CC :: Gloucestershire v Durham

He is obsessed with Borthwick. I would love to know the back story. It’s not normal.
I'll turn that comment on it's head and ask why Borthwick should be above criticism? His bowling, running between the wickets and leadership have been very questionable on several occasions; all of these shortcomings have been in abundant evidence in this game. We are lacking in 2 departments from being a very good team -strong leadership and quality spin bowling,Borthwick provides neither.

I'll turn that comment on it's head and ask why Borthwick should be above criticism? His bowling, running between the wickets and leadership have been very questionable on several occasions; all of these shortcomings have been in abundant evidence in this game. We are lacking in 2 departments from being a very good team -strong leadership and quality spin bowling,Borthwick provides neither.
I don't - hes had a poor season but honestly if there's a poster with a higher percentage of negative posts about a single player than Smoker with Borthwick I would be astonished. Having said that I think there has been a lot of ill educated rubbish spouted about his captaincy.

I don't - hes had a poor season but honestly if there's a poster with a higher percentage of negative posts about a single player than Smoker with Borthwick I would be astonished. Having said that I think there has been a lot of ill educated rubbish spouted about his captaincy.
Yes,one man's meet is another man's poison, what's ill-educated rubbish to one is reasoned logic to another. There's ample evidence for me that Borthwick is neither a good leader nor a good spin bowler. Incidentally, it's ill-educated not ill educated.

He's a proven,class no3 batsman. I suspect that the pressures of captaincy have affected his batting.
Let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are now a much stronger side than at any time since “the crisis” with a very good argument for persuading the forthcoming meeting that we be put into Div 1 next year. Sure, we need some reinforcements and more improvements, but we’re on the right track.

Yes,one man's meet is another man's poison, what's ill-educated rubbish to one is reasoned logic to another. There's ample evidence for me that Borthwick is neither a good leader nor a good spin bowler. Incidentally, it's ill-educated not ill educated.
Now that is ill-educated. ;)

Really? I think the team spirit this year and the performances of many players have been excellent. Durham's performances have been significantly better this year and that is in no small part down to the culture set out by the captain.

Now that is ill-educated. ;)

Really? I think the team spirit this year and the performances of many players have been excellent. Durham's performances have been significantly better this year and that is in no small part down to the culture set out by the captain.
And I respect your opinion.
Disagree with it but respect it.

Last edited:
And I respect your opinion.
Very patronising and unnecessary response. The other poster is correct though - the leadership within the team in all formats has been exceptional this season. We’ve had many players playing right at the top of their game consistently throughout the season, which is a key sign of strong leadership and a good and helpful culture built from both the management and the captaincy of the squad. Not really sure how you can criticise that aspect of our club given how well we have done this season. Tactically in games we mightn’t appear the brightest, but we don’t really have a viable and consistent spin option, especially in the longer format, and that’s hardly Badgers fault is it? He is a batsman who bowls a bit, never claimed to be nor should be treat as a front line spinner, and the lack of a real spinner has made the tactical side of the game very difficult at times for us. But not sure how that’s his leaderships fault in any way

It’s clear to everyone we need a decent spinner for next season, so that has to be the number one priority for the club over the winter, and I’m sure that they’ve recognised it as they addressed the major problems from last season over the previous winter too

But please use some context and remember how unbelievably shit we were just 12 months ago - we’ve come a long way but it isn’t a miracle fix

I'm defending the right of an individual to express an opinion without it be labelled "ill educated rubbish" which I felt was necessary. No intention to be patronising whatsoever.

I'm defending the right of an individual to express an opinion without it be labelled "ill educated rubbish" which I felt was necessary. No intention to be patronising whatsoever.
I appreciate an excellent post by TravellingMackem but I didn’t think you were being patronising tbf. If you were it went right over my head :lol:

He is obsessed with Borthwick. I would love to know the back story. It’s not normal.
Typical attack the poster not the argument crack.

I really like SB. He's from within spitting distance of where I grew up, a top lad by all accounts, comes across great in interviews and was absolutely fantastic in his first stint at Durham. I didn't even have any beef with him moving to Surrey when we were demoted.

None of this clouds my judgement.

This season he has been in the sort of batting and bowling form that would have seen anyone else dropped to the second XI and let several games drift away to draws with passive captaincy, Northants the other week being the most obvious example. Other than one or two games, we've "played all the cricket", yet ended up with a lower half finish. How? Umpires, rain, wickets, scheduling, bad luck - all the usual explanations but never look close to home, like why has he got men back on the boundary when Northants are trying to block out a draw, and why is he bringing himself on ten overs too late, when the opposition has been filling their boots from our tired seamers and we just need to get through a few overs to the new ball. He's arguably kept Trevaskis out of the team who has more than justified his selection the last few games - with ball and bat.

But for the fact I can't actually think of any obvious leadership types who deserve to be in the team on merit (Eckersley proved to be a poor captain in the BWT), I'd be tempted to make him white ball captain and play himself back into contention for the CC side in the seconds. Trevaskis must play every game next season and SB must improve his batting to warrant selection on at least one discipline. The fact Surrey fans are saying this is exactly what he was like for them should concern you....none so blind as will not see.
Very patronising and unnecessary response. The other poster is correct though - the leadership within the team in all formats has been exceptional this season. We’ve had many players playing right at the top of their game consistently throughout the season, which is a key sign of strong leadership and a good and helpful culture built from both the management and the captaincy of the squad. Not really sure how you can criticise that aspect of our club given how well we have done this season. Tactically in games we mightn’t appear the brightest, but we don’t really have a viable and consistent spin option, especially in the longer format, and that’s hardly Badgers fault is it? He is a batsman who bowls a bit, never claimed to be nor should be treat as a front line spinner, and the lack of a real spinner has made the tactical side of the game very difficult at times for us. But not sure how that’s his leaderships fault in any way

It’s clear to everyone we need a decent spinner for next season, so that has to be the number one priority for the club over the winter, and I’m sure that they’ve recognised it as they addressed the major problems from last season over the previous winter too

But please use some context and remember how unbelievably shit we were just 12 months ago - we’ve come a long way but it isn’t a miracle fix
The captain's role is to implement the tactics. The coaches get the best out of players.

Did you miss Trevaskis's five-fer? He has averaged 20 with the ball in his three CC games and was good in the RLC. Give him a run,

Last edited:

I really like SB. He's from within spitting distance of where I grew up, a top lad by all accounts, comes across great in interviews and was absolutely fantastic in his first stint at Durham. I didn't even have any beef with him moving to Surrey when we were demoted.

This season he has been in the sort of batting and bowling form that would have seen anyone else dropped to the second XI and let several games drift away to draws with passive captaincy, Northants the other week being the most obvious example. Other than one or two games, we've "played all the cricket", yet ended up with a lower half finish. How? Umpires, rain, wickets, scheduling, bad luck - all the usual explanations but never look close to home, like why has he got men back on the boundary when Northants are trying to block out a draw, and why is he bringing himself on ten overs too late, when the opposition has been filling their boots from our tired seamers and we just need to get through a few overs to the new ball. He's arguably kept Trevaskis out of the team who has more than justified his selection the last few games - with ball and bat.

But for the fact I can't actually think of any obvious leadership types who deserve to be in the team on merit (Eckersley proved to be a poor captain in the BWT), I'd be tempted to make him white ball captain and play himself back into contention for the CC side in the seconds. Trevaskis must play every game next season and SB must improve his batting to warrant selection on at least one discipline. The fact Surrey fans are saying this is exactly what he was like for them should concern you....none so blind as will not see.

The captain's role is to implement the tactics. The coaches get the best out of players.

Did you miss Trevaskis's five-fer? He has averaged 20 with the ball in his three CC games and was good in the RLC. Give him a run,
The role of the captain and coach definitely aren’t as clear cut as that. All the best captains have helped cultivate a team spirit to improve results and Borthwick has definitely done that and the team has improved as a result of his captaincy. Like any captains sometimes he can get things wrong tactically but more often than not we are talking hindsight stuff. Team gets all the credit after a good result and Borthwicks captaincy to blame after a poor one.

It is pretty obvious you have a problem with Scott Borthwick, wish you would be honest and say what it is.
In the 1st innings at Gloucester he got a very good ball and nicked off for a first ball duck. Your comment was "not to forget another forgettable innings with the bat".
In the same innings when Durham were struggling at 125-7 Trevaskis slogged his very first ball to deep square leg for a first ball duck. Your comment ? Absolutely Nothing !

It is pretty obvious you have a problem with Scott Borthwick, wish you would be honest and say what it is.
In the 1st innings at Gloucester he got a very good ball and nicked off for a first ball duck. Your comment was "not to forget another forgettable innings with the bat".
In the same innings when Durham were struggling at 125-7 Trevaskis slogged his very first ball to deep square leg for a first ball duck. Your comment ? Absolutely Nothing !
It's pretty obvious you're his biggest fan by your username and therefore lacking any objectivity.

Trevaskis sounded awful but I didn't see it or comment as I wasn't watching the match at that time. And he isn't picked as a batsman, but as a number nine spin bowler who can bat a bit. Given he took six wickets I'd say he did his job, wouldn't you?

It's pretty obvious you're his biggest fan by your username and therefore lacking any objectivity.

Trevaskis sounded awful but I didn't see it or comment as I wasn't watching the match at that time. And he isn't picked as a batsman, but as a number nine spin bowler who can bat a bit. Given he took six wickets I'd say he did his job, wouldn't you?
Badger is a generic nickname for an elderly cricket fan. I used it well before I heard Scott Borthwick had been called that. I have several friends, up and down the country who are mad keen cricket fans and they call themselves "BADGERS".
You clearly are a keen cricket fan but you will have calm down and be more supportive of cricketers and cricket in general before we would call you a BADGER.

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that we are now a much stronger side than at any time since “the crisis” with a very good argument for persuading the forthcoming meeting that we be put into Div 1 next year. Sure, we need some reinforcements and more improvements, but we’re on the right track.
Exactly. Borthwick's batting hasn't fired this season in the way we know it can, and I don't think it did at Surrey either.
But there's a lot to like about the team this season, it may have ended on a downstroke, a bit of a whimper, but lots of positives and lots to look forward to. Roll on next season.

Back