Wettest match you've ever been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP asked what was the wettest you have been at a game and I gave my answer. If you don't like it, tough.

I think you have also been totally inconsiderate to my financial situation at the time. I could never have had the money to get a season ticket. THAT is why I couldn't go much. I could not even afford my first car which was only £2000. You can imagine how little I had for so long till about 2015.

Frankly, with you as a Sunderland fan I am now starting to wish I had if that is your reply.

I also notice out of 3 pages of replies and most of them tell of how drenched they were you did not reply with the same attitude to them.
f***ing hell man. I thought you must have been about 8 at the told and it was a joke based on the fact we lost and you were drenched.
To dignify your frankly offensive question with an answer (be fortunate to get that much from me) I would rather have cut my knackers off with a bolt cutter than ever be a mag. Had it not been for the 1992 FA Cup Final which was my first proper sight (any many others also I am guessing) of Sunderland town center bedecked in red and white to any degree since 1973 when I was won over by the passion generated by the occasion, I always say, I probably would have considered the mags (do we still call them skunks? It is a more apt name since they stink to high fuck), but even then I probably would have still said no. There was something about the attitudes of them I have never liked and never will.

Same. No offence meant man. I presumed you were a kid at the time and it was a joke.

I realise and fully appreciate your situation, so all apologies.

Last edited:

f***ing hell man. I thought you must have been about 8 at the told and it was a joke based on the fact we lost and you were drenched.

I was close to my 19th birthday on May 5, 1995. My big day is a the end of the month.

Well, OK then. Because I am about 20-odd pages or so from finishing the book "Stokoe, Sunderland & 73" and I am going to finish it in record time and I am in that sort of SAFC passionate mood I will accept it was a joke and say sorry.
Same. No offence meant man. I presumed you were a kid at the time and it was a joke.

I realise and fully appreciate your situation, so all apologies.

Mine to you mate for kicking off.

HA'WAY THE LADS!!

Last edited:
I this this is the one i was thinking of. Was Souness in the Boro side ? I remember at the end heading out of the ground and having to plodge through a flooded area near the toilets, and hoping it was just rainwater.
Yes
I this this is the one i was thinking of. Was Souness in the Boro side ? I remember at the end heading out of the ground and having to plodge through a flooded area near the toilets, and hoping it was just rainwater.
Yes and both their goals were scored by Alan Willey from Houghton.I wear glasses and can honestly say the whole game was a blur,never been wetter at a game.

Souness did play, in what was a very good team:

Oooops - just noticed it's a SEB!

Last edited:
1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".

Drenched in the roker end v palace mid 90s at home got the train home the steam coming off our clothes was unreal my programme was embedded into my coat lol

Drenched in the roker end v palace mid 90s at home got the train home the steam coming off our clothes was unreal my programme was embedded into my coat lol

I wonder if this is the game i'm recalling (purely because you mention it, and not because i remember it being soggy). Was that twat Allison poncing about with his cigar and funny hat ? Not a happy memory. Cup game ?

Hearts away pre-season 1989, open end at Tynecastle, raining so hard most of the crowd tried to get down to the stinking bogs at HT. Remember my Bovril was filling up faster than I could drink it. The match was most notable for being one of the few times The Gabbiadini brothers were on the pitch together. It stopped after the game and a good evening out in Rose Street. That said, a dozen times in normal rain was a lot more miserable on the Roker End if the wind was coming in off the North Sea.

Cup game vs Blyth 1977. Car got stuck on the way there in a flood and eventually we managed to turn back, was like the Poseidon adventure if you were aged 6 like I was.

One of the games in the build up to the 92 Cup final, where you needed to collect vouchers for the ballet.

I was in the roker end, think it might have been Ipswich Town. We won and I can remember norman making a worldie save. I couldn't have been any wetter, even if I jumped in a swimming pool.

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.
Was there as well , even me jockers were soaked ! Used to hate going there even though I lived in Thornaby at the time. FTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back