Death by Dangerous Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be bothered as we'll just end up arguing over the same stuff as the previous threads.

It's about making bold decisions, our city centres are changing and you'll start seeing streets shut to motor traffic in places like the City of London before you know it. If there's not enough space then you remove inefficient uses of it, which isn't people riding bikes.

Look at Manchester's plans for walking and cycling to see what can be done. I've here. You filter areas, improve crossing points and build dedicated infrastructure on busy roads.
they need to stop vehicles going through bank/monument at certain times. be miles better for the air and for the cyclists.

Think you'll see more than that in the coming years. The City is at breaking point in the peak hours and they're well aware of what they need to do.
sometimes i get the bus through there, sit on the top deck and you can people watch. it can take over 30m just to get from monument to cannon street. vans and lorries should be barred peak hours.

What's the issue with riding bikes on the path? I don't ride often but I wouldn't feel safe riding it on the road like.

What's the issue with riding bikes on the path? I don't ride often but I wouldn't feel safe riding it on the road like.

It needs to be taken in context. I often ride on a path, but generally when there ar no pedestrians around. It wouldn’t be appropriate to ride fast on a path through the streets of the town centre.

Some people have a bee in their bonnet about the latter, which is understandable if their experience is in towns and cities, but it’s wide of the mark for other circumstances.

Cyclists are being forced onto pavements due to dangerous drivers,

They should also use cycle paths where they are provided.

Installed at great public expense, the lycra-clad Tour De France wannabees, seem to think it's beneath them to use the paths.

Bunch of selfish half-wits.

Installed at great public expense, the lycra-clad Tour De France wannabees, seem to think it's beneath them to use the paths.

And all drivers should use motorways where they are provided and not any other route.

People don't use cycle paths because they aren't fit for purpose the majority of the time. You're not going to put your life in danger to please people like yourself.

And all drivers should use motorways where they are provided and not any other route.

People don't use cycle paths because they aren't fit for purpose the majority of the time. You're not going to put your life in danger to please people like yourself.

Not in my experience on my commuter run - there is a (relatively new) cycle path next to the dual carriageway - but most cyclists still persist on using the road (even worse when the road narrows to single carriageway and the cycle path actually widens. When I cycle I use the path - consideration works both ways.

Not in my experience on my commuter run - there is a (relatively new) cycle path next to the dual carriageway - but most cyclists still persist on using the road (even worse when the road narrows to single carriageway and the cycle path actually widens. When I cycle I use the path - consideration works both ways.

Why would anyone want to cycle on a road like that if there's a suitable parallel alternative? It defies belief. You have to question the infrastructure as no one is taking any enjoyment from cycling on a road as busy as that.

Why would anyone want to cycle on a road like that if there's a suitable parallel alternative? It defies belief. You have to question the infrastructure as no one is taking any enjoyment from cycling on a road as busy as that.

I know - but it happens regularly. If anything, the cycle route is shorter and flatter which makes it even more stupid. I know there are idiots in cars as well but some people just seem intent on being difficult.

A lot of the roadside cycle paths I know, stop and have give way markings at every junction. You can ride on the cycle path (with meandering pedestrians) and have to stop every 100 yards or go on the road, have right of way and can get up to some decent speed and just get on your way.

The only cycle paths I know that really work are those that are completely off road. Ones like the Sunderland to Stanly old railway line, or the one up the riverside in York (though a nightmare for pedestrians wandering up it during tourist season). The coast road one though Shields not being used is mentioned on here a lot, but that looks like a decent one to me - I have not cycled up it so can't say first hand.

Making cycling safer for cyclists would be one, you’d get more people cycling confidently and less cars on the road, which are orders of magnitude more dangerous for everyone. Even non road users.

This was the mantra of Blair’s New Labour anti-car government. It’s utter bollocks IMO that some people seem to take for granted as fact. There’s many things wrong with the theory, it screams ‘disingenuous’.

Are people really not cycling just because the roads are ‘dangerous’? Has it occurred to cycling advocates that these motorists who are assumed to be ‘resorting’ to car use for alleged safety reasons actually don’t have the slightest interest in cycling? Why should they? Cycling is not and never will be a replacement for cars. It’s a great transport solution for some, but it’s not suitable for and should not be forced upon the majority. If adults are avoiding bike use because the roads are dangerous, why on Earth are they buying bikes for their kids?

Cycling is and always will be a minority pastime amongst adults. It should be catered for, and cyclists should be protected from dangerous road users, but it’s never going to be a practical transport solution for the majority.

This was the mantra of Blair’s New Labour anti-car government. It’s utter bollocks IMO that some people seem to take for granted as fact. There’s many things wrong with the theory, it screams ‘disingenuous’.

Are people really not cycling just because the roads are ‘dangerous’? Has it occurred to cycling advocates that these motorists who are assumed to be ‘resorting’ to car use for alleged safety reasons actually don’t have the slightest interest in cycling? Why should they? Cycling is not and never will be a replacement for cars. It’s a great transport solution for some, but it’s not suitable for and should not be forced upon the majority. If adults are avoiding bike use because the roads are dangerous, why on Earth are they buying bikes for their kids?

Cycling is and always will be a minority pastime amongst adults. It should be catered for, and cyclists should be protected from dangerous road users, but it’s never going to be a practical transport solution for the majority.
i don't cycle to work because i deem it too dangerous. not only that, but there are some drivers oblivious to bikes and motorbikes, and there is a growing subculture that is going out of their way to make it difficult for cyclists. viral videos of people pushing cyclists off, going up pavements to try and hit them etc. fuck that. it's pathetic, but there's nothing you can do about it. not when the tories are pedalling (no pun intended) some narrative that cyclists are a danger to society.

i don't cycle to work because i deem it too dangerous. not only that, but there are some drivers oblivious to bikes and motorbikes, and there is a growing subculture that is going out of their way to make it difficult for cyclists. viral videos of people pushing cyclists off, going up pavements to try and hit them etc. fuck that. it's pathetic, but there's nothing you can do about it. not when the tories are pedalling (no pun intended) some narrative that cyclists are a danger to society.

There’s some seriously unhinged people behind the wheel. They seem to have the attitude that their car’s body panels are thicker than a cyclist’s skin, and if you get in their way, they’ll ‘move’ you.

I pride myself in being very courteous to cyclists, if I can’t give them more than a car’s width when passing, I don’t pass. Apart from the very real risk of splattering a cyclist's brains all over the place, I don’t think I could face a few years in prison, rotting in a cell, thinking about what I’d done...

My brain is in overdrive when dealing with pedestrians and cyclists. A low speed shunt between cars ends up with a garage job. A low speed shunt with cyclists or pedestrians can end up a funeral parlour job.

Sorry but that entire post is utterly laughable. One look at mode share of the Netherlands or Denmark tells you that cycling literally is a direct replacement for car trips. The vast majority of car trips are under 2km, make those trips safe and convenient for people to cycle and they will, as shown by endless studies.

People are not cycling because it is perceived to be dangerous. Again, endless studies on this which return the same result. People don't even consider cycling as a method of travel because it's terrifying for large parts.

It's not a past time or hobby, it's the future of travel in cities. Don't confuse the two. Same as F1 driving and people who just drive to work.

I live on the top of a mountain with a narrow country road leading up to it with tress and shrubs both sides so you can't see around a lot of turns .

The amount of twats on there race bikes flying down the road this year thinking they are doing the tour de France this summer is crazy . They fly down the road faster than any car it's a miracle one of them hasn't been killed yet .
Feel sorry for who ever they eventually hit that sends them flying over the handle bars , as from my experience I doubt it will be the driver of the cars fault .

A lot of cycle paths aren’t fit for purpose and have only been created as box ticking by local authorities. The amount which once in place are not maintained is very high, why would I want to ride on a cycle path that stops every couple of hundred metres, constantly having to avoid debris which can give me a puncture and having to avoid oblivous pedestrians when I can ride on the road at roughly the same speed as the moving traffic then hop onto the pavement at any red lights then back onto the road.

No different to the cyclist morons putting helmets on with cameras to film themselves antagonising drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back