Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

That'll be IMAX digital format I'd have thought. Something like 10% bigger than a normal screen. Its bit of a con in normal circumstances. However for this film it appears it's worth seeing it on the biggest screen available to you.
You trying to say there's different types of IMAX? Have I been conned?

You trying to say there's different types of IMAX? Have I been conned?
Yeah. Vast majority of imax screens in the U.K. arent true imax but rather a slightly enlarged normal screen. In ordinary circumstances it won't be worth the premium but for a Nolan film you'll have got your money's worth.

thought u ment they had fucked the film up, to be honest id say Dunkirk was a success saved 300,000 of our troops alot of whom were part of D-Day invasions, the BEF was a disaster waiting to happen
Agree.. bearing in mind ,Churchill initially thought at first only 40,000 of the BEF could be rescued.. To lift over 360,000 of which 110,000 were made up of the French Armíee was and will stay a magnificent victory.

I didnt know this but the boat Sundowner is a motor yacht formerly owned by Charles Lightoller, the second officer of RMS Titanic and the most senior officer to survive her sinking in 1912. She participated in the Dunkirk evacuation as one of the "little ships". Seems Mr Lightoller was spared from the Titanic by a greater force to be able to carry out this task.. On one trip his boat, max capacity of 25 carried over 130 souls to safety. Four times his launch was straffed by a German ME109 and because his brother who was an officer in the RAF had given him some instructions (before a aircraft attack, the nose would lift up just before firing, he turned hard a port) should he be caught in exactly the predicament he found himself in, these saved him, his crew and the rescued men. One fascinating story out of thousands.

No sense of scale or the magnitude of the effort of the little ships
The numbers and scale of the evacuation is poorly depicted
It was obviously a cheaply made film relying on some classy aerial spitfire shots and bit part cameo roles which are not fully developed

And the sound quality won't be the same. Tbh I bet most slating the film watched it illegally
Tottenham Ct Rd actually but I'm not slating it. It's good but not great. Hyped as owt and doesn't live up to it. In 20yrs people will be wondering why anyone got so worked up about it. Obviously made for the gaming generation. All action no story. I've read reviews comparing it and the director to David Lean ffs!

The Churchill speech bit was somewhat weakened by having listened to Gary Oldman give the very same speech during the previews for upcoming fillums seconds before Dunkirk started!
There's one glaring hammy as owt line by Rylance near the end that's cringeworthy tbh. If it was the best way the director can come up with to get his point across then no wonder he didn't bother with a back story or dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back