Tony Towers

My Boy Harry

Striker
I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

1970 European Cup Winners' Cup Final - Wikipedia

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

1980 European Cup Final - Wikipedia

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.

I've been watching the Manchester City game v Schalke in the CL and the commentator happened to mention about City winning the 1970 CWC, which I knew about. However what I didnt know is that Tony Towers was in the Man City side that beat Gornik:

Also of course a quirky fact is that jimmy Montgomery of course won a European Cup winner medal for Nottingham Forest in 1980

Tony Towers was a good player for SAFC. Monty of course needs no introduction to any SAFC fan.

Loved Towers, skill and some steel

He’d walk into any Sunderland team in the last 40 years. He had similar attributes to Souness, though not quite as good. Got a couple of England caps while at Roker

I did nearly compare him to Souness, but not as good, and not such a filthy dirty bastard

Would walk into our team now ( not at his age I mean in his day )

He probably would have walked into it last season, at his age :)

Last edited:

Saw Gornik Zabrze play Hajduk Split last Easter. Amazing atmosphere even though it was a friendly. Very passionate fans.

Back