Croft Track Day Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been thinking about Googling things that are a part of understanding how to drive a car successfully around a track. Things like racing line, apex and how to understand the difference between understeer and ovesteer and what to do to handle the car when the car over or understeer's. Can I do that or should I just wait till the ARDS Instructor teaches me on the day? Nothing wrong with a little homework surely.

Been thinking about Googling things that are a part of understanding how to drive a car successfully around a track. Things like racing line, apex and how to understand the difference between understeer and ovesteer and what to do to handle the car when the car over or understeer's. Can I do that or should I just wait till the ARDS Instructor teaches me on the day? Nothing wrong with a little homework surely.
What will you do if the instructor is a lass? Will that ruin your track day experience?

Reactions: PTR
Anyone done a bit of karting and track days?
Is there much difference?

Because I fully tonk karts round the track, and I don't think i see much difference tbh

Speaking of karts, anyone been to that place between Sunderland and Durham? Thinking of booking something for my dad's birthday

What will you do if the instructor is a lass? Will that ruin your track day experience?

How can it ruin it? Bloke or lass I will try to listen and understand.

You arent going to be pushing the car hard enough to worry about oversteer or understeer man.

Why is talk of the understeer and oversteer part of the lesson then?

This.

I was slightly annoyed at how slow it seemed.

Given I will only be doing 3 laps in both the 348 and the 570S I will be almost glad if I go slowly. I don't want to waste a second. I intend to make the most of every millisecond of it.

Last edited:
Speaking of karts, anyone been to that place between Sunderland and Durham? Thinking of booking something for my dad's birthday
Karting North East? Been there a couple of times, it's canny, decent track. Last time I looked it was about £60 though which I thought was a bit pricey.

Why is talk of the understeer and oversteer part of the lesson then?
If you skid at any point on a track day it's game over and your session is ended. Understeer and oversteer talk will be only be how you can prevent it. Remember they're letting people loose with mega expensive sports cars so they aren't daft enough to let people drive beyond their ability and stick them into a tyre barrier.

If you skid at any point on a track day it's game over and your session is ended. Understeer and oversteer talk will be only be how you can prevent it. Remember they're letting people loose with mega expensive sports cars so they aren't daft enough to let people drive beyond their ability and stick them into a tyre barrier.
Even a small skid and they cut the session?

Anyone done a bit of karting and track days?
Is there much difference?

Because I fully tonk karts round the track, and I don't think i see much difference tbh

I've done both.

Karting is far better. As you say you thrash a kart around. It's against others and you don't care about the kart.
Track day experience you sit as a passenger in a car. Then go for 2 or 3 laps as a driver. The course I went to was designed so there were no long straights and just a load of tight corners. Basically so you don't have an opportunity to ever really put your foot down or get to any decent speed. over 100 quid to sit in someone elses car for a bit. Absolute waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back