Tony Towers

Vivid memories of a 3-2 win at West Brom 30th April 1977.

1-0 up, 1-1, 2-1 up, 2-2, ,3-2 Towers penalty. We had about 5000 in the Smethwick End, when he scored the penalty huge chant of Tony, Tony Towers. England.

Also remember the black players from West Brom getting abused with chants of Roots when they were attacking the Smethwick End. Cringeworthy looking back now.
I was at the game also. Remember it well. That was probably the starting period for me going to SAFC away games. First one I recall was Middlesbrough - September 76ish, then the Mags Boxing Day? Then Leicester City away in the January with The Travel Club.

Vivid memories of a 3-2 win at West Brom 30th April 1977.

1-0 up, 1-1, 2-1 up, 2-2, ,3-2 Towers penalty. We had about 5000 in the Smethwick End, when he scored the penalty huge chant of Tony, Tony Towers. England.

Also remember the black players from West Brom getting abused with chants of Roots when they were attacking the Smethwick End. Cringeworthy looking back now.
I can remember our own fans chanting that at Roly Gregoire.

I was at the game also. Remember it well. That was probably the starting period for me going to SAFC away games. First one I recall was Middlesbrough - September 76ish, then the Mags Boxing Day? Then Leicester City away in the January with The Travel Club.

I was at Leicester but not Boro or the Mags. Went to about 10-12 games that season, not bad for a schoolboy in the South of England.

I can remember our own fans chanting that at Roly Gregoire.

I don't remember that...but I know he got dog's abuse the next season in a disastrous home defeat to Blackburn.

Last edited:
if you look at the penultimate match of 76/77 at Norwich

Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

and the final game at Everton

Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

you'll see that Kerr came on as sub at Norwich (replacing Tony Towers) and scored. He then retained his place for the Everton game, with towers the sub.

That would suggest to me that he did replace him ..... whether or not they play in the same position is irrelevant
kerr was injured in the newcastle game was out for weeks so was not tactical

The first ever pen I ever saw scored was by Tony Towers. against Derby in a 1-1 draw during the 1976/77 season.
I remember Growler Towers taking a penalty at the Roker End against ?,he hit the bar and Tony headed the rebound in . The goal was disallowed because nobody else had touched the ball. Does anybody remember this? Excellent footballer,clever and tough.

I remember Growler Towers taking a penalty at the Roker End against ?,he hit the bar and Tony headed the rebound in . The goal was disallowed because nobody else had touched the ball. Does anybody remember this? Excellent footballer,clever and tough.

It does ring a bell like!

It was against West Brom in 74/5. Bizzarely their goalie, who earlier had dislocated his finger, came out of goal to allow someone else to face the penalty, before going back in once the referee had blown up for Towers’ indiscretion.
Once we we 3-0 up he was permanently replaced

iIs that right , we played 3 games in 4 days ?
Newcastle on Good Friday
Leeds the day after and Man Utd on Easter Monday :eek:

Yep that's right.

Most teams used to play 3 games in 4 days at Easter.

Can also remember the promotion winning season of 1980, also 3 games in 4 days. We were home to the Mags on Saturday won 1-0, away to Wrexham on Easter Monday, won 1-0 and then away to Shrewsbury on the Tuesday, won 2-1.

Arrogance, steel,leadership, passing and tackling ability and able to chip in with the odd goal. Wish we had a player like him now

I loved Towers.

Tony Towers one of my all time favourite Safc players. When we signed him some supporters thought he was a straight replacement winger for Tueart because he wore no. 11

Remember that, I did too when he came in that deal

Last edited:

Back