VE Day 75th street party

Status
Not open for further replies.

I had the honor / pleasure of accompanying my father in law to Bletchley Park where he has served for a short time in 1944 on the 50th anniversary of the end of the War in Europe in 1995. Sadly he is no longer with us but for me nothing could hold a candle to that event.

I shall remember him tomorrow along with my uncle who died on 5th May 1941. A Sapper in 507 Field Company Royal Engineers (Bomb Disposal) he was a committed Christian who refused to bear arms.

In the spirit of my old Dad who was in WW2 I shall raise a glass and be a miserable old bugger and not join in.
The missus sent me her granddad’s RA tracer card to look through yesterday (confused me a bit as I always thought he was South Staffs but figured that must have been on the other side). He moved between about 6 regiments before being wounded and then finishing off in a holding regiment. Spent about 12 hours going through the various regimental actions for the dates shown on the tracer card.

Sent all the info on to her mam so she could have a read. Turns out I was right and he was South Staffs and is just been researching some random fella with the same name.

Interesting all the same.

The missus sent me her granddad’s RA tracer card to look through yesterday (confused me a bit as I always thought he was South Staffs but figured that must have been on the other side). He moved between about 6 regiments before being wounded and then finishing off in a holding regiment. Spent about 12 hours going through the various regimental actions for the dates shown on the tracer card.

Sent all the info on to her mam so she could have a read. Turns out I was right and he was South Staffs and is just been researching some random fella with the same name.

Interesting all the same.
Oh dear. My sister got a copy of his signing out papers (or whatever they are called) and it said he was a very intelligent and reliable corporal amongst other things. Lovely to have. Although we do know he was demoted at some point for a misdemeanor, and knowing my Dad it will very probably have involved women (he was 'engaged' to 3 women at the same time at some point during the war). Dreadful behaviour!

There's something going out out the front down our street tomorrow, but we've all got front gardens and we're well spaced out so it's not like we're packed in like sardines or anything.

Sounds sensible and I don't see any issues with it, something similar in our street, picnic out the front and everyone well spaced out so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back