Top 5 ever home games..

I really liked the Chopra Spurs 1 nil. Probably because the goal was right in front of me. Also because i had accepted the draw as a good result.

For the same reason the Ji Man City game. My heart nearly burst. Later i heard a Kenyan commentry of the goal and it captured the moment.

West Ham away in the Cup. David Rush iirc. Night match.Pissed up.

Defoe volley v the Mag

3.2 v Chelsea . The time between the 2nd and 3rd goal was literally orgasmic.

This x 100. Chelsea Manager Hiddink said he had never heard a noise like it. A rumble from the stands he said iirc. And then Terry sent off!

My old boy told me that Sabella was the best player he had even seen at RP.

Great description mate, and out of the 4 family members who went to that game 3 are season ticket holders at Roker Park in the sky.
Bet they are having a great time kicking a ball around around with the likes off Raich,Baxter and shack ..RIP every single one of them!
Siddall saved a penna in that game iirc.
If it had been scored, we wouldn't have gone top of division 2, that night, on goal average.
Alex sabella was the best player i have seen play at roker park since baxter....wonderful player ,would be woth 100 million now!

Last edited:
Bet they are having a great time kicking a ball around around with the likes off Raich,Baxter and shack ..RIP every single one of them!

Alex sabella was the best player i have seen play at roker park since baxter....wonderful player ,would be woth 100 million now!
I still say, the best player, I ever seen at Roker, was the magical, king of cool, Billy Hughes.
I'm not old enough to have seen Baxter, but I remember my Dad taking me to Roker, for the first time, in 1972.
I was 9 years old kid from Hartlepool, and I'd seen nothing like him (apart from George Best on the tv), and was totally captivated by Billy Hughes, skill, pace and trickery, as he left defenders trailing in his wake, or totally bamboozled, as he beat them for fun, time and again.
He's my all time favourite Sunderland player.

Think I read that Sheff Utd went over to sign Maradona but Sabella was £100k cheaper
Just done a quick google and found this:-
Diego Maradona actually came closest to signing for Sheffield United, for whom the Argentinian would have played in the late 1970s had it not been for the stinginess of the Blades' board. In 1978, the United manager Harry Haslam watched the 17-year-old Maradona in action on a scouting trip to Argentina and was so impressed he immediately arranged a £200,000 deal. But the transfer fell through when the Second Division club failed to stump up extra cash on top of the fee, so Haslam instead signed Maradona's countryman, the River Plate midfielder Alex Sabella, for £160,000. Sadly, although Sabella wowed the Bramall Lane crowds, he could not prevent the Blades sliding into the Third Division in 1978-79. Sabella and was offloaded to Leeds United for £400,000 in 1980 and United slipped quietly into the Fourth Division later that season.

Last edited:
If you were lucky enough to be at the 1973 replay vs Man City that's number 1 by a long way.

(Notice the old gits who have it in their posts doesn't have it anywhere else but #1)

Daylight 2nd for me 😏 (attending games 1965 to 1980)
I think this game was in the month I was born. Out of interest the best atmosphere I have been in was Chelsea 92 how would you say the 2 games compare?

That Everton win a few seasons back irritates me with every passing season - I genuinely thought we’d cracked the premier thing & this was the start of the good times rolling in. That game now was the last decent thing about the club... till Wycombe tomorrow obvs...

That Everton win a few seasons back irritates me with every passing season - I genuinely thought we’d cracked the premier thing & this was the start of the good times rolling in. That game now was the last decent thing about the club... till Wycombe tomorrow obvs...
Sadly, one of the many, false dawns, we've had, down the years.
I think good times will eventually return.
I just hope I'm still around to see & enjoy, the return of the good times.

I think this game was in the month I was born. Out of interest the best atmosphere I have been in was Chelsea 92 how would you say the 2 games compare?

The 73 game(s) were all a bit surreal, it was uncharted ground to be getting so far in the FA Cup as a 2nd Division side. The atmosphere that night (we were starting to believe after the 2-2 draw at Man City) was unbelievable. Even at the time it was an extraordinary night. The Cup run was special and could not really be compared to any other (great game) 20 years later.

*I left England in 1980 to live in Australia and New Zealand so wasn't at the 92 Chelsea game but remember watching it live). Been back to see about 10 games in the 40 years away, last game at Roker Park, Wembley FA Cup Final, 1st season at SOL etc. Still watch nearly every game I can on TV when possible (originally by BBC radio :) ) now the streams from SAFSEE are canny :)

Last edited:
Chelsea FA cup 92 Armstrong Header
Man Utd 90 Gary Bennett winner
Sheff Utd 98 play off
Everton 16 Big Sam/Kone/Atmosphere
Chelsea 99 Phillips, Quinn, et al

3-1 Bolo wonder goal vs Spurs
2 - 1 Keyring and Cisse Vs the horsepunchers
Jiiiii vs man city
Defoe beating Chelsea on his own
Beachball game Vs Liverpool. They couldn't get past Cana who seemed to be omnipresent. Played really well but it gets forgotten cos of Reina getting his balls mixed up.

Ok I will go with

3-1 against City in 1973
Then three for one if I can all three of that fantastic week under Jimmy Adamson 1977 Boro 4-1, WBA 6-1 and West Ham 6-0.
Everton 3-1 under Sam
3-2 against ManU 1984
Chelsea 3-2 under Sam again
Similar for me

3-1 against City in 1973
Then three for one if I can all three of that fantastic week under Jimmy Adamson 1977 Boro 4-1, WBA 6-1 and West Ham 6-0.
Everton 3-1 under Sam
1976 last game off the season v Portsmouth
V Chelsea - ARMSTRONG’S HEADER

Last edited:

Back