Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hype...not seen any Hype apart from 99% of those that have been blown away by the tension and emotion of this film.

I get some would like some big guns, a death defying rambo scene, legs hanging off in every scene and lots of gid big bombs (mostly bairns) but that's what the xbox is for.

And every masterpiece has critics, there will always be somebody being contrary, genuine or not.

The only real real criticism I have about it is the lack of blood/gore. Some films use it to the point it becomes overkill, but if used in the right way it can have a very visceral effect and I think in films such as this it's absolutely necessary.
Deliberate so that they could get the right certificate for kids to watch it I think.

I watched it last night, not that impressed with it to be honest, it fell short and didn't tell me anything the trailers didn't tell me.

I don't think they managed to portray the scale of it successfully, a few lines of soldiers on the beach, about 10 civilian boats, 2 spitfires. Just a couple of German air assaults as well shown, looked like they were dropping hand grenades as well

I agree that there wasn't enough gore shown either, not that it needs loads or to be explicit or anything but I didn't feel like anyone was in danger or scared, even screams of pain following the bombing and then cut to someone witnessing it and more focus on the urgency of the men to get off the beach would have got the message across better.

I also get what Nolan wanted to do with the 3 storylines but it just came across as messy for me, I didn't care about the civilian boat and it got too much screen time

The music and cinematography were both amazing though. Doubt I'd watch it again
Just been to see it this evening and your review is pretty much how I feel. It just didn't do it for me, I was expecting more with all the hype.

I know it's an emotional story to tell but it needed more to be a big blockbuster. It didn't do either.

And I agree the the scale of it. Looked like they'd run out of extras at some points, hardly anyone on the beach and only a handful of boats sailed across...

The events and history interest me lots. Sadly this didn't deliver for me.

Very Good, Wouldn't rate is a highly as Inception, The Prestige or Memento though

Yep I watched this Kodi cam last night, been looking forward to seeing this movie for ages. I have to agree with those that have been slightly disappointed. Not sure if i was expecting more of a documentary type movie but the scale of the event just didnt come through for me. Some scenes like the pilot trapped in the spitfire as it sank in the ocean was excellent but overall the movie somehow didn't hit the mark for me to want to watch again.

Got through 20 mins of some arsehole recording it at a cinema but had to switch it off as the sound was terrible. Great score by the sounds of it so will look for the soundtrack.

Just back after watching it on the imax at the metrocentre. A stunning film, absolutely loved it. Found myself leaning with the spitfires in the dog fight scenes.
Must have be as close as you could get to experiencing what it was like.
Some iconic scenes and images and has as already been said, the score is fantastic and adds to the tension throughout.
10 out of 10 for me.

Uk Turks has it but piss poor quality
To me, it sounds like those who are raving about it experienced it as it was meant to be, i.e. big screen, surround sound, effects and score being interpreted to the max, where those knocking it as not living up to expectations either saw it on knock off Nigel cam streams or in smaller cinema screens.

Obviously a good fillum with characterisation, screenplay etc should be able to transcend the limitations of the viewing experience, but this definitely sounds like one that should be seen in the bigger facilities.

To me, it sounds like those who are raving about it experienced it as it was meant to be, i.e. big screen, surround sound, effects and score being interpreted to the max, where those knocking it as not living up to expectations either saw it on knock off Nigel cam streams or in smaller cinema screens.

Obviously a good fillum with characterisation, screenplay etc should be able to transcend the limitations of the viewing experience, but this definitely sounds like one that should be seen in the bigger facilities.
Agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great reviews here:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk/critic-reviews

This about sums it up for me
San Francisco Chronicle
Mick LaSalle

Jul 18, 2017
It’s one of the best war films ever made, distinct in its look, in its approach and in the effect it has on viewers. There are movies — they are rare — that lift you out of your present circumstances and immerse you so fully in another experience that you watch in a state of jaw-dropped awe. Dunkirk is that kind of movie.

Some great reviews here:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/dunkirk/critic-reviews

This about sums it up for me
San Francisco Chronicle
Mick LaSalle

Jul 18, 2017
It’s one of the best war films ever made, distinct in its look, in its approach and in the effect it has on viewers. There are movies — they are rare — that lift you out of your present circumstances and immerse you so fully in another experience that you watch in a state of jaw-dropped awe. Dunkirk is that kind of movie.

Not close to being the best war film

It's behind Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket & Deer Hunter however it is very good.

Just saw it today.

Recommended

Yep I watched this Kodi cam last night, been looking forward to seeing this movie for ages. I have to agree with those that have been slightly disappointed. Not sure if i was expecting more of a documentary type movie but the scale of the event just didnt come through for me. Some scenes like the pilot trapped in the spitfire as it sank in the ocean was excellent but overall the movie somehow didn't hit the mark for me to want to watch again.
Because you watched it on a cam.a movie that relies on visuals and sound does not come across well on cam marra

Because you watched it on a cam.a movie that relies on visuals and sound does not come across well on cam marra
Nowt like stating the obvious marra, my comment wasn't about the sound or visuals, I didn't even mention that in my post. What I said was, I had been looking forward to watching this for ages but felt slightly disappointed that scale of the event just didn't come through in this fillum.

Nowt like stating the obvious marra, my comment wasn't about the sound or visuals, I didn't even mention that in my post. What I said was, I had been looking forward to watching this for ages but felt slightly disappointed that scale of the event just didn't come through in this fillum.

I've just got back from watching it. I enjoyed it and thought elements were superb, the score especially. I do think it lacked something, I'm not sure I really cared enough about any of the characters.
First time I've got off my arse to go to the pictures in twenty years so I was looking forward to it.
I still think it was a solid 7/10 but not an all time great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back