Wettest match you've ever been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".
Drove you and GR down there. 1st match together??

We played Calais in a friendly in 2000-2001ish(?). Open stand, absolutely pissing down. I think Hutchison got taken off and then put back on again, and I seem to remember Danny Dichio scored the winner. Absolutely soaked to the skin.
Aye. Wettest weekend ever. I lived 7 mins walk from tube and the start of that weekend was the only time I got the bus there or back in 18yrs......it just delayed the inevitable. “Je Suisse drawked madamasell”

Mags '99 was wearing a red baseball cap and the dye ran out into the white t shirt I had on. Me the step son had to strip off in the yard before entering the house - everything absolutely soaked. But what a night and the fact it was more like a monsoon made it all the better as opposed to our normal downpours.
We had to drive back down to lincoln absolutely soaked to the skin!!

We played Calais in a friendly in 2000-2001ish(?). Open stand, absolutely pissing down. I think Hutchison got taken off and then put back on again, and I seem to remember Danny Dichio scored the winner. Absolutely soaked to the skin.

Good shout. I was at that game too. I can remember the SAFC fans were doing the conga in the rain, much to the disbelief of the locals.

I took the dry option that day, went in the seats with the Calais fans. Have still got a Calais scarf at home somewhere.

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.
I was there too and it was pretty wet to put it mildly. Good first half then tapered off in the second.

The week where we played 3 home games in 8 days (plus an away game squeezed in the middle) when they did the voucher scheme for the 92 Cup Final.
We played top of the league Ipswich on the Tuesday and won 3-0, then lost 0-1 to bottom of the league Plymouth 2 days later. Shilton was in goal for them.
One of those games (I forget which) it pissed down for the full 90 mins

Probably last July. Livingston v Berwick Rangers in the group stage of the Scottish League Cup. Quite lucky that one was our pick that day. Glasgow Central was closed for most of the day due to flooding so if we'd tried to go to Partick or Morton or anywhere west of Livi we would've been stuffed.

Stoke away 87 I think, it was a Tuesday night game, absolutely pissed down and should never have gone ahead. Early doors I think Paul Lemon had a shot,beat the keeper and was going in, he turned away and started to celebrate, so did we, then the ball hit a massive puddle on the goal line and was just bobbing around in the water on the line. There was standing water all over the pitch. Oh and we lost 3-0 and don't think we had another shot on goal. Happy days 😂

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.
Saved me posting Dreadnought. Didn’t need to think about it. Got absolutely soaked to the skin and like you say we lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back