Death by Dangerous Cycling

One way is to incentivise cycling training rather than mandating it, eg give £50 vouchers to go towards the cost of a bike on completion of a course.
That is not a bad idea. Making people listen on the course is another thing, but then driving is like that. You can only do so much.

“All drivers” do that do they? Right.

When you regularly claim all cyclists are "absolute sewers, all of them", I don't think you can complain at someone branding all drivers.

Last edited:
Its madness that it is 2018 and anyone can jump on a pedal bike and ride on the crammed roads, with no training. People who drive should be allowed on the roads on a cycle. people who dont should have to undertake some basic form of training to ride on the roads.

so does a 5 year old just learning to ride a bike for the first time need to pass a test or are we saying its just for adults? What about teenagers who ride to their mates, do they use the path (illegally) or go on the road without doing a test that they are old enough to take? I agree some training is needed before you hop on to a road on a bike, but I just don't see how it's enforceable unless you ban the sale of bikes to anyone under the age you can take the test

If we’re going to have an inclusive culture on our roads then this.

Cyclists are going to have to accept that they can’t hop from pavement to road, run red lights and cycle without proper training.

Drivers are going to have to accept that they are not the only valid users of the road and that cyclists need extra protection.

I have done proper training, does that mean i can hop from pavement to road and run red lights?

I have done proper training, does that mean i can hop from pavement to road and run red lights?

What happens if you've got prior experience, would that count towards the exam?

Tbh I used to hop on and off roads all the time down sout, but it was at pinch points where a relatively slow mover like a cyclist causes issues. Issues which rarely end with the driver crippled at the cyclists expense.

That is not a bad idea. Making people listen on the course is another thing, but then driving is like that. You can only do so much.

When you regularly claim all cyclists are "absolute sewers, all of them", I don't think you can complain at someone branding all drivers.
As you’re searching my posting history, please take note of what I say about cyclists in Manchester.

All cyclists who use main roads are colossal wankers, fact.

There's nowt more annoying when you're driving and you have to slow down for the tossers.

Disgrace they don't have to pay road tax as well

As you’re searching my posting history, please take note of what I say about cyclists in Manchester.
I was not searching. It just sticks in my mind when a poster repeatedly calls me an 'absolute sewer', just because I own a bicycle. Partly because it is a very odd insult and partly because it is irrational.

Amazing the rage that cyclists inspire in a large amount of drivers, simply for being on the road. Have no fancy for road cycling as see all too often how they're treated on the road, particularly when being passed. Can't imagine it's a great feeling a car flying past inches away from you.

The long and short of it is that the majority of drivers just do not like being slowed down in any way. It really doesn't hurt to slow down behind a cyclist for 30 seconds or so till it's safe to overtake.

Amazing the rage that cyclists inspire in a large amount of drivers, simply for being on the road. Have no fancy for road cycling as see all too often how they're treated on the road, particularly when being passed. Can't imagine it's a great feeling a car flying past inches away from you.

The long and short of it is that the majority of drivers just do not like being slowed down in any way. It really doesn't hurt to slow down behind a cyclist for 30 seconds or so till it's safe to overtake.

One of the daft things is, it is more likely to be the expensive shiney cars that do that, yet even the slightest clip of a cyclist is going to dent or scratch their beloved car. If one saw me wheeling my bike inches away in a car park, they would be panicing, but seem to think it is fine doing 50. They don't realise that if they do clip a cyclist then a scratch is probably the least of their worries. They could face a driving ban or inprisonment for causing death/injury for dangerous driving.

Back