Doctor Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next episode count how many references there are to anything political. I think you'll be surprised. I've recently rewatched S1-8 of Doctor Who and it only started popping up from around S6 onwards (the reptile lesbian was probably the first obvious one, not that I've got owt against reptiles or lesbians). Now every episode has a gay couple or gay joke or left wing political statement wrapped up in the dialogue. The first scene of the episode was a woman who was married to the man's niece. Then, Yaz's Mum to Yaz: "Are you 2 seeing eachother?", Doctor: "Er, no, are we? I don't know, maybe". What purpose did either scene serve other than to say "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, LESBIANS ARE COOL!"

It's good to see gay relationships being normalised imo as there's nothing worse than a biggot idiot, but haway man, it's Doctor Who. I want to be entertained, not given a sermon on politics. Leave politics to the politicians, concentrate on making Doctor Who not shite, because tbh, the spider episode and 1st episode have been the only 2 that weren't utter shit so far.

With respect mate, what difference does it make?

The line saying she was his neice's wife was about as throw away a line as you can get, and wasn't pushing an agenda anymore than saying it was his nephews wife would be ramming "hetero love" down our throat.

The stuff with Yaz's mam again was a quick one-liner, which was funny because of the doctors reaction. Yaz was also asked, two or three times, if she was seeing that young lad, so not sure where that fits into the whole "political agenda".

You say you think it's good it's normalised but then complain when things which normalise it happen.

I've never understand why people are so bothered that there's gay characters in it, unless they're homophobic or scared of gay people. It literally makes no difference either way, so who cares if they put in the odd character to normalise it. The more people are used to it and just don't really notice it either way, the better.

The line saying she was his neice's wife was about as throw away a line as you can get, and wasn't pushing an agenda anymore than saying it was his nephews wife would be ramming "hetero love" down our throat.

The stuff with Yaz's mam again was a quick one-liner, which was funny because of the doctors reaction. Yaz was also asked, two or three times, if she was seeing that young lad, so not sure where that fits into the whole "political agenda".

You say you think it's good it's normalised but then complain when things which normalise it happen.

I've never understand why people are so bothered that there's gay characters in it, unless they're homophobic or scared of gay people. It literally makes no difference either way, so who cares if they put in the odd character to normalise it. The more people are used to it and just don't really notice it either way, the better.

It's certainly a lot less noticeable than with the first few episodes of Capaldi's tenure, where lizard lady seemed to end every sentence with 'did I mention I'm a lesbian?'

Then, Yaz's Mum to Yaz: "Are you 2 seeing eachother?", Doctor: "Er, no, are we? I don't know, maybe". What purpose did either scene serve other than to say "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, LESBIANS ARE COOL!"

I saw that as being a sign of the Doctor still adjusting and getting to grips with normal stuff. The character is currently that she is brilliant, brave, but struggling really awkwardly socially.

Next episode count how many references there are to anything political. I think you'll be surprised. I've recently rewatched S1-8 of Doctor Who and it only started popping up from around S6 onwards (the reptile lesbian was probably the first obvious one, not that I've got owt against reptiles or lesbians). Now every episode has a gay couple or gay joke or left wing political statement wrapped up in the dialogue. The first scene of the episode was a woman who was married to the man's niece. Then, Yaz's Mum to Yaz: "Are you 2 seeing eachother?", Doctor: "Er, no, are we? I don't know, maybe". What purpose did either scene serve other than to say "HEY LOOK EVERYONE, LESBIANS ARE COOL!"

It's good to see gay relationships being normalised imo as there's nothing worse than a biggot idiot, but haway man, it's Doctor Who. I want to be entertained, not given a sermon on politics. Leave politics to the politicians, concentrate on making Doctor Who not shite, because tbh, the spider episode and 1st episode have been the only 2 that weren't utter shit so far.

I still think you're forgetting how political the show was in the classic era.

The Daleks are the Nazis and the Thals the Jews.

The Tenth Planet deliberately cast black/international actors to represent a progressive future.

Carnival of Monsters is all about cruelty of animals in a cage, as Robert Holmes was a vegetarian.

The Sun Makers is all about capitalism and Vengeance on Varos is communist oppression.

The Two Doctors is again Robert Holmes representing cruelty to animals.

Oh, and Ace was a lesbian.

I still think you're forgetting how political the show was in the classic era.

The Daleks are the Nazis and the Thals the Jews.

The Tenth Planet deliberately cast black/international actors to represent a progressive future.

Carnival of Monsters is all about cruelty of animals in a cage, as Robert Holmes was a vegetarian.

The Sun Makers is all about capitalism and Vengeance on Varos is communist oppression.

The Two Doctors is again Robert Holmes representing cruelty to animals.

Oh, and Ace was a lesbian.

And the usual suspects HATE that

Great post and spot on. It feels like people are specifically watching it to find things to be offended by and criticise.

I was watching some of the David Tennant episodes the other day from when he had just regenerated and the way it was portrayed was exactly the same as Jodie, the over enthusiasm etc, and as I recall it was the same with Matt Smith too.

well said that man!

The new fez hats iirc mate.

I got frustrated by the poor writing quality towards the end of Smith's era and it didn't pick up during Capaldi's time, sadly; I think I must have missed a good dozen or so episodes as a result.

I've been watching the latest season so far and I have to say it's the best we've had for many years. Great characters, brilliant portrayal by Whittaker herself and good writing.

It's actually got me back into the idea of Doctor Who not being shite; as I write this I'm watching the season finale of Tennant's first season, having binged Ecclestone last week. Great stuff.

I got frustrated by the poor writing quality towards the end of Smith's era and it didn't pick up during Capaldi's time, sadly; I think I must have missed a good dozen or so episodes as a result.

I've been watching the latest season so far and I have to say it's the best we've had for many years. Great characters, brilliant portrayal by Whittaker herself and good writing.

It's actually got me back into the idea of Doctor Who not being shite; as I write this I'm watching the season finale of Tennant's first season, having binged Ecclestone last week. Great stuff.
I think the exact opposite. :lol:

I've recently binged the whole thing. S1 with Ecclestone (who was my favourite Doctor at the time) was akin to something you'd see on Cbeebies. Terrible writing, the big brother episode?? Haway man Moffat. It started to pick up when Tennant came in, then the Smith/Karen Gillan era took it to the next level. Some Smith episodes were hit and miss but as a whole he's probably my favourite. I wasn't a fan of Capaldi in general and avoided it when it aired, but, after watching, thought he did a good job (it's the eyebrows).

This season imo has been the worst so far. Jodie is awful, she has no personality. The companions are awful, and the writing is awful. I don't think Jodie or the companions will last very long.

A return to the classic 'running around curved corridors and shouting' content at the weekend. These straight corridors and disused factories of the modern versions are simply braggadocios indications of the taxpayers contribution to increased budget. Give me a cardboard and plastic curved corridor from different angles to run and shout along any day. Its comforting. Like spotted dick.

I think that if Walsh wasn't in it it would be long gone from my viewing schedule by now. It's very poor, even in comparison to the waste of Capaldi's last couple of seasons. It's just so shallow. Next week's will be another 'racism is bad' exercise in childish self loathing by the BBC.

The BBC has always been this way with trying to shape reality, only we never noticed. e.g. the other week I was watching the very first series of Eastenders (sad I know, but heyho) and it's just so blatant watching through modern eyes, at times I thought I was watching a public service announcement.

I think the exact opposite. :lol:

I've recently binged the whole thing. S1 with Ecclestone (who was my favourite Doctor at the time) was akin to something you'd see on Cbeebies. Terrible writing, the big brother episode?? Haway man Moffat. It started to pick up when Tennant came in, then the Smith/Karen Gillan era took it to the next level. Some Smith episodes were hit and miss but as a whole he's probably my favourite. I wasn't a fan of Capaldi in general and avoided it when it aired, but, after watching, thought he did a good job (it's the eyebrows).

This season imo has been the worst so far. Jodie is awful, she has no personality. The companions are awful, and the writing is awful. I don't think Jodie or the companions will last very long.

Bad Wolf (big brother episode) was written by Russell T Davies who was also the show runner until Matt Smith's Doctor which is when Moffat took over. So if the Matt Smith period was probably your favourite then Moffat was responsible for that, bit harsh to blame him for an episode/series he had nowt to do with apart from The Doctor Dances/The Empty Child which I think were by far the best episodes of that series.

I'm really enjoying the new series, it definitely feels more like old school Doctor Who than it has in ages. The dynamic of having the 3 companions is working really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back