Wear crossing

Why would you drive over the Wear A19 bridge, down Wessington way and then back over? Coming off at the Chester Road roundabout would be better. If you are saying you come from Boldon down the A19 and down Wessington way then you are cutting off what little queue there are at the Green roundabout which is busy about 20 mins a day. Traffic at that part of town is never so busy anyone would avoid it, its not quite like getting past team valley pre upgrade.

So someone driving down the A19 southbound comes to the A1231, if there is an accident on the Hylton bridge, 7 and a bit miles via the QA bridge to get back to the A19 or further if you head along the A1231 towards Washington and go that way. The dual carriageway to Southwick is not too bad but the south end of the QA and up through Pallion / Ford Est takes an age. Pain in the proverbial if you are on a pedal bike too - either life in your hands on the A19 bridge or you go miles out of your way to the QA or the foot bridge at Fatfield - can't wait for the new bridge.

Aye - at a cost of another £20m. Something like £40m in total for some roads with no guarantee that they will be used.
What should they use the money on? A fountain at seaburn? Or a monument of some sort outside the bridges? We've improved the area around the town a lot, there's development in the pipeline for the vaux site, including investment in the area regarding the old fire station, and extension of the bridge's. Yes, the council have made mistakes, some I've complained about myself, but give them some f***ing credit regarding these improvements.

What should they use the money on? A fountain at seaburn? Or a monument of some sort outside the bridges? We've improved the area around the town a lot, there's development in the pipeline for the vaux site, including investment in the area regarding the old fire station, and extension of the bridge's. Yes, the council have made mistakes, some I've complained about myself, but give them some f***ing credit regarding these improvements.
Phase 3 of the plan will open up huge incentives to invest in Sunderland.they hope to start June 2018, open to traffic 2020.huge project mind.

Phase 3 of the plan will open up huge incentives to invest in Sunderland.they hope to start June 2018, open to traffic 2020.huge project mind.
I'm impressed by what they're doing so far. It's a lot of work they've got planned, and it should have been done years ago, but credit where it's due.
Like I've said, I could still complain about some stuff like most of the roads, pot holes all over, putting yellow lines and permit parking in too many places.
Rubbish all over the streets, people letting their dogs shit all over the paths.. But they're different arguments.

Regarding improvements to developing the area and landscape.. Well done.

I'm impressed by what they're doing so far. It's a lot of work they've got planned, and it should have been done years ago, but credit where it's due.
Like I've said, I could still complain about some stuff like most of the roads, pot holes all over, putting yellow lines and permit parking in too many places.
Rubbish all over the streets, people letting their dogs shit all over the paths.. But they're different arguments.

Was driving down the very busy streets near Chester Rd shops today ( good fresh selection of ethnic foods, I almost asked if they had fresh Kaffir Lime leaves) and couldnt fail to be impressed by how some of them are clearly reverting to being cobbled streets....that Beamish look will have tourists here in droves

Spot on post IMO.most of the costs will come from grants/ external funding.The day to day running costs of the council which have been decimated from central govt have affected the councils ability to do the mundane jobs you have listed above.As you say, credit where it's due.

Cack. I've been on the Alex Bridge a number of times when Ambulances have gone over. Takes no time. I drive from Millfield to Redhouse every day and I can tell you its a waste of money. If it was needed I would support it, but its not.

Even if it is, as it's grant funded, it's about time we got some money spent on us.

Is this needed?
https://www.gardenbridge.london/
London get all sorts

Was driving down the very busy streets near Chester Rd shops today ( good fresh selection of ethnic foods, I almost asked if they had fresh Kaffir Lime leaves) and couldnt fail to be impressed by how some of them are clearly reverting to being cobbled streets....that Beamish look will have tourists here in droves
:lol: some streets will be renamed coronation

Without this bridge the land that was previously Groves would never be opened up the strategic road n/w would never happen. We might as well not bother any roads / bridges if the "well I never have to wait more than x mins" brigade all had their way. I wish this bridge had been open when we had the year of single lane traffic on the QA bridge when it was being painted. One B&M to another, well try telling that to someone in Castletown or Redhouse when they need an ambulance and the A19 is it's usual chaos and the QA is backed up. The usual waste of money if it is Sunderland but best thing ever when it is the place up the road - well fortunately it is getting built and all the doom merchants can go and f... off.
Absolutely tremendous post.

I never understand the idiots who say its a waste of money - there is absolutely no argument other than it will be a major improvement for the city in terms of growth potential amongst other factors. Why anyone from the city would try and argue against that happening is truly bizarre.

You can never have too many bridges ........
Listen to this feller. He lives in SW London whereas in East London....

The centre of London population wise on an E-W basis is now Tower Bridge. Travel east along the Thames from there and the first bridge is at Dartford which is 16 miles away. Travel west from Tower Bridge and there's something like 18 bridges within 16 miles!.......and they're building two more garden footbridges ffs. One in central London and one to convert the old railway bridge at Barnes.
Lack of access has had a economic effect on East London for hundreds of years. It's still going on.

Listen to this feller. He lives in SW London whereas in East London....

The centre of London population wise on an E-W basis is now Tower Bridge. Travel east along the Thames from there and the first bridge is at Dartford which is 16 miles away. Travel west from Tower Bridge and there's something like 18 bridges within 16 miles!.......and they're building two more garden footbridges ffs. One in central London and one to convert the old railway bridge at Barnes.
Lack of access has had a economic effect on East London for hundreds of years. It's still going on.
Neeone gives a fuck about you cockneys marra.

Back