Doctor Who

Bad Wolf (big brother episode) was written by Russell T Davies who was also the show runner until Matt Smith's Doctor which is when Moffat took over. So if the Matt Smith period was probably your favourite then Moffat was responsible for that, bit harsh to blame him for an episode/series he had nowt to do with apart from The Doctor Dances/The Empty Child which I think were by far the best episodes of that series.

I'm really enjoying the new series, it definitely feels more like old school Doctor Who than it has in ages. The dynamic of having the 3 companions is working really well.
He also wrote Blink which is my favourite Doctor who episode and one of my favourite of any tv episode ever

Watch it again mate. It hasn't aged well at all.

I really liked Ecclestone at the time, but in hindsight, compared to S3 onwards, S1 was bloody awful. It reminds me of Cbeebies it was that bad.
Strongly disagree. I too have watched them all from S1-10 recently and 1 is the 3rd best of the bunch. The Slitheen are the low point, but even they aren't THAT bad.

Just caught up on The Tsuranga Conundrum from Sunday. Now that was CBeebies worthy. I've wanted this series to do well but that was an appalling pile of shit.

I didn’t think this weeks episode was as good. The enemy was a space Taz ( tazmanian devil), with the big eyes cuteness factor to sell a few Christmas toys. I like the enemy to have some personality the good guys can play off.

I didn’t think this weeks episode was as good. The enemy was a space Taz ( tazmanian devil), with the big eyes cuteness factor to sell a few Christmas toys. I like the enemy to have some personality the good guys can play off.

I thought it was clearly stitch before meeting lilo and becoming reformed, so much so I bet Disney's lawyers are having a good long look
Logon or register to see this image

I like Whittaker, think she's good, and I think the companions are decent. I also think Chibnall deserves credit for adding a bit realism/depth to the characters, always a bit of an issue with Moffat.

That said, the writing is a bit weak and the villains are flimsy as they come. This week at least built to an ending, previous week's felt like they just "happened".

I like Whittaker, think she's good, and I think the companions are decent. I also think Chibnall deserves credit for adding a bit realism/depth to the characters, always a bit of an issue with Moffat.

That said, the writing is a bit weak and the villains are flimsy as they come. This week at least built to an ending, previous week's felt like they just "happened".

Last weeks was just setting up the president candidate guy as a bad guy, hes gonna recur. Although why it was better to lock a bunch of spiders in a room to suffacate and/or eat each other than kill em with a bullet I'm not sure.

I know the "guns are bad" message was the first thing they wrote when on the storyboard but there are a million better ways to ram that message down someones throat.

Watch it again mate. It hasn't aged well at all.

I don't agree, I think especially with it being set in WW2 helped with that though. Also with most sci-fi it can be seen as not ageing well due to effects improving etc.

I don't think that's new though, They always seem to go a bit 'bubblegum/cartoony' type stories in the first episodes/series of a new regeneration, it's like they use lighter storylines to bed in the new personality before they go a little darker. Personally the Pting reminded me of the Adipose from the Tennant era.

Last edited:
Strongly disagree. I too have watched them all from S1-10 recently and 1 is the 3rd best of the bunch. The Slitheen are the low point, but even they aren't THAT bad.

Just caught up on The Tsuranga Conundrum from Sunday. Now that was CBeebies worthy. I've wanted this series to do well but that was an appalling pile of shit.

You have to remember that it's meant to appeal to children (as well as big kids). I thought Tim Shaw (ha!) The teeth bloke anyway was quite a scary opening monster for kids, but it got things going.
The threat of being blown up was probably more terrifying than the P-Ting or whatever it was called, but kids might not have clocked that part of the story

That is an exceptional episode. Up there with "The Empty Child"

Blink is outstanding, and as far as having a scary episode for kids I still think the end of it where it just shows images of statues etc on normal streets was a work of genius for that side.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I'd like to see them bring back Captain Jack for at least one episode in the next series, I think that would be an interesting dynamic with the Doctor being female now. Not in a romantic fashion but just to see how the characters interact, though I'm a huge Torchwood fan so I'm probably a little biased.

Blink is outstanding, and as far as having a scary episode for kids I still think the end of it where it just shows images of statues etc on normal streets was a work of genius for that side.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I'd like to see them bring back Captain Jack for at least one episode in the next series, I think that would be an interesting dynamic with the Doctor being female now. Not in a romantic fashion but just to see how the characters interact, though I'm a huge Torchwood fan so I'm probably a little biased.

Me too!

I never watched Torchwood so I'm not fussed either way. He was canny when he popped up in Dr Who though

Me too!

I never watched Torchwood so I'm not fussed either way. He was canny when he popped up in Dr Who though

Torchwood was very much a Marmite programme, you either loved it or hated it. It was very camp and cheesy at times but the Children of Earth mini series especially was brilliant and very dark.

Blink could have been a standalone movie. You didn’t have to know anything about the Doctor to appreciate it. It was exceptional, and quite rightly won the awards it did.

Blink could have been a standalone movie. You didn’t have to know anything about the Doctor to appreciate it. It was exceptional, and quite rightly won the awards it did.
Just rewatched it this morning, it's a brilliant how it has you trying not to blink as well, safe to say I would be in 1920s hull in seconds

Doc 9 nearly destroyed time and space when he let a companion go back and see her ancestors.

This week, The Doctor lets a companion go back and see her ancestors with only the briefest of protests and a big daft smile.

Back