CC :: Gloucestershire v Durham

All over for the day
Our batting was iffy and Ill disciplined
We need early wickets in the morning to keep in the game
Our bowling was ok other than Borthwick who surrendered any momentum to Glos.
We have to up our game in the field also as a couple of opportunities missed there as well
First hour in the morning I think will be crucial as to whether we can claw ourselves into a more positive position
Agree! Just think we could have got nearer to 200 if we hadn't panicked mid innings and made them bowl us out.

One of the problems with English cricket is that there aren’t more pitches like this imo.

Our batsmen then fall to bits in Asia and everyone moans. It’s an interesting watch.
Nah, you misunderstood my point. I’m not against turning pitches, but no pitch should be turning square OR bouncing over the head of the keeper (who is standing up) from a full length.

If it was doing shit like that off pace they’d abandon the game. Like in Jamaica in 98.

Could be a bun fight at that meeting to decide what happens especially if they go back to 2 divisions.
As far as Durham are concerned not really that fussed. They are definitely on the up and would be competitive in either league.

Of course we do not know what the forthcoming meetings will decide about the divisional structure for the start of 2022, but there appear to me to be two clear options:

Either:
1) Use positions and structure as originally planned for 2022 before Covid wrecked everything (ie 10 teams in Division 1 and 8 in Division 2) with Notts (as relegated 2019) in Div 2 and X y z promoted to Div 1;

Or
2) Use final (average) points according to 2021 results. By simply adding the points from the ten group games to the points for the four (or three for Surrey and Durham) games actually played in Divs 1, 2 & 3, we can get a single table. The top ten go into the new Div 1 and the bottom eight into Div 2.

On that basis, according to my calculations, positions as of Monday night (on average points for all teams) would be as follows:

1 Nottinghamshire
2 Hampshire
3 Lancashire
4 Essex
5 Yorkshire
6 Durham
7 Warwickshire
8 Gloucestershire
9 Kent
10 Northamptonshire

11 Somerset
12 Leicestershire
13 Surrey
14 Middlesex
15 Glamorgan
16 Worcestershire
17 Sussex
18 Derbyshire

This will of course change a bit at the end of the current round of games but, as currently shown would mean Notts returning to Div1, Durham going up too, and relegations for Surrey and Somerset.

I am not optimistic that the Counties will be brave enough though!
Of course we do not know what the forthcoming meetings will decide about the divisional structure for the start of 2022, but there appear to me to be two clear options:

Either:
1) Use positions and structure as originally planned for 2022 before Covid wrecked everything (ie 10 teams in Division 1 and 8 in Division 2) with Notts (as relegated 2019) in Div 2 and Lancs, Northants, Gloucester promoted to Div 1;

Or
2) Use final (average) points according to 2021 results. By simply adding the points from the ten group games to the points for the four (or three for Surrey and Durham) games actually played in Divs 1, 2 & 3, we can get a single table. The top ten go into the new Div 1 and the bottom eight into Div 2.

On that basis, according to my calculations, positions as of Monday night (on average points for all teams) would be as follows:

1 Nottinghamshire
2 Hampshire
3 Lancashire
4 Essex
5 Yorkshire
6 Durham
7 Warwickshire
8 Gloucestershire
9 Kent
10 Northamptonshire

11 Somerset
12 Leicestershire
13 Surrey
14 Middlesex
15 Glamorgan
16 Worcestershire
17 Sussex
18 Derbyshire

This will of course change a bit at the end of the current round of games but, as currently shown would mean Notts returning to Div1, Durham going up too, and relegations for Surrey and Somerset.

I am not optimistic that the Counties will be brave enough though!

Last edited:
Why are people crying about the wicket? We won the toss and could have bowled first. Should be asking questions of the guy who made that call then threw down pies for seven an over on a wicket suited to his bowling (not to mention another forgettable innings with the bat). This Durham team is the best one in years and should have been fighting for the trophy IMO but the results have not matched the performances thanks in part to Borthwick's passive captaincy and inability to hold down an end. Trevaskis needs to start every game next season and SB needs to focus on his batting.

Why are people crying about the wicket? We won the toss and could have bowled first. Should be asking questions of the guy who made that call then threw down pies for seven an over on a wicket suited to his bowling (not to mention another forgettable innings with the bat). This Durham team is the best one in years and should have been fighting for the trophy IMO but the results have not matched the performances thanks in part to Borthwick's passive captaincy and inability to hold down an end. Trevaskis needs to start every game next season and SB needs to focus on his batting.

You accuse people of ‘crying’ and then proceed to cry like f*ck about the captain. He wasn’t to blame for 9 Durham batsmen losing their wicket.

Oh, and you missed the point but I’m not wasting my time explaining it again…

Probably the right decision to bat-that wicket is only going to get worse. Borthwick's decision to bring hmself on may well be the deciding point of the game- he just hasn't got the control necessary in these situations. His captaincy is passive at best,indecisive more often than not imo. Much as I admire his enthusiasm,just not captaincy material.

Last edited:
Probably the right decision to bat-that wicket is only going to get worse. Borthwick's decision to bring hmself on may well be the deciding point of the game- he just hasn't got the control necessary in these situations. His captaincy is passive at best,indecisive more often than not imo. Much as I admire his enthusiasm,just not captaincy material.

Leggies usually do better in the second innings, get a lead of 150 and he could be crucial.

You accuse people of ‘crying’ and then proceed to cry like f*ck about the captain. He wasn’t to blame for 9 Durham batsmen losing their wicket.

Oh, and you missed the point but I’m not wasting my time explaining it again…
And you're crying because I criticised the MLF SB. You seem to have been in a rut with me since I disagreed with you over something trivial weeks ago.

The point is, however bad the wicket, we had first dibs on it and surrendered the initiative due to poor toss decision, bowling and batting much of which lands at SB's feet.
Leggies usually do better in the second innings, get a lead of 150 and he could be crucial.
As the man says, SB doesn't have the control. Also doesn't have the bowling variation IMO but love to see him take a five fer and win the match obviously, although Trev is more likely to.
Seems too nice a guy. Colly had a steely edge and wasn't afraid to bollock people.

Last edited:
And you're crying because I criticised the MLF SB. You seem to have been in a rut with me since I disagreed with you over something trivial weeks ago.

The point is, however bad the wicket, we had first dibs on it and surrendered the initiative due to poor toss decision, bowling and batting much of which lands at SB's feet.

What? I don’t remember a disagreement to be honest, so the ‘rut’ is only in your head. I’ve explained my reasoning for complaints about the pitch. Regarding your crying about SB, it matters not that he’s a MLF, what matters is that it’s absurd to lay the blame for our current predicament at his door.

Are you suggesting we should’ve bowled first? If not, the initiative was lost by the batsmen. Posting 140 on first innings on a raging bunsen is purely on the batsmen, because if there’s one thing about raging bunsens - they don’t improve, they only get worse.

Gloucestershire have a Test quality spinner in their team, we have a lad who has only played 14 FC games who is finding his feet and an at best, occasional leg-spinner. So with that being said, we absolutely HAD to bat first. We certainly don’t want to have to bat last on this pitch. We were in a good position at 2 down, then again at 4 down to go and atleast make 180-200 and given what we’ve seen in their innings would’ve probably have been good enough for a lead.

As it is, we’ll have to work very hard in the second innings to haul ourselves into contention.

As the man says, SB doesn't have the control. Also doesn't have the bowling variation IMO but love to see him take a five fer and win the match obviously, although Trev is more likely to.

Won’t find me arguing with that, but as I mentioned above - it’s clear our strengths lie in other departments than the spin bowling corps.

Think it's a bit early to put blame for a loss for what was only 10-15 excess runs, and it's a fair call to bring himself on to see if anything can happen. He has taken wickets this season, surprising even me.

Think it's a bit early to put blame for a loss for what was only 10-15 excess runs, and it's a fair call to bring himself on to see if anything can happen. He has taken wickets this season, surprising even me.
Hey, we haven't lost yet. Agree, maybe a touch of captain Hindsight about my criticism but it was a gamble bowling someone who is always likely to leak runs in a low scoring contest. Rushy and Raine at one end,Trev at the other was mantaining pressure.

Double portion of Harvey's Bristol Cream 😃🍷
As a fellow left hander that Lees dismissal was as ropey as a Alex Hales catch.🙄

Last edited:

Back