Top tips for new born

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babies should not sleep in their own room until they are a least a year old. Before anyone starts I know that you are going to say, but my - insert name of your choice - went into their own room at 2 days, eight weeks or four months, whatever. The guidelines are clear that babies can sometimes ‘forget’ to breathe and hearing others reminds them. I’m saying this as the aunt of a nine month baby who died from sudden death. Some babies die from being left alone in a room, don’t let it be yours.

I agree with the get the baby used to normal every day noise. I could hoover under my daughters crib and she never twitched a muscle.
We put our first in her own room at about 8 months. She’s three nearly 4 and would still be in our room if my missus had her way.

Got a 3 month old now. Done the exact same thing in terms of what we do and touch wood she’s a canny sleeper like her sister

Babies should not sleep in their own room until they are a least a year old. Before anyone starts I know that you are going to say, but my - insert name of your choice - went into their own room at 2 days, eight weeks or four months, whatever. The guidelines are clear that babies can sometimes ‘forget’ to breathe and hearing others reminds them. I’m saying this as the aunt of a nine month baby who died from sudden death. Some babies die from being left alone in a room, don’t let it be yours.

I agree with the get the baby used to normal every day noise. I could hoover under my daughters crib and she never twitched a muscle.

Not sure why anyone would start, that has to be one of the most awful things that can happen to any parent.

One thing that worked for me and the missus was she would go to bed early about 9 once the bairn had gone down about 7. I’d then stay up till 12-1ish and get the bairn up change her and feed her then put her back down. Would drink her bottle half asleep and would never fully wake up could then get her straight back to sleep. I’d then go to bed and missus would get up early and do the morning feed about 6 so we would both get a decent kip.
This is what we used to do, feed them when we went to bed while they were pretty much still asleep. We also changed their nappy while they were asleep as we found it was full nappies waking them up.
Also as others have said routine is the most important and black out blinds were a must. When they were a bit older we tried not to let them kip after 3pm until bedtime. Think it was around 9 months before both started sleeping through.

Cruel to be kind, don't pander to them when they get put down for bed, or if they cry during the night, they stay put in their bed, uncomforted, create a strict ROUTINE.

(ok, you can peek through a small crack in the door for your own piece of mind but do not pick them up)

All about routine - mine are 3 and 1 and have kipped in their own room from 4 months - 18.45 is bath time, then supper then 19.30 bed for a story before lights out at 19.45 - both sleep through no bother - oldest til I have to wake him for his breakfast, youngest wakes up about 6

get your lass to wear a T shirt or something for the day.

Stick the t shirt in the cot when you put the bairn to sleep.

The bairn can then smell your lass and you might have an easier time of it.

Worked for a mate of mine.

This is what we used to do, feed them when we went to bed while they were pretty much still asleep. We also changed their nappy while they were asleep as we found it was full nappies waking them up.
Also as others have said routine is the most important and black out blinds were a must. When they were a bit older we tried not to let them kip after 3pm until bedtime. Think it was around 9 months before both started sleeping through.
Yeah if you wait till they are screaming as they are upset and starving it’s much harder to get them back down.

Cruel to be kind, don't pander to them when they get put down for bed, or if they cry during the night, they stay put in their bed, uncomforted, create a strict ROUTINE.

(ok, you can peek through a small crack in the door for your own piece of mind but do not pick them up)
Maybes when they are older but a five week old generally is crying for a reason.

You make me sick
What’s their night time routine at the min?

We started doing a dream feed around 11 for the one that wouldn’t sleep. Then eventuallly we replaced it with water, then stopped the dream feed. They both sleep through now (although the little bastards were both up at 5 this morning).

I think current guidelines are six months minimum in your room but yes the longer you keep them in yours the less risk.

We did six months and nine months.

Last edited:
What’s their night time routine at the min?

We started doing a dream feed around 11 for the one that wouldn’t sleep. Then eventuallly we replaced it with water, then stopped the dream feed. They both sleep through now (although the little bastards were both up at 5 this morning).

I think current guidelines are six months minimum in your room but yes the longer you keep them in yours the less risk.

We did six months and nine months.
can get one into bed no bother at the minute. Generally she's up once during the night though wanting milk. The other one we are struggling with. She will not go to sleep until she literally crashes from tiredness sometimes as late as 11pm. Not sure how to handle it. People keep saying just put her to bed let her cry a bit then settle her and repeat until she learns but she goes hysterical and obviously the other one is asleep so just don't know what to do.

can get one into bed no bother at the minute. Generally she's up once during the night though wanting milk. The other one we are struggling with. She will not go to sleep until she literally crashes from tiredness sometimes as late as 11pm. Not sure how to handle it. People keep saying just put her to bed let her cry a bit then settle her and repeat until she learns but she goes hysterical and obviously the other one is asleep so just don't know what to do.

Womb noises, blasting.

If you are bottle feeding,don't give warm bottles.
We used to make the bottles up in the morning and let them cool to room temperature and that would do us for the day.
First time round it was a pain heating bottles up and letting them cool down.
Second time round we decided that the bairn is not gonna be fussy if it's piping hot and full of forumla.
Make up 6 bottles for the day, powder on stand by, its much easier through the night as well, just tipping the powder in and giving it a shake. Means you can make the bottles lying in bed.
Get a powder dispenser that has 3 sections so it covers you for 3 feeds.

If you are bottle feeding,don't give warm bottles.
We used to make the bottles up in the morning and let them cool to room temperature and that would do us for the day.
First time round it was a pain heating bottles up and letting them cool down.
Second time round we decided that the bairn is not gonna be fussy if it's piping hot and full of forumla.
Make up 6 bottles for the day, powder on stand by, its much easier through the night as well, just tipping the powder in and giving it a shake. Means you can make the bottles lying in bed.
Get a powder dispenser that has 3 sections so it covers you for 3 feeds.
Your meant to do it with boiling water as it kills any bacteria in the formula. One of the best things we bought with the second kid was a tomee tippie bottle maker perfect temp bottle every time in a few minutes.

Your meant to do it with boiling water as it kills any bacteria in the formula. One of the best things we bought with the second kid was a tomee tippie bottle maker perfect temp bottle every time in a few minutes.

Well we never did second time and there was no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back