Top tips for new born

Ello Gents, Howton3r junior has reached the grand old age of 5 weeks old, and, he's a little shit when it comes to going to sleep.

Anyone got any decent tips for making him stfu at night?

(inb4 - dont have kids - too late, here's here and he's class, just is a shit)
Don't listen to any tips.

Do you hand her the ipad now to keep her quiet?
No, it just played music or white noise, she couldn’t see it or touch it. It would calm her down when she was a baby.

She’s just turned 4 and we restrict her access to it now. When she has it she’ll watch CBeebies or play the cbeebies app which is educational for the most part. We tend to let her use the laptop now and again with a mouse plugged in (she uses word and paint) and it improves her IT skills as well as numeracy and writing skills.

That said we spend most of the time outside to be honest, parks, bike rides and her scooter. Or just chasing her about in the garden. More so as we have a one year old and it’s a struggle to find things that’ll keep them both entertained. The good weather has helped.

IT is already a big part of life at that age unfortunately (imo) so it’s unfair to let her slip behind.

No, it just played music or white noise, she couldn’t see it or touch it. It would calm her down when she was a baby.

She’s just turned 4 and we restrict her access to it now. When she has it she’ll watch CBeebies or play the cbeebies app which is educational for the most part. We tend to let her use the laptop now and again with a mouse plugged in (she uses word and paint) and it improves her IT skills as well as numeracy and writing skills.

That said we spend most of the time outside to be honest, parks, bike rides and her scooter. Or just chasing her about in the garden. More so as we have a one year old and it’s a struggle to find things that’ll keep them both entertained. The good weather has helped.

IT is already a big part of life at that age unfortunately (imo) so it’s unfair to let her slip behind.

I was woken up one morning when my youngest was about 5 or 6, she had stuck the computer on and was playing Unreal Tournament. :eek::lol:
Was quite funny when they used to play the Sims, the oldest daughter built this town and the youngest went on, sent the bulldozers in and knocked it all down.

I was woken up one morning when my youngest was about 5 or 6, she had stuck the computer on and was playing Unreal Tournament. :eek::lol:
Was quite funny when they used to play the Sims, the oldest daughter built this town and the youngest went on, sent the bulldozers in and knocked it all down.
:lol: Brutal

One thing that worked for me and the missus was she would go to bed early about 9 once the bairn had gone down about 7. I’d then stay up till 12-1ish and get the bairn up change her and feed her then put her back down. Would drink her bottle half asleep and would never fully wake up could then get her straight back to sleep. I’d then go to bed and missus would get up early and do the morning feed about 6 so we would both get a decent kip.

One thing that worked for me and the missus was she would go to bed early about 9 once the bairn had gone down about 7. I’d then stay up till 12-1ish and get the bairn up change her and feed her then put her back down. Would drink her bottle half asleep and would never fully wake up could then get her straight back to sleep. I’d then go to bed and missus would get up early and do the morning feed about 6 so we would both get a decent kip.

This, forgetting all the tips given so far, make sure you're both getting a decent stint of kip each night.

We were the same, wife would go to bed about 8/9, I'd stay downstairs with the daughter as long as possible (breast fed for the most part) then take her up, wife would feed her, I'd put her to bed then get some kip myself. Wife would do the night feeds (obviously) then I'd get up in the morning with her. I cope much better on little sleep than the wife too!

Its manageable as long as you're both not complete zombies all the time.

I couldn't go beyond that!!!!

Bath, bottle and story in beds done it for us each time.

PS: Don't let them in the bed with you + get them used to sleeping in the dark from newborn.
Aye. Definitely don't let them sleep in your bed (except when poorly etc). I know people who have 5 year olds in bed with them every night.

Aye. Definitely don't let them sleep in your bed (except when poorly etc). I know people who have 5 year olds in bed with them every night.

My niece was still getting into bed with her parents at 12 year old!!!!

Do not fall into the trap of driving around in the car to get the bairn to sleep.

My niece was still getting into bed with her parents at 12 year old!!!!

Do not fall into the trap of driving around in the car to get the bairn to sleep.
Haha. Done this for a period of time with my youngest for daytime naps but would never do it for bed time.

You've got to be tough and not settle for the easy option. If they wake up in the night and want in your bed, take them back to theirs no matter how many times you have to do it. It'll be easier in the long run.

This, forgetting all the tips given so far, make sure you're both getting a decent stint of kip each night.

We were the same, wife would go to bed about 8/9, I'd stay downstairs with the daughter as long as possible (breast fed for the most part) then take her up, wife would feed her, I'd put her to bed then get some kip myself. Wife would do the night feeds (obviously) then I'd get up in the morning with her. I cope much better on little sleep than the wife too!

Its manageable as long as you're both not complete zombies all the time.
We were lucky with both that they would sleep well from an early age. Other thing I would say is don’t be afraid to move over to formula made life much easier for us although part of it was issues with the wife’s breasts being able to share the work load made life much easier and I enjoyed feeding them too.

We were lucky with both that they would sleep well from an early age. Other thing I would say is don’t be afraid to move over to formula made life much easier for us although part of it was issues with the wife’s breasts being able to share the work load made life much easier and I enjoyed feeding them too.

Yeah, I had a go as well when they ached mate. :lol:

Babies should develop around your environment, make as much noise as you like during the day so they get used to it.
Get them into their own room as soon as you can as well, unless you already have.

Babies should not sleep in their own room until they are a least a year old. Before anyone starts I know that you are going to say, but my - insert name of your choice - went into their own room at 2 days, eight weeks or four months, whatever. The guidelines are clear that babies can sometimes ‘forget’ to breathe and hearing others reminds them. I’m saying this as the aunt of a nine month baby who died from sudden death. Some babies die from being left alone in a room, don’t let it be yours.

I agree with the get the baby used to normal every day noise. I could hoover under my daughters crib and she never twitched a muscle.

Back