Top 5 ever home games..

Still bored with the takeover shite and still a nostalgic old fool so in no particular order here goes...
Sunderland 2 Man Utd 1 Easter Monday 1977 Kevin Arnott and Tony Towers for us Gordon Hill for them. Just remember as a 9 year old being fascinated by the antics of the vast away support!
Sunderland 3 Burnley 2 2006 Carlos, Keane..et al
Sunderland 1 Man City 0 Mick Buckley saves the day with another last day escape 1982
Sunderland 4 Chelsea 1 2000 no explanation needed!
Finally Sunderland 3 Everton 0 team kone and “something special is happening at our club” and we all know how that turned out!
Being a Sunderland fan is never dull and not good for the heart! But always FTM and STID

Atmosphere: Newcastle play offs.

Result: Chelsea cup quarter final or league cup semi final.

Was at the West Ham game in 1980 but too young to remember much about it.

V Leicester 2005 - Game we won promotion, remember it being announed on the tannoy after that someone else (can't remember who) had drawn and we'd gone up, scenes. Mind you we were utterly abysmal the next season.
V Burnley 2007 - Game had everything, Edwards goal will be legendary forever.
V Mags 2008 - My ST that year was in the NW corner in line with the goal line, never heard a noise as loud at a footy match as when that free kick hit the net, deafening.
V Man City 2012 - Joe Hart made a blunder iirc
V Everton 2016 - Best feel good atmosphere I've ever been to at an SAFC match

V Leicester 2005 - Game we won promotion, remember it being announed on the tannoy after that someone else (can't remember who) had drawn and we'd gone up, scenes. Mind you we were utterly abysmal the next season.
V Burnley 2007 - Game had everything, Edwards goal will be legendary forever.
V Mags 2008 - My ST that year was in the NW corner in line with the goal line, never heard a noise as loud at a footy match as when that free kick hit the net, deafening.
V Man City 2012 - Joe Hart made a blunder iirc
V Everton 2016 - Best feel good atmosphere I've ever been to at an SAFC match
I was in the BCB for the Leicester game, and if my memory serves me correctly, I think Ipswich drew at Leeds, and we were promoted.

V Man. City 3-1 FACup 5th round replay
V Man. Utd 3-2 after 2-0 down early on then Clive Walker hat-trick
V Sheffield. Utd 2-0 play offs what an atmosphere
V Chelsea 4-1 Best 45 minutes I've ever seen
V Everton 3-0 Stayed up and sent the skunks down - it doesn't get much better really

FTM

One.......Sunderland -mancity 1973 ..12 at the time 53000 in roker park ,night game ..never forget it ..walking up the steps to the fulwell end and seeng the brightest green of the pitch framed like a 100 foot tv screen in the dark ..fekking magical night never forget it till the day i die ,nowt matches it to be honest !The only game i went to with my long dead father as he was always working !Great fella great night i bet over half of the folk there that night are now in that special place in heaven for long suffering safc fans.

Two...sunderland v chelse kazi goal great game ..how far we have fallen

Three... sund v everton ..the noise ,the win, and the sky reporters faces as they could't hear themselvs speak!

Four....sun v burnley ..what a goal that was!

five ..sunderland v skunks,.richardsons free kick never has a free ick been hit harder!

special mention to the man city game for the noise following ji goal .the loudest its been at the sol imho... "He shoots he scores and eats labradors "is a classic!

One.......Sunderland -mancity 1973 ..12 at the time 53000 in roker park ,night game ..never forget it ..walking up the steps to the fulwell end and seeng the brightest green of the pitch framed like a 100 foot tv screen in the dark ..fekking magical night never forget it till the day i die ,nowt matches it to be honest !The only game i went to with my long dead father as he was always working !Great fella great night i bet over half of the folk there that night are now in that special place in heaven for long suffering safc fans.

Two...sunderland v chelse kazi goal great game ..how far we have fallen

Three... sund v everton ..the noise ,the win, and the sky reporters faces as they could't hear themselvs speak!

Four....sun v burnley ..what a goal that was!

five ..sunderland v skunks,.richardsons free kick never has a free ick been hit harder!

special mention to the man city game for the noise following ji goal .the loudest its been at the sol imho... "He shoots he scores and eats labradors "is a classic!
There was a game against the Mags at the SOL (it was a game we won, and was one of the 6 in a row games)
Thierry Henry, was at the SOL, as a pundit for either Sky tv or radio, and he said, he couldn't get over the deafening noise, emotion and passion from our fans.
He said he'd been involved in big games as a player, and covered big games as a pundit, but he'd never heard noise nor seen supporters celebrating as wildly as our fans that day.
He couldn't believe the noise around the ground, even during the half time interval (the game was probably, the one in which Defoe scored the volley, right on half time)

Man City 1973
2-0 v West Ham securing promotion pop robson scored
Chelsea - Gordon Armstrong
Sheffield UTd playoff semi final
Mags - Defoe
Man City 1973
2-0 v West Ham securing promotion pop robson scored
Chelsea - Gordon Armstrong
Sheffield UTd playoff semi final
Mags - Defoe
And maybe the last game at Roker v Liverpool cos I took my dad who was getting frail at the time and I cried a lot

Last edited:
Best atmosphere at the SoL that night, coincidentally my favourite all time game was v Sheffield United but at Roker Park in 1979 we won 6-2 with Alex Sabella playing for Sheffield Utd.
Siddall saved a penna in that game iirc.
If it had been scored, we wouldn't have gone top of division 2, that night, on goal average.

Best atmosphere at the SoL that night, coincidentally my favourite all time game was v Sheffield United but at Roker Park in 1979 we won 6-2 with Alex Sabella playing for Sheffield Utd.
Was at both of them myself. Surprised there's not a few more Roker games mentioned. The atmosphere at Roker with 40-54k in was much better than the SoL, with the Sheff Utd play-off game being an exception. Bolton in 76, Stoke FAC in 76, West Ham 79, Chelsea LC Semi 85 are a few before I moved South.

Sabella was always brilliant against us, he put them 1-0 up in that 6-2 game, Wilf Rostron got a hat trick for us. We were always linked with signing Sabella wish it had come off ! Saw him destroy us in a game at Bramhall Lane, think it was 2-0 to them. FTM

My old boy told me that Sabella was the best player he had even seen at RP.
Great description mate, and out of the 4 family members who went to that game 3 are season ticket holders at Roker Park in the sky.

Last edited:

Back