Wettest match you've ever been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".

Italy v Kazakhstan, Water Polo during the 2012 London Olympics.

All the players were up to their necks in water and the conditions were so unplayable that none of them were actually able to even kick the ball.

Soaked right through on numerous occasions. One sticks in my mind but can’t quite remember when. Pompey away, pissing down all day, in open seated end! Terrible man!

Mags when they invaded half the pitch and Ipswich when they were flying and we humped them at Roker early 90's, the Roker End was a daft idea, wasn't so much the amount of rain but the fact it was freezing as well.

I can't remember which match it was, but it was a night match at Roker and it was lashing it down and my Dad said I had to go in the Roker End with him just to experience being soaked through to the skin at the match. It would have been around 1989-ish. I think he thought it was character building 😁

Also that Newcastle match where the pitch had standing water on it and it really should have been postponed. I had a duffel coat on and the coat weighed about a ton by the end of the match.

SAFC Wise....away v Notts County in the third division is a memory.

But the wettest game was at Feethams in Darlo’s promotion season when they went up to Div 3.
It was the final game v Torquay and if it had not been a nothing game with Dario already promoted and Torquay safe it would have been abandoned well before the end. The pitch really was unplayable with huge pools of standing water glistening under the floodlights....but nobody gave a shiny shite!

1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".

That Sheffield game my mate had swapped his ticket to sit with me in the uncovered section :lol:
2nd half was blazing sunshine and everyone had steam coming off them.

Also Newcastle away, uncovered Leazes end, absolutely hammered down all day, think some twat scored a free kick and we lost 1-0 (early 90s).

Tranmere for the 4-1 defeat closely followed by Portsmouth away in the 90's. Everyone had a coat except me, I boldly declared in never rains in the sunny South as the van left Spennymoor. How wrong I was.

Mags '99 was wearing a red baseball cap and the dye ran out into the white t shirt I had on. Me the step son had to strip off in the yard before entering the house - everything absolutely soaked. But what a night and the fact it was more like a monsoon made it all the better as opposed to our normal downpours.

3. I was also there. Everyone from the uncovered bit you mention moved away up the aisles and huddled up but being 17 and being obsessed with proving how tough I was, I stuck it out and got properly drenched.

Got soaked at Wigan when we won 4-1. The rain blowing in from the corners and lashing across the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back