Wettest match you've ever been to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoke away, a combination of wind, sideways rain and the cold again combined with the water not draining in the first few rows. The only let off was when we unfurled the haway the lads flag..... Which was upside down I believe.

I was close to my 19th birthday on May 5, 1995. My big day is a the end of the month.

Well, OK then. Because I am about 20-odd pages or so from finishing the book "Stokoe, Sunderland & 73" and I am going to finish it in record time and I am in that sort of SAFC passionate mood I will accept it was a joke and say sorry.

Mine to you mate for kicking off.

HA'WAY THE LADS!!
I honestly can’t believe you’re into your 40’s. Seriously had you down as a 17-18 year old 😂

Middlesbrough away September 1976.

The months long drought ended the day before, and it pissed it down non-stop all day Saturday. I was in the open part of the Clive Road End and got absolutely drenched.

As usual, we lost at their place.

I remember a load of fans wearing poly bags on their heads that day as we got soaked

Mags away in 93 when Sellars scored, canny 16th birthday 🙄
Mags away in 99, well worth it though
Accrington in 2018, took a big cheap coat to throw away after the match as was going over to Manchester for James and The Charlatans at the arena...last minute in the hotel left it as didn't think the weather looked too bad....worst decision ever 😂

Mags in 93. The match shouldn’t have been played really. Got beat 1-0. Scott Sellars free kick I think
Only played cos it was in telly
1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".
Notts county at home 77 or 78

Monty trying to bounce the ball in penalty area

Last edited:
Soaked right through on numerous occasions. One sticks in my mind but can’t quite remember when. Pompey away, pissing down all day, in open seated end! Terrible man!
If this is the one I’m thinking of, I remember buying a roll of bin liners on the walk to the stadium, then sharing them out to the people sitting around me. We poked head holes in them and climbed inside. Biblical rain that day...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 73 cup final being a bit of a soggy day. It rained from the Friday morning when I went to school and was still pissing down when we got back from Wembley on the Sunday morning.
Was at quite a number of those matches already mentioned. Of those I'd say Calais in 2000 and Accrington last season were about the wettest ..... oh and that Reading FA cup match around 1990.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 73 cup final being a bit of a soggy day. It rained from the Friday morning when I went to school and was still pissing down when we got back from Wembley on the Sunday morning.
Was at quite a number of those matches already mentioned. Of those I'd say Calais in 2000 and Accrington last season were about the wettest ..... oh and that Reading FA cup match around 1990.

Good call about the cup final. I was convinced the match would be postponed because of the persistent torrential rain, but the pitch was in very good condition.

It was certainly worth the drenching mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back