Tony Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Same here, in the promotion game v Bolton in '76, class player ! I think my first England top had #4 on because it's the number Towers wore.
I also remember John ‘Yogi’ Hughes playing his solitary game for Sunderland at Roker Park.Billy’s was injured and never played again. Again would somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

I also remember John ‘Yogi’ Hughes playing his solitary game for Sunderland at Roker Park.Billy’s was injured and never played again. Again would somebody correct me if I’m wrong.
Before my time I think, didn't last till half time did he?

From memory I’m sure he only lasted 10 minutes or so and was then Completely crocked. Never played for us again
This is correct,I was at the game, in the Fulwell.
Might of been 20 mins but wasnt very long anyway

True got him from Celtic
No we got him from Palace actually

This is correct,I was at the game, in the Fulwell.
Might of been 20 mins but wasnt very long anyway

No we got him from Palace actually
Stokoe signed him,we then went for Vic

Last edited:
I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final - Wikipedia

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

1980 European Cup Final - Wikipedia

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.

TT was a quality player indeed!

Saw him playing for Montreal Manic at Cosmos in 82 when working over there.
Had reet curly top then.

From memory I’m sure he only lasted 10 minutes or so and was then Completely crocked. Never played for us again
Wasn't it against Millwall ?

John Hughes debut v Millwall.
We won 2 nil Tueart and Kerr. Less than 23k there.
Ritchie Pitt was sub but don't recall him replacing Yogi.
We got him from Palace 40k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final - Wikipedia

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

1980 European Cup Final - Wikipedia

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.
He still loves us!
Tony Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back