Wettest match you've ever been to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cov Shity, it was Highfield Road so a few years ago when they actually owned a ground. Sure it lashed down the whole first half and blew a gale, think we were 3-0 down at half time but lost despite the wind in the second half. Remember our goal kick in first half coming back into our area, could have been hailstones as well?

Accrington away last season. York away 75/76, Notts County at home the same season. Felt sorry for anyone in the Roker that day( there wasnt many) the bottom of Chester Road was flooded after the match. We won and went top of the league.

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.
Me anarl, stripped down to the kegs on the way back.

May 5, 1995. We played Tranmere Rovers in my one and only visit to Roker Park which was a game broadcast on Tyne Tees. It was chucking it down as I was stood in the Clock Stand close to the Roker End. We lost 1-0.

Mags Sellars free kick one .That game only went ahead because it was on the box .Plymouth home 88/89 season sure they put the Plymouth fans in the clockstand seats .

Match didn't actually go ahead but Dublin pre season 2008. Stood in the pub before the match when the news came through it was off, one of the streets outside was flooded and the water was up to car bonnets.

Otherwise Accrington last season

Possibly the QPR Good Friday game, If I remember correctly we were cruising 2-0 and ended up drawing. I went down to West Brom on the Monday as well and we blew that one too in the final minutes. That was the end of our top two chance and we ended up with the Charlton game.

Probably my first ever match v Birmingham in Autumn 1993. It was so wet John Kay rowed off the pitch when being carried off on a stretcher.

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.

I this this is the one i was thinking of. Was Souness in the Boro side ? I remember at the end heading out of the ground and having to plodge through a flooded area near the toilets, and hoping it was just rainwater.

1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".
Scotland v England 1985 East Terrace uncovered. Pissed it down all afternoon

May 5, 1995. We played Tranmere Rovers in my one and only visit to Roker Park which was a game broadcast on Tyne Tees. It was chucking it down as I was stood in the Clock Stand close to the Roker End. We lost 1-0.
I'm glad you didn't go much back then. Did you never consider being a mag?

The OP asked what was the wettest you have been at a game and I gave my answer. If you don't like it, tough.

I think you have also been totally inconsiderate to my financial situation at the time. I could never have had the money to get a season ticket. THAT is why I couldn't go much. I could not even afford my first car which was only £2000. You can imagine how little I had for so long till about 2015.

Frankly, with you as a Sunderland fan I am now starting to wish I had if that is your reply.

I also notice out of 3 pages of replies and most of them tell of how drenched they were you did not reply with the same attitude to them.

Last edited:

To dignify your frankly offensive question with an answer (be fortunate to get that much from me) I would rather have cut my knackers off with a bolt cutter than ever be a mag. Had it not been for the 1992 FA Cup Final which was my first proper sight (any many others also I am guessing) of Sunderland town center bedecked in red and white to any degree since 1973 when I was won over by the passion generated by the occasion, I always say, I probably would have considered the mags (do we still call them skunks? It is a more apt name since they stink to high fuck), but even then I probably would have still said no. There was something about the attitudes of them I have never liked and never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back