Top 5 ever home games..

Similar for me

3-1 against City in 1973
Then three for one if I can all three of that fantastic week under Jimmy Adamson 1977 Boro 4-1, WBA 6-1 and West Ham 6-0.
Everton 3-1 under Sam
1976 last game off the season v Portsmouth
V Chelsea - ARMSTRONG’S HEADER
Great choices.
I wasn't at the City game in '73 but was at all the others you mention.
The miraculous revival in '77 was absolutely incredible.
We were dead and buried, and were hopeless, but everything just clicked in February of 77.
I remember seeing us on Match of the Day, battling to a 0-0 draw at Arsenal, but had no clue about what was to happen after that, starting with the 1-0 home win, against Bristol City, which kicked off that amazing sequence of results, against Boro, West Brom & West Ham, where we went goal crazy.
Our form, from the beginning of February, up until the last game at Everton, was league winning form, and made everyone who'd written us off as relegation certs, eat their words.
In 18 league games, from the start of February, til the last game at Everton in May, we defied all logic, and remarkably, only got beaten, just twice in the league.
Sadly the last of those two defeats, was the one that eventually relegated us. (aided and abetted, by Coventry and Bristol City)

Last edited by a moderator:

I couldn't go to the FA Cup v Man City or Chelsea 1992 home( the only game of the whole Cup Run that I missed, home and away).

With that in mind

Vic Halom 3 Derby 0 1973 LC Second replay.
Derby won the league in 71-72 and their team included Nish, Todd, McFarland, Gemmill, Hector, McGovern etc.
The first replay, 1-1 was a cracker too.

2-1 v Bolton to win promotion 1976 , Reidy played for Bolton

2-0 v WHU 1980 to win promotion

3-0 v Everton Last ever game at Roker. Remember a few still standing staring at the pitch 20 minutes later, with " Every time I say goodbye I cry a little" being played on the crackly speakers

At the SOL, any of the recent wins v the mags, probably Defoe's game cos of the astonishing goal.

Of course there are many more and it almost impossible to choose.
Great choices.
I wasn't at the City game in '73 but was at all the others you mention.
The miraculous revival in '77 was absolutely incredible.
We were dead and buried, and were hopeless, but everything just clicked in February of 77.
I remember seeing us on Match of the Day, battling to a 0-0 draw at Arsenal, but had no clue about what was to happen after that, starting with the 1-0 home win, against Bristol City, which kicked off that amazing sequence of results, against Boro, West Brom & West Ham, where we went goal crazy.
Our form, from the beginning of February, up until the last game at Everton, was league winning form, and made everyone who'd written us off as relegation certs, eat their words.
In 18 league games, from the start of February, til the last game at Everton in May, we defied all logic, and remarkably, only got beaten, just twice in the league.
Sadly the last of those two defeats, was the one that eventually relegated us. (aided and abetted, by Coventry and Bristol City)
Aye, that whole period was surreal.
Was at a few of the away games as well, but not Everton (14, at school).
But WBA 3-2 and the comeback at Norwich were incredible.
Then Jimmy f***ing Hill and the Coventry - Bristol City debacle.
Could have put any of the games v Boro, WBA and WHU when we scored 16 goals in consecutive home games or the Easter Monday win v Man Utd on the list as well.

Last edited:

Back