Tony Towers

The first ever pen I ever saw scored was by Tony Towers. against Derby in a 1-1 draw during the 1976/77 season.
We were lucky that day to get a, draw.
Iirc, wasn't this game after the 3 Easter games ?

Always remember TT shushing the sunlun fans at York in the pissing rain as he was about to take a penna, and we all did

Last edited by a moderator:
We were lucky that day to get a, draw.
Iirc, wasn't this game after the 3 Easter games ?

Always remember TT shushing the sunlun fans at York in the pissing rain as he was about to take a penna, and we all did

I was young like and I don't remember too much. hales scored for them I think and my legs were like jelly anticipating the pen.

I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final - Wikipedia

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

1980 European Cup Final - Wikipedia

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.

He was my absolute hero – as you might guess – when I was six. He was class and had great hair if I remember. When he left Sunderland I remember my dad summoning me into the lounge and telling me the news as if there was a death in the family.

I went to school as perhaps the only boy in Surrey in absolute bits about Tony Towers being transferred. Not sure I got over it for years.

Worra tit.

He was my absolute hero – as you might guess – when I was six. He was class and had great hair if I remember. When he left Sunderland I remember my dad summoning me into the lounge and telling me the news as if there was a death in the family.

I went to school as perhaps the only boy in Surrey in absolute bits about Tony Towers being transferred. Not sure I got over it for years.

Worra tit.
:lol: Got over it by latching onto the Chargers

;):p

I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final - Wikipedia

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

1980 European Cup Final - Wikipedia

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.

Tony Towers was the most important player in us eventually getting promoted in 76, alongside Pop Robson. Both had real quality and experience.

Vivid memories of a 3-2 win at West Brom 30th April 1977.

1-0 up, 1-1, 2-1 up, 2-2, ,3-2 Towers penalty. We had about 5000 in the Smethwick End, when he scored the penalty huge chant of Tony, Tony Towers. England.

Also remember the black players from West Brom getting abused with chants of Roots when they were attacking the Smethwick End. Cringeworthy looking back now.

From memory didnt he go on that tour to the USA where England ended up playing against Bobby Moore...or am I dreaming that one?
aye same 1 bobby moore and pele played for usa against us

Not really sure, but we’d just been relegated and discovered a midfield trio of Arnott, Elliott and Rowell.

Bobby Kerr replaced him towards the end of 76/77, so I think it might have been a few things
kerr didnt replace him as they didnt play in the same position. they also played in the same team .

Last edited:
kerr didnt replace him as they didnt play in the same position. they also played in the same team .

if you look at the penultimate match of 76/77 at Norwich

Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

and the final game at Everton

Sunderland AFC - Statistics, History and Records - from TheStatCat

you'll see that Kerr came on as sub at Norwich (replacing Tony Towers) and scored. He then retained his place for the Everton game, with towers the sub.

That would suggest to me that he did replace him ..... whether or not they play in the same position is irrelevant

Back