Wear crossing

I live there marra and I use both at peak times, it's currently worse at off peak times because the roadworks become active and everything goes down to one lane. It's quieter now at peak times because people are avoiding the area.
I'll bow to your local knowledge.

But it doesn't get away from the fact that I, and plenty of others with me, have definitely spent more than 15 minutes stuck in traffic at those roundabouts in the past. People definitely weren't avoiding the area then.

OK - Lets put it this way. If the work taking place at the moment was to widen all the roads from the new bridge into town I could see the benefits, but its not. At the moment its a bridge from nowhere to nowhere else with an additional drawing in the council office of something that needs £20m and all the appropriate planning etc.
It's a phased development. Standard practice for something of this magnitude.

You can't disrupt one half of the city completely, all in one go. It has to be done in stages. It's bad enough at the minute - imagine if they were doing all the new roads at the same time as well.

As said before, it's along-term benefit that will hopefully reap rewards in years to come, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Last edited:

It's amazing how much Sunderland has started to be redeveloped after the termination of the Tyne and wear development corporation. Some may have called it the Tyne and Tyne DC.
Arguably since the demise of One North East and Sunderland ARC too, though they arguably set the scene for many of the developments taking place now (incl the bridge).

Listen to this feller. He lives in SW London whereas in East London....

The centre of London population wise on an E-W basis is now Tower Bridge. Travel east along the Thames from there and the first bridge is at Dartford which is 16 miles away. Travel west from Tower Bridge and there's something like 18 bridges within 16 miles!.......and they're building two more garden footbridges ffs. One in central London and one to convert the old railway bridge at Barnes.
Lack of access has had a economic effect on East London for hundreds of years. It's still going on.
There are the Rotherhithe and Blackwall Tunnels though.

Totally agree about the garden bridge though.

Co's you've decided it's not needed? I think I'd rather take the words of experts in town planning than some bloke off a footy forum like.

Aye OK, our council are suffering from delusions of grandeur. Why the fuck do we need another bridge? Honestly? there is already 3 crossings in close proximity....

It's just another white elephant bullshit development, by a bullshit council, who are full of bullshit!

But..But..But.... they have built a bridge.... People of Sunderland should stop pay homage to councilor Watson's ultimate legacy.... :rolleyes:

So it wouldn't open up vast areas of land on the South Side and give easier access to the retail park/offices on the north side for those on the South side?

Who f*cking cares man, they have done f*ck all about the Vaux site for god knows how many years man, our deteriorating city centre should have been there top of the toppermost priority.... But they are building a bridge... yippity doo!

Last edited:
Aye OK, our council are suffering from delusions of grandeur. Why the fuck do we need another bridge? Honestly? there is already 3 crossings in close proximity....

It's just another white elephant bullshit development, by a bullshit council, who are full of bullshit!

But..But..But.... they have built a bridge.... People of Sunderland should stop pay homage to councilor Watson's ultimate legacy.... :rolleyes:

Who f*cking cares man, they have done f*ck all about the Vaux site for god knows how many years man, our deteriorating city centre should have been there top of the toppermost priority.... But they are building a bridge... yippity doo!
Does it occur to you that most of the funding is from central government specifically for the bridge, because it passed certain financial tests...Sunderland Council can't just choose where the money goes.

Does it occur to you that most of the funding is from central government specifically for the bridge, because it passed certain financial tests...Sunderland Council can't just choose where the money goes.

Yes, but do you honestly think that this will become anything other than a huge white elephant? do you really have 100% faith in our shower of a council to actually achieve something with this...? more fool you if you do.

I refer you to my previous post. I'd sooner take the word of a qualified town planner than a dribbling half-wit.

The money is part of the infrastructure budget, it could never have been used to tart up the town centre. Likewise the Vaux site has moved on vastly in the last few years with the infrastructure to enable the new development to take place, the first building is now about to start with enabling works taking place.

I've got to agree, its a bridge from one B&M bargains to another. I use Queen Alex bridge every day at rush hour and the max wait is 7 min's at max. During the day there is no traffic at all. Its a waste of money. The argument that Nissan will start to use the port is a load of rubbish as the roads along to B&Q would also need doing.

They are being done, look at the strategic transport corridor masterplan before dismissing it as a waste of money.

you seem like a calm, level headed chap to enjoy a little light tete-a-tete with

Love fridges me.

that explains a lot

Back