so now weighing 15st 7lbs, looking to lose another 7lbs over the next 6-8 weeks but don't want to go any further as I'll just look skinny at 6ft 4".

Stopped smoking a year ago (stopped a few years back but always smoked when I had a drink) and started vaping instead.

Get plenty exercise and averaging over 10,000 steps per day so far this year, workout 3 days a week at home.

Drink once on a weekend either Friday or Saturday but can't see this having too much of an impact as used to drink all the time so I'm assuming my body's coping with that much better.

Been given a BP monitor from my Gp 5 days ago as I'm trying to come off my medication but even after all of the above my average levels over the last 5 days are 135/76 which is still too high to think about stopping the meds.

Anyone been in a similar position able to advise on anything that make help tip me into the "healthy zone"? Can't imagine the loss of another 7lbs will do much to it so hoping for a few tips.
Reduce salt , keep fit , desist from smoking , .decaff tea & coffee

Booze OK in moderation imo

Some foods also appear to work as BP depressant- grapefruit juice ( thins the blood) and garlic ( I take 2 hi strength garlic pearls per day.)

Relaxation / meditation helps .

Try a meditation app

Reduce salt , keep fit , desist from smoking , .decaff tea & coffee

Booze OK in moderation imo

Some foods also appear to work as BP depressant- grapefruit juice ( thins the blood) and garlic ( I take 2 hi strength garlic pearls per day.)

Relaxation / meditation helps .

Try a meditation app
Grapefruit juice and BP medication can be bad news mind.....just in case anyone on medication is thinking of trying grapefruit juice.

Beetroot juice seems to be a better option

Grapefruit juice and BP medication can be bad news mind.....just in case anyone on medication is thinking of trying grapefruit juice.

Beetroot juice seems to be a better option
Yes it's a valid point actually- I take a smallish dose of Ramipril ( Ace Inhibitor) which is unaffected by Grapefruit juice .

But with Losartan it may be a problem .

I'd recommend trying garlic - I once experimented by eating a Clove per day for 2 weeks & my BP dropped about 10-15%

Didn't improve my prospects with the ladies however

How is 135 over 76 too high? That sounds spot on to me like.

When mine was high, the nurse said at my age(47) I should be around 140 over 90. It was around 155 over 110 at the time.
I'm very dubious about the quality of the home BP monitors. Values seem to vary by huge amounts even if you take BP twice in a minute
I took mine to get calibrated at docs. Seemed pretty similar. Just a cheap one as well.

I’m 35 and had mine checked about 6 months ago. Was averaging around the 136/85 mark but within 2 months had it down to 119/77 just by taking up running again, eating better and cutting down on the booze. Checked again this morning and it was 123/82 - pretty happy with that tbh!

Back