Wear crossing

I still think the bridge a white elephant from one B&M bargain to another.

As much as I don't want to I completely agree, and it is going to result in queuing traffic in two places on the A1231 rather that the currently one place, along with a new rat run round the back of wickes. I'd be highly surprised if the A1231 isn't 50mph when the bridge opens.

While your at Google pull Maps up - From Nissan port of Tyne is 6 miles and takes 15 mins, Port of Sunderland is 9 mile away and at the moment take nearly half a hour. Only the South Side is not dual carriage way, changing this to dual carriage way is not going to move the dock any closer. We are spending £40m on hoping that Nissan and others are stupid enough to move there whole logistics operation from a well established and close by internation hub, to a place which currently has no major operators and is further away. I still think the bridge a white elephant from one B&M bargain to another.
A brilliant example of the attitude that has seen Sunderland stagnate for years while other areas invest and try to drag themselves forward.

Don't you get it? If we don't try something new, we will continue to stand still whilst others pull away from us.

Cheesy film quote:- "If you build it, they will come....".

A brilliant example of the attitude that has seen Sunderland stagnate for years while other areas invest and try to drag themselves forward.

This has always been the case in Sunderland, sadly so. There is always too much "whats the point" attitude in people. If we want sunderland city centre to take off, with the Vaux site etc then we have to improve the infrastructure of getting in and out of the city for people to come in to work here.

Last edited:
Love how it always comes down to Nissan's access to the port. It's not just about Nissan. It's not just about the port.

Yes, access to the port from the A19 will be improved. Yes, if Nissan wanted to use that they could. At the same time, access to the city center from the A19 is improved, and that whole isolated strip on the south side of the river actually gets some access.

Then there's the knock-on benefit for local traffic when the other bridges and routes into and out of the city aren't as heavily used at peak times.

Love how it always comes down to Nissan's access to the port. It's not just about Nissan. It's not just about the port.

Yes, access to the port from the A19 will be improved. Yes, if Nissan wanted to use that they could. At the same time, access to the city center from the A19 is improved, and that whole isolated strip on the south side of the river actually gets some access.

Then there's the knock-on benefit for local traffic when the other bridges and routes into and out of the city aren't as heavily used at peak times.
Aye, but you need an economic driver tbh, and Nissan is probably what made it viable

While your at Google pull Maps up - From Nissan port of Tyne is 6 miles and takes 15 mins, Port of Sunderland is 9 mile away and at the moment take nearly half a hour. Only the South Side is not dual carriage way, changing this to dual carriage way is not going to move the dock any closer. We are spending £40m on hoping that Nissan and others are stupid enough to move there whole logistics operation from a well established and close by internation hub, to a place which currently has no major operators and is further away. I still think the bridge a white elephant from one B&M bargain to another.

You're confusing me with someone else. I've been putting people right on here, on the Nissan thing for years now. Nissan aren't going to move. They've just spent a fortune on increasing their facilities at POT and a new deal is allegedly in the pipeline. They may use POS to screw prices down for POT and also for storage of used vehicles but you are right, there will be no export POS cannot physically handle, nor does it have the infrastructure for; the size of ships Nissan use now. There will be plenty of other opportunities for POS though.

However, if you can't see the opportunities that this brings in terms of previously unusable/inaccessible land at Pallion and Deptford you're a fool. It's not all about business either, ordinary people complain about how long it takes to get in/out of Sunderland particularly when there's events on etc, this offers another option and will speed traffic flow generally. Who knows, it may even reduce the amount of early leavers!

Been saying this for ages. There's no way that Nissan are going to switch to the port, so there must be something else massive in the pipeline to justify it.

Been saying this for ages. There's no way that Nissan are going to switch to the port, so there must be something else massive in the pipeline to justify it.
Dave Herbal Way

Consett to Seaburn in 0.63 seconds

The new bridge and roads, when finished, will hopefully create easier access not only to the City and the Port, but also provide better logistical access to areas of land that were not previously viable for development.

Like all of these kind of things you have to hope that all due diligence has been performed and that there is a sound business case for approving the development.

It's still a gamble to a degree. But it's a gamble I'm glad to see being taken.

When Team Valley was developed to the level it's at now, and the Metrocentre was built, there was no nailed-on guarantee that they would succeed. They took the risk based on their business projections at the time and backed it with incentives to make it attractive for businesses to invest there.

Let's do the same and hopefully succeed to that level or beyond.

Don't you get it? If we don't try something new, we will continue to stand still whilst others pull away from us.

Cheesy film quote:- "If you build it, they will come....".
Exactly mate. Sometimes the Council is dammed if it does or dammed if it dont and there are lots of self appointed experts on social media these days who have pretty ill informed or just stupid views.

Though I live in Northumberland I take great interest in Sunderland as I see it as 'my city' obviously through the football mainly. I have been critical of Sunderland Council in the past as the place has stagnated whilst other parts of the NE have regenerated. However, I have been impressed by Sunderland Council in recent years as they are really starting to turn the place around. They should be given credit!

That said I think the area around the SOL particularly the South Stand area needs looking at soon.

The new bridge and roads, when finished, will hopefully create easier access not only to the City and the Port, but also provide better logistical access to areas of land that were not previously viable for development.

Like all of these kind of things you have to hope that all due diligence has been performed and that there is a sound business case for approving the development.

It's still a gamble to a degree. But it's a gamble I'm glad to see being taken.

When Team Valley was developed to the level it's at now, and the Metrocentre was built, there was no nailed-on guarantee that they would succeed. They took the risk based on their business projections at the time and backed it with incentives to make it attractive for businesses to invest there.

Let's do the same and hopefully succeed to that level or beyond.
I don't think anyone can argue that the roads on the south side need looking at if they want to bring business to the Deptford/Pallion area, but a £40m gamble is a lot. Really the bottle necks either side of Queen Alex bridge should be resolved before taking that kind of gamble.

I don't know what method you worked out the mileage to each port on google, but they are both very similar distances (Sunderland being very slightly closer). However as far as I understand the two Ports are not going after the same business, the POT is interested in the import/export of cars while the POS is chasing the supply chain to both Nissan and the IAMP.

I don't think anyone can argue that the roads on the south side need looking at if they want to bring business to the Deptford/Pallion area, but a £40m gamble is a lot. Really the bottle necks either side of Queen Alex bridge should be resolved before taking that kind of gamble.
Surely the new bridge and roads will go someway to resolving the traffic issues around the QA.

And let's be honest, £40M isn't a vast amount of money these days. There're premiership footballers being bought and sold for that kind of money on a regular basis.

Exactly mate. Sometimes the Council is dammed if it does or dammed if it dont and there are lots of self appointed experts on social media these days who have pretty ill informed or just stupid views.

Though I live in Northumberland I take great interest in Sunderland as I see it as 'my city' obviously through the football mainly. I have been critical of Sunderland Council in the past as the place has stagnated whilst other parts of the NE have regenerated. However, I have been impressed by Sunderland Council in recent years as they are really starting to turn the place around. They should be given credit!

That said I think the area around the SOL particularly the South Stand area needs looking at soon.
Just because someone disagrees with the council on this particular issue does not mean they are ill informed or have just stupid views. I see the bridge as the Sunderland Mono-rial, a picture on the front of the echo and we all whoop and say get it built. The question should be do we need it.

At the moment the issues with the town centre is white collar working, and the council are trying hard to resolve this and deserve credit, but from a transport perspective the real issues are transport links to Doxford Park, the bottle necks at both sides of the Queen Alex between 8-9am and 5-6pm and the bottle neck on the A19 roundabout from Wessington Way between 4pm and 6pm. This bridge will not resolve any of those issues, and could be argued until the roads are widened on the south side could make things worse.

Back