Top 5 ever home games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some great shouts there, and as an "older" poster I've seen most of them, but the one that sticks out for me was the 2-1 against the mags, 2008.
Had been 28 years since we'd beaten them at home, and the sheer drama of that Richardson goal - Aw man 😁😁😁
I cried when that goal went in, no idea why because its the only time I've ever cried at football but very vivid memories

Roker Park
3 -2 vs Man United 1984 - had everything in 1st 45mins
2 -0 vs Chelsea 1985 - semi final
6 -1 vs WBA 1977 - 1st real memory of night game at RP
2- 1 Chelsea in the QF
4 -3 vs Gillingham 1987 - highs and lows of Sunderland fan in 120 mins.

Some great shouts there, and as an "older" poster I've seen most of them, but the one that sticks out for me was the 2-1 against the mags, 2008.
Had been 28 years since we'd beaten them at home, and the sheer drama of that Richardson goal - Aw man 😁😁😁

If I can remember, I was a little tipsy after that one :)

If I can remember, I was a little tipsy after that one :)
I got more than a a little tipsy after 😂😂
I cried when that goal went in, no idea why because its the only time I've ever cried at football but very vivid memories
So did I mate, and again at the end of the game. Days like these are a reward for all the shit we go through as Sunderland supporters.

Last edited:
I really liked the Chopra Spurs 1 nil. Probably because the goal was right in front of me. Also because i had accepted the draw as a good result.

For the same reason the Ji Man City game. My heart nearly burst. Later i heard a Kenyan commentry of the goal and it captured the moment.

West Ham away in the Cup. David Rush iirc. Night match.Pissed up.

Defoe volley v the Mag

3.2 v Chelsea . The time between the 2nd and 3rd goal was literally orgasmic.

2-1 mags October 2008, 18th birthday, carnage limbs and plenty of booze.

the Borini 2-1 is a distant 2nd, but was still an unbelievable day

Last edited:
Chelsea 2-1 FA Cup Unbelievable celebrations for winning goal, tense game throughout
Newcastle 2-1 2008 Roy Keane era Hoodoo lifted
Man City 1-0 Ji goal Brilliant defending and some luck
Newcastle 1-0 Defoe goal
Chelsea 3-2 Best atmosphere at SOL

Close calls for City 3-1 first SOL game, Everton 3-0 to stay up, Burnley 3-2 promotion & Sheff Utd 2-0 play off semi

Not sure about top 5 but one that really sticks out is the 3-1 win against Spurs. They had a good team at the time but we genuinely could’ve scored 8+ that day. Bent scoring early on was an unreal feeling. Mint buzz going to the game those days. Atmosphere was always quality when Dance of the Knights got going.

West Ham 2-0 in 1980
Man Utd 3-2 in 1984
Chelsea 2-0, Milk Cup semi in 85
Everton 3-0, last game at RP
Bradford 2-0, Boxing Day under Reid, my first game at the SOL

None of these would come close to City in 73, sadly was too young. Was also my grandad’s last match attended, what a way to bow out.

For me. Mainly based on atmosphere / feel good...

Sunderland 2-0 Sheff United (Play Offs)
Sunderland 1-0 Newcastle United (Defoe volley)
Sunderland 1-0 Man City (Ji)
Sunderland 3-2 Chelsea (Defoe)
Sunderland 2-1 Chelsea (FA Cup at Roker Park)

Ok I will go with

3-1 against City in 1973
Then three for one if I can all three of that fantastic week under Jimmy Adamson 1977 Boro 4-1, WBA 6-1 and West Ham 6-0.
Everton 3-1 under Sam
3-2 against ManU 1984
Chelsea 3-2 under Sam again

Off the top of my head, and in no particular order.

BOLTON - (old 2nd Division) on Easter Monday 1976.
A vital game, against our promotion rivals, who had, Reid, Allardyce, and Siddall, playing for them.
We won 2-1 in front of nearly 52,000 ecstatic Lads fans, and were duly promoted, to the old 1st division, at the end of the season.

MAN UTD - 3-2, (old 1st Division)
A helluva game, that had just about everything.
A first half, Clive Walker, hat-trick, a sending off for both teams, and 2 penalties (scored by Walker)

CHELSEA - 2-1, (FA Cup quarter final replay)
What a night !!
Unforgettable atmosphere & scenes, amongst our fans. (Piles of tangled bodies, arms and legs, in the Mainstand Roker Wing Seats)
Unforgettable, Armstrong, bullet header, late in the game, to send us into the semi finals of the FA Cup.

SHEFF UTD - (Championship, Play off 2nd leg)
Again an unbelievable atmosphere, from our support, at the SOL, that night.
Unbelievable Perez saves, kept us in the game.
We won 2-0 (3-2 on aggregate) to book our place at Wembley.

CHELSEA - (Premier League)
We utterly destroyed, the millionaires of Chelsea, 4-1, as we ruthlessly dismantled them, in a never to be forgotten, first half of free flowing, attacking, football.
I was just getting into the ground, and missed Sir Niall's first goal.
SKP's superb strike, against De Hoy, iirc, and a tortured and tormented, Desailly, being subbed at half time, will live long in the memory.
Did I mention, we hammered them 4-1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back