Tony Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroesof73

Striker
Not seen it mentioned on an another thread, apologies if so. He was up for a talk in for a book launch or summat at SOL ast night and came back to the Grey Horse in East Boldon with a couple of the lads. Very humble fella and most appreciative of us that shook his hand and thanked him for his time with us. Refreshing actually in these days of players that mostly dont give a fuck!

Not seen it mentioned on an another thread, apologies if so. He was up for a talk in for a book launch or summat at SOL ast night and came back to the Grey Horse in East Boldon with a couple of the lads. Very humble fella and most appreciative of us that shook his hand and thanked him for his time with us. Refreshing actually in these days of players that mostly dont give a fuck!
Gutted I missed this mate.
My fave player.
His "big dipper" at Blackburn 75 remains one of my favourite goals witnessed !

My fave player.
I wouldnt have recognised him like but the Lads told me who he was--I mentioned that his hair wasnt how I remembered it which made him chuckle and say it was down to age:lol:
He was with another local ex sunlun player Barry....Wardropper I think? It was late!

My fave player.
Me as well. Did he have any crack on what he’s up to. I’ve searched the web (not in a stalker way) to find out what happened to him and if he’s still involved in any way.

Still remember him getting the England call up very exciting times as for the young Maximus, this was the First SAFC player chosen to play for England. I’m sure around the same time, Billy Hughes got capped for Scotland and there was was Tom Finley, the lesser-known Tom Finney who at one time had more appearances for Northern Ireland than SAFC!

They were really exciting times but Mark Anthony Towers (as it called him on his Shoot profile) was a talented and explosive player with a shot matched only by his passing. Took a cool pen as well, though I seem to remember him missing one. We got Towers and £275,000 and Man City got Tueart and

Tony, Tony Towers (England).

I wouldnt have recognised him like but the Lads told me who he was--I mentioned that his hair wasnt how I remembered it which made him chuckle and say it was down to age:lol:
He was with another local ex sunlun player Barry....Wardropper I think? It was late!
Barry Wardrobe possibly he was a reserve around then iirc?

Was working in New Jersey 82 and one of the lads said New York cosmos were playing Montreal manic on the Saturday.
We did the barby in the car park shit and went in to see game.
Bloke playing centre midfield for MM with a great mop of frizzy hair spraying the ball about.
Turned to one of the lads and said " he doesn't half remind me of a guy called Tony Towers".
The yank looks at his programme and says "you know why, cos it is !:lol:.
I was owa the fecking moon !!!
" Tony, Tony Towers -England" repeat....

Not the legendary Barry Wardrobe?

Me as well. Did he have any crack on what he’s up to. I’ve searched the web (not in a stalker way) to find out what happened to him and if he’s still involved in any way.

Still remember him getting the England call up very exciting times as for the young Maximus, this was the First SAFC player chosen to play for England. I’m sure around the same time, Billy Hughes got capped for Scotland and there was was Tom Finley, the lesser-known Tom Finney who at one time had more appearances for Northern Ireland than SAFC!

They were really exciting times but Mark Anthony Towers (as it called him on his Shoot profile) was a talented and explosive player with a shot matched only by his passing. Took a cool pen as well, though I seem to remember him missing one. We got Towers and £275,000 and Man City got Tueart and

Tony, Tony Towers (England).

Barry Wardrobe possibly he was a reserve around then iirc?
Yes probably who it was cheers--bit of a chubby now but TT still looked very well indeed!

Yes probably who it was cheers--bit of a chubby now but TT still looked very well indeed!
One of the lads who went and then came down to Harbour View said he was cracking on with him and Towers didn t want to leave Man City to join us initially !!!

I remember when Blackpool came to RP around May 74 needing a win to go up.
Ex mag Keith Dyson put them ahead and with us having nowt to play for, Blackpools 1500 army thought it was Division 1 here we come time.
Then TT blasted in a 20 yarder with 15-20 to go ! What a cracker.
Then to make it even more miserable for the Tangerine army, Billy Hughes iirc rammed home the winner. Typical Safc!!
Think that was the day Blackpool fans were chased in to the sea ? @Reiver were you behind it ?:lol::lol:

Ive mentioned him before on a number of occasions. My all time favourite Sunderland player. Leader of men, could pass a pall, score the odd goal and stick the boot in when required. How many of the shite that player for us today can manage that.

Fuckin wish we had him today, far more inspiring than cattermole

Played in a 3-2 win over Italy in America late 70s iirc
I had a look and can see that was his third and final cap. He played in the Home internationals v Wales and Northern Ireland (1976)

Here’s a link you might appreciate mate, look out for the Towers v Cruyff pen pic:cool:

http://www.nasljerseys.com/Players/T/Towers.Tony.htm

One of the lads who went and then came down to Harbour View said he was cracking on with him and Towers didn t want to leave Man City to join us initially !!!
Can’t blame him. City were a top side and hadn’t he already won league and European honours with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back