Wear crossing

Without this bridge the land that was previously Groves would never be opened up the strategic road n/w would never happen. We might as well not bother any roads / bridges if the "well I never have to wait more than x mins" brigade all had their way. I wish this bridge had been open when we had the year of single lane traffic on the QA bridge when it was being painted. One B&M to another, well try telling that to someone in Castletown or Redhouse when they need an ambulance and the A19 is it's usual chaos and the QA is backed up. The usual waste of money if it is Sunderland but best thing ever when it is the place up the road - well fortunately it is getting built and all the doom merchants can go and f... off.
Well said Bro.

I've got to agree, its a bridge from one B&M bargains to another. I use Queen Alex bridge every day at rush hour and the max wait is 7 min's at max. During the day there is no traffic at all. Its a waste of money. The argument that Nissan will start to use the port is a load of rubbish as the roads along to B&Q would also need doing.
Where have you been living for the last couple of years, the road your talking about will be started sometime late 2017, but most likely during 2018, with a dual carriageway all the way to the port entrance eventually.

I've got to agree, its a bridge from one B&M bargains to another. I use Queen Alex bridge every day at rush hour and the max wait is 7 min's at max. During the day there is no traffic at all. Its a waste of money. The argument that Nissan will start to use the port is a load of rubbish as the roads along to B&Q would also need doing.

It's not about what's happening now, but what could happen in the future. Or is it about Nissan
Its about what could happen in the future, and making the port more accessible to the A19/A1
Don't forget, other than Nissan there's the Enterprise Zone & IAMP, which will be trading with he port.
The City NEEDS better transport infrastructure to enable it to grow economically

Without this bridge the land that was previously Groves would never be opened up the strategic road n/w would never happen. We might as well not bother any roads / bridges if the "well I never have to wait more than x mins" brigade all had their way. I wish this bridge had been open when we had the year of single lane traffic on the QA bridge when it was being painted. One B&M to another, well try telling that to someone in Castletown or Redhouse when they need an ambulance and the A19 is it's usual chaos and the QA is backed up. The usual waste of money if it is Sunderland but best thing ever when it is the place up the road - well fortunately it is getting built and all the doom merchants can go and f... off.
Well said.

If you want to develop a city you need the transport infrastructure in place first dipshit.

Listen to this feller. He lives in SW London whereas in East London....

The centre of London population wise on an E-W basis is now Tower Bridge. Travel east along the Thames from there and the first bridge is at Dartford which is 16 miles away. Travel west from Tower Bridge and there's something like 18 bridges within 16 miles!.......and they're building two more garden footbridges ffs. One in central London and one to convert the old railway bridge at Barnes.
Lack of access has had a economic effect on East London for hundreds of years. It's still going on.
Couldn't care less. This thread is about our own city which has been deprived of investment for decades whilst obscene amounts of development continue in London.

Maybe the echo echo should do a version crayon to help people such as yourself. I despair at your ignorance. A little Google search or a head back to the start of this thread will show you all the changes that are being made on both sides of the Wear. Please read more before posting stuff like this it just plays into the hands of the moaners and nay-Sayers .

Aye - at a cost of another £20m. Something like £40m in total for some roads with no guarantee that they will be used.
Jesus God above

Last edited:
Where have you been living for the last couple of years, the road your talking about will be started sometime late 2017, but most likely during 2018, with a dual carriageway all the way to the port entrance eventually.

hhhhmmmmmmm. Bit of poetic licence used by the Port/Council. Port traffic will actually be diverted around the south side of the city centre. They don't want scruffy trucks on the boulevard!

Maybe the echo echo should do a version crayon to help people such as yourself. I despair at your ignorance. A little Google search or a head back to the start of this thread will show you all the changes that are being made on both sides of the Wear. Please read more before posting stuff like this it just plays into the hands of the moaners and nay-Sayers .

Jesus God above
While your at Google pull Maps up - From Nissan port of Tyne is 6 miles and takes 15 mins, Port of Sunderland is 9 mile away and at the moment take nearly half a hour. Only the South Side is not dual carriage way, changing this to dual carriage way is not going to move the dock any closer. We are spending £40m on hoping that Nissan and others are stupid enough to move there whole logistics operation from a well established and close by internation hub, to a place which currently has no major operators and is further away. I still think the bridge a white elephant from one B&M bargain to another.

While your at Google pull Maps up - From Nissan port of Tyne is 6 miles and takes 15 mins, Port of Sunderland is 9 mile away and at the moment take nearly half a hour. Only the South Side is not dual carriage way, changing this to dual carriage way is not going to move the dock any closer. We are spending £40m on hoping that Nissan and others are stupid enough to move there whole logistics operation from a well established and close by internation hub, to a place which currently has no major operators and is further away. I still think the bridge a white elephant from one B&M bargain to another.

Lindisfarne Roundabout was always the key traffic hold up to Port of Tyne and that's half way through being upgraded to 3 lanes.

Back