Death by Dangerous Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

No, it is utterly true.

The Netherlands and Denmark are like a billiard table man! They have an unusually high bike usage, good for them.

Brits aren’t interested in replacing their cars with bikes, safety might be a concern for some, but many just want to keep their cars. If you think a bike is a direct replacement for a car, then you need to think a bit harder!

I’m sure people say all sorts of well meaning things for the clipboard brigade, but when it comes down to it, they like jumping in their warm, comfortable cars and getting done in half an hour what would take half a day on a bike.
Plus our cities, with their medieval, Georgian and Victorian street plans on the whole cannot cater for more cycling infrastructure.

@James is an articulate young lad with experience in transport planning iirc so I don’t doubt he’s right it would help but like you I really cannot see where the hell the room for segregation comes from.

@James can you give us an example of somewhere in the North East you could segregate?
He doesn’t do “transport”, he does “cycling”. He has no interest in any other form of transport, including public transport and walking. Unless it has two wheels, it has no virtue for him. I’d hate to think that anyone so monomaniacal about cycling to the exclusion of other forms of moving people about, including by walking and by public transport, is involved in transport planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus our cities, with their medieval, Georgian and Victorian street plans cannot cater for more cycling infrastructure.

More? There's virtually none as it is.

Takes no space to put a bollard up and filter a street. Turn it one way for motor traffic. Take away a lane of motor traffic.
You can drive artic lorries through our medieval streets so that tells you it's not an issue of space.

I say this all the time, it's not about space, it's about what you prioritise. You don't need to build segregated lanes on tiny streets because traffic shouldn't be moving at speed. On the bigger roads where it is moving fast (over 20mph) then you look to segregate. It's a proven formula to make cycling safer and humanise places.

More? There's virtually none as it is.

Takes no space to put a bollard up and filter a street. Turn it one way for motor traffic. Take away a lane of motor traffic.
You can drive artic lorries through our medieval streets so that tells you it's not an issue of space.

I say this all the time, it's not about space, it's about what you prioritise. You don't need to build segregated lanes on tiny streets because traffic shouldn't be moving at speed. On the bigger roads where it is moving fast (over 20mph) then you look to segregate. It's a proven formula to make cycling safer and humanise places.
And thereby impact on those who rely on buses, and on businesses who need deliveries by lorry, van etc. That's exactly my point about this debate and, frankly, about you. You'd prioritise cycling over all other modes of human transportation including public transport and walking. Our cities need a balance which accommodates the legitimate needs of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus our cities, with their medieval, Georgian and Victorian street plans on the whole cannot cater for more cycling infrastructure.

He doesn’t do “transport”, he does “cycling”. He has no interest in any other form of transport, including public transport and walking. Unless it has two wheels, it has no virtue for him. I’d hate to think that anyone so monomaniacal about cycling to the exclusion of other forms of moving people about, including by walking and by public transport, is involved in transport planning.

The sooner we look at massively reducing private vehicles in major city centres the better. There is very little need for the vast majority of private vehicle journeys in central London, there is excellent public transport available that could be used but people in this country think it is a god given right to drive everywhere, because people won’t change this view of their own accord then it will have to be forced upon them by planning.

The sooner we look at massively reducing private vehicles in major city centres the better. There is very little need for the vast majority of private vehicle journeys in central London, there is excellent public transport available that could be used but people in this country think it is a god given right to drive everywhere, because people won’t change this view of their own accord then it will have to be forced upon them by planning.
Logon or register to see this image

And thereby impact on those who rely on buses, and on businesses who need deliveries by lorry, van etc. That's exactly my point about this debate and, frankly, about you. You'd prioritise cycling over all other modes of human transportation including public transport and walking.

Nope, they go hand in hand, look at the Netherlands. You would see a huge mode shift from bus to cycling if we introduced miles of safe routes. Ask anyone on the 243 bus from Hackney to the City if they enjoy their 40 minute, 2.5 mile journey to the City for work every day, it's utterly miserable - that's if you can even get on it as it's so busy. Give those people a safe, segregated cycle route and you'd see an enormous swing from bus to cycling, freeing up capacity on the bus network. Its about giving people another option and enabling them to get on with it safely.

I'm massively pro public transport, I've used it all my life. I've never owned a car and never will. In the last year or so I've walked 40 mins to work for 6 months, I've got the bus for the other (they take the same time). I've never once used a taxi in London and I will not use any other private hire vehicle in a city with such an incredible public transport system.

Our cities are coming to a standstill, air quality is getting increasingly worse, its not feasible to continue with the existing.

I think the problem is people spend a large chunk of their income on buying and running a car. They then don't want the extra cost and inconvenience of using public transport.

I think the problem is people spend a large chunk of their income on buying and running a car. They then don't want the extra cost and inconvenience of using public transport.
If you live and work in a city, is a car really necessary? I understand if you live in a village with an hourly bus service thats shite but if you live in a city, and work in a city with a decent transport system, i just don't see the need.

If you live and work in a city, is a car really necessary? I understand if you live in a village with an hourly bus service thats shite but if you live in a city, and work in a city with a decent transport system, i just don't see the need.
I don't use buses I walk drive or cycle. I wouldn't cycle as an alternative to my car for a number of reasons. Including the weather in this country and the roads are over congested and dangerous. Cars or worse still lorries and buses don't mix well with bikes. My bike is for leisure, something to bring out on a weekend, strap to the car and head into the sticks. As a serious alternative to the car other than nipping down the road to the shops it doesn't figure really.

Most people don't live in a city with a good public transport system though, that's a big part of the problem. Decades of motorcentric transport policy has led to public transport being neglected. As was touched upon before, we're basically all inherently lazy, we just want to get from A to B quickest. Unfortunately we've made driving a car the quickest option and that has had tons of negative knock on effects.

More than half of car trips are for journeys under 2km. :lol: How miserable is that.

Most people don't live in a city with a good public transport system though, that's a big part of the problem. Decades of motorcentric transport policy has led to public transport being neglected. As was touched upon before, we're basically all inherently lazy, we just want to get from A to B quickest. Unfortunately we've made driving a car the quickest option and that has had tons of negative knock on effects.

More than half of car trips are for journeys under 2km. :lol: How miserable is that.

How many of those journeys are ones that couldn’t be done on a bike?

The supermarket might be a mile away, but you can’t cycle back with a family of four’s shopping.

Your parents might be a mile away but you can’t take the bairns to their grandparents on a bike.

Half might be within 2km (1.6mi) but that doesn’t mean they’re cyclable.

I would imagine a lot of those will be school runs too which also has the negative effect of teaching kids that using cars for every journey is acceptable

How many of those journeys are ones that couldn’t be done on a bike?

The supermarket might be a mile away, but you can’t cycle back with a family of four’s shopping.

Your parents might be a mile away but you can’t take the bairns to their grandparents on a bike.

Half might be within 2km (1.6mi) but that doesn’t mean they’re cyclable.

Surely if the bairns are old enough then cycling with them is a great opportunity to spend some family time, increase all of the families health, instill a healthier attitude into your kids etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back