VE Day 75th street party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spennymoor looks to be getting ready to party..great to see so many union jacks.
Such a shame this has happened during a pandemic.
Absolute heroes to a man. A day people should be able to drape the Union Jack over their shoulders without fear of ring branded racist.
A big salute from stockbroker belt Humbledon 🇬🇧
top post.....should be every year.

Dont you just love yer mothers?

put a red sheet up in one widow pane, white in another, blue in another.

Basically an 8 foot french flag ffs!:lol:

Took it down after I broke this to her. Allowing her 2 Fosters on me lawn later.

enjoy as best possible all.

Did the two minute silence and thought of a man I never met. My dad's older brother who is buried at Sangro River War Cemetery in Italy. He was a Private in the Seaforth Highlanders and was killed in December 1942, he was 24 years old.
There must be an interesting back story to that as iirc Italy wasn’t invaded until September 43. Be interesting to know more of his story.

Do citizens of other European countries celebrate this day? If so, to the same degree as the British seem to?

I've been lucky enough to be out a couple of times in Holland for Dutch Liberation Day. Brilliant night. We did one in 2000 with the surviving members of the Denekamp Resistance. Stories to make your hair stand on end.

If you think Brits hate the Germans, think again. That's nowt. 'If you shoot a German.... shoot him again and make sure he's dead' was one of the more reasonable lines....

I've been lucky enough to be out a couple of times in Holland for Dutch Liberation Day. Brilliant night. We did one in 2000 with the surviving members of the Denekamp Resistance. Stories to make your hair stand on end.

If you think Brits hate the Germans, think again. That's nowt. 'If you shoot a German.... shoot him again and make sure he's dead' was one of the more reasonable lines....

oi wolfgang where's my bike is a chant the Dutch football fans sing when playing Germany on account of them taking all the civilians bikes for the Wehrmacht

Genuinely couldnt care less about this mind. Bizarre that so many people suddenly seem arsed.
Yes it’s really bizarre that we remember, salute and celebrate those that gave us the opportunity to have the life we now enjoy.

The sacrifice made should never ever be forgotten, the ultimate sacrifice in too many cases.

Imagine being called to war now, having to leave the comfort and the family life we all enjoy to end up becoming cannon fodder in a lot of cases.

f***ing hell people now can’t even face being holed up in their house for a few weeks without whinging and bitching on.

The majority of that era has sadly died off and been replaced by an era of soft selfish little wankers who would rather celebrate a bunch of no marks from love island than real heroes.

Do citizens of other European countries celebrate this day? If so, to the same degree as the British seem to?
You've got that the wrong way around.
A lot of countries have VE day as a public holiday we are one of those who don't. The last time we moved a bank holiday to celebrate this was 25 years ago, so we're hardly big celebrators of VE day. Once every 25 years isn't excessive by anybody's standards.

Yes it’s really bizarre that we remember, salute and celebrate those that gave us the opportunity to have the life we now enjoy.

The sacrifice made should never ever be forgotten, the ultimate sacrifice in too many cases.

Imagine being called to war now, having to leave the comfort and the family life we all enjoy to end up becoming cannon fodder in a lot of cases.

f***ing hell people now can’t even face being holed up in their house for a few weeks without whinging and bitching on.

The majority of that era has sadly died off and been replaced by an era of soft selfish little wankers who would rather celebrate a bunch of no marks from love island than real heroes.
I wish I could like this post twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back