CC :: Gloucestershire v Durham

Should be a decent game with what appears to still be two motivated counties playing fist class cricket and the weather forecast decent.
I notice they have draft in a Pakistani spinner so he could be a handful especially at this time of year on probably a used wicket.

Should be a decent game with what appears to still be two motivated counties playing fist class cricket and the weather forecast decent.
I notice they have draft in a Pakistani spinner so he could be a handful especially at this time of year on probably a used wicket.
Yes, that seems to suggest that Gloucs think that there's still something to play for which backs up the times report that the plan is to return to 2 divisions next year. That would make this game very important.

Marty’s match notes (below) provide a short summary of the season, I agree with most of it, it’s been a real success generally this year in my view and there’s a lot to be excited about for 2022.

IT seems like five minutes ago when I was driving to Nottingham for the start of the County Championship season in early April, looking forward to the six months of cricket which lay ahead. And now, here we are at the end of the campaign in Bristol.

Generally it’s been a decent season for Durham. They reached a cup final and have only lost to the one side in the championship, albeit that side Essex beat them twice. They also earned more points than 11 other teams in the first phase of the competition.

They have had one of the leading run-makers in the country, in championship terms, in David Bedingham and one of the leading wicket-takers in Chris Rushworth.

Bedingham was the first player to
700, 800 and 900 runs this season.
He is 132 runs behind Sussex’ Tom
Haines, who was the first player to 1,000 runs. Bedingham wasn’t helped by the loss of the Surrey game. Nor by the fact Durham only batted once in their last two games having amassed big first innings leads.

Sadly they couldn’t get the last pair out at Northants and had to settle for a frustrating draw in a repeat of the game there in 2014. They also lost a whole day to the weather.
The battle to see who finishes top of the charts will go to the wire this week. The tables show how tight it is.

They also boasted the top two batsmen in the One Day Cup in Graham Clark and Alex Lees. So all in all it has been a good season and plenty of progress has been made. The final challenge now lies in an away game against Gloucestershire at a ground where they haven’t won in the championship before.

Victory this week would see them finish second in Division Two. It’s doubtful they could win the group but if Northants can manage a win at Chelmsford and reduce Essex to just three bowling points there is a tiny chance they could do it.

Durham would need maximum points to shade it by an average of .25 points. The division is being decided on average points per game because of the cancellation of the Surrey game a few weeks ago.”

Yes, that seems to suggest that Gloucs think that there's still something to play for which backs up the times report that the plan is to return to 2 divisions next year. That would make this game very important.
I think if they go back to 2 divisions it will probably be on what was supposed to be the divisions at the start of 2020 season but you never know so Durham need to go for it just in case they do it on this season's final positions.

Any word on the squad ? Should imagine the same eleven from last week plus Poynter, Campbell and Salisbury. Not sure if Dickson is recovering from injury still ?

I think if they go back to 2 divisions it will probably be on what was supposed to be the divisions at the start of 2020 season but you never know so Durham need to go for it just in case they do it on this season's final positions.
Surely the can't decide divisions based on placings from 2019, they've played two years worth of cricket since then.

Teams have changed, players come and gone

Marty’s match notes (below) provide a short summary of the season, I agree with most of it, it’s been a real success generally this year in my view and there’s a lot to be excited about for 2022.

IT seems like five minutes ago when I was driving to Nottingham for the start of the County Championship season in early April, looking forward to the six months of cricket which lay ahead. And now, here we are at the end of the campaign in Bristol.

Generally it’s been a decent season for Durham. They reached a cup final and have only lost to the one side in the championship, albeit that side Essex beat them twice. They also earned more points than 11 other teams in the first phase of the competition.

They have had one of the leading run-makers in the country, in championship terms, in David Bedingham and one of the leading wicket-takers in Chris Rushworth.

Bedingham was the first player to
700, 800 and 900 runs this season.
He is 132 runs behind Sussex’ Tom
Haines, who was the first player to 1,000 runs. Bedingham wasn’t helped by the loss of the Surrey game. Nor by the fact Durham only batted once in their last two games having amassed big first innings leads.

Sadly they couldn’t get the last pair out at Northants and had to settle for a frustrating draw in a repeat of the game there in 2014. They also lost a whole day to the weather.
The battle to see who finishes top of the charts will go to the wire this week. The tables show how tight it is.

They also boasted the top two batsmen in the One Day Cup in Graham Clark and Alex Lees. So all in all it has been a good season and plenty of progress has been made. The final challenge now lies in an away game against Gloucestershire at a ground where they haven’t won in the championship before.

Victory this week would see them finish second in Division Two. It’s doubtful they could win the group but if Northants can manage a win at Chelmsford and reduce Essex to just three bowling points there is a tiny chance they could do it.

Durham would need maximum points to shade it by an average of .25 points. The division is being decided on average points per game because of the cancellation of the Surrey game a few weeks ago.”
It’s been a fabulous year. We’ve had massive struggles with the bat in particular in the past seasons, so to not only resolve that issue but excel batting wise is a real positive. Likewise with white ball cricket, thought we were a bit unlucky in the T20 and got to the one day final, so for a county that generally can’t play white ball cricket that marks real progress too. Can’t wait to see how we improve further in the winter

Surely the can't decide divisions based on placings from 2019, they've played two years worth of cricket since then.

Teams have changed, players come and gone
I don't know but if they don't then there are going to be some unhappy counties. I suppose the counties will have to sort it out themselves and come up with the best solution. Although they still have to vote on which system they are going to have first.

I don't know but if they don't then there are going to be some unhappy counties. I suppose the counties will have to sort it out themselves and come up with the best solution. Although they still have to vote on which system they are going to have first.
See link below to a 20/12/2020 news item on the Durham website about the 2021 CC competition. It alludes to the 2022 arrangements in the paragraph:

“How was this structure decided upon and will it be in place for future years?
The chairs of the First-Class Counties agreed this revised structure via a vote. It will be for next season only with the aim of helping to mitigate the impact of COVID-19.
Next year a review and consultation is due to be held between the First-Class Counties, the ECB and other stakeholders regarding the men’s domestic structure for 2022 and beyond.”

The ECB made it quite clear at the beginning of 2020 that there would be no promotion or relegation that year but they have not done so publicly this year, relying instead on the statement above which appears to leave the door open for other options.

See link below to a 20/12/2020 news item on the Durham website about the 2021 CC competition. It alludes to the 2022 arrangements in the paragraph:

“How was this structure decided upon and will it be in place for future years?
The chairs of the First-Class Counties agreed this revised structure via a vote. It will be for next season only with the aim of helping to mitigate the impact of COVID-19.
Next year a review and consultation is due to be held between the First-Class Counties, the ECB and other stakeholders regarding the men’s domestic structure for 2022 and beyond.”

The ECB made it quite clear at the beginning of 2020 that there would be no promotion or relegation that year but they have not done so publicly this year, relying instead on the statement above which appears to leave the door open for other options.
Could be a bun fight at that meeting to decide what happens especially if they go back to 2 divisions.
As far as Durham are concerned not really that fussed. They are definitely on the up and would be competitive in either league.

I've enjoyed the one day cup campaign but whilst the red ball stuff has been encouraging it has been a farce with the format since mid July Vs Nottinghamshire which turned into a dead rubber. See how we go tomorrow, an important game for some players trying to get contracts. Best of luck lads

Slightly off topic but anyone know what is up with Carse?. I don't think he had played since the 💯 and apparently had a minor niggle but has disappeared fir the last 6 weeks if the season.

Back