The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's just more shops? From other posts I don't imagine you have a large budget? I must admit I tend to shop for what I want / need so find the idea of browsing shops as a leisure activity a bit weird. The odd time I've had to go to the Metro centre I hate every second of it.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on clothes anyways. I just like the variety of retail outlets and restaurants.

I have a decent income. Not fantastic. Certainly don't blow it all on clothes.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on clothes anyways. I just like the variety of retail outlets and restaurants.

I have a decent income. Not fantastic. Certainly don't blow it all on clothes.
Fair enough. Does nowt for me and even Ms Z can't wait to get away.

Eh?

Did you miss Keel Square with the fountains and ships wheel sculpture? Did you miss the improved paving and street furniture in High Street West? Did you miss the ongoing renovations around the old fire station? Did you miss the new building currently under construction on the Vaux site? Did you actually go to Sunderland?

Are you on glue? It's horrific

You man

"There's lots of variety for lasses but I can't see why a lad would need to go to Newcastle"

I've got a grip, I'm not the one posting shite like the above. I'm sure you're a real bloke who never shops in Newcastle ever :lol:

Some lads might like variety in their clothes shopping beyond Sports Direct and JD

Youve just proven my point. Sunderland has more variety than jd & sports direct, but lets just exaggerate the negatives and ignore the positives then to accuse others of being on a wind up?

Like dozens of large towns/cities all over the country Sunderland's town centre is no longer fit for purpose having largely grown and developed in a pre internet world. This has resulted in capacity far outstripping demand in terms of retail space its no longer enough to call for the space to be made cheaper(the demand simply isnt there)it needs repurposing probably as residential space
A few new paving stones and flower pots is just lipstick on as pig it needs genuine vision and here's the problem it also needs money and a brave man to make the vision a reality

YOU ARE JOKING!

It has.

You can tell some by some of the responses on here you can see some are Sunderland councillors or close friends/relatives of one.

People aren't asking for Dubai Skyscrapers, they want their money's worth for the cuts of late.
The rubbish thing is getting beyond a joke now, becoming a common sight where rubbish tips are piling up in streets. I got a notice 2 weeks ago they're no longer accepting excessive bags and I live in a flat of 12 people with 2 bins on a fortnightly collection, absolute pisstake like.
The ever increasing Rat problem on St Peters Metro. We counted 24 rats last Thursday after it rained (best conditions for them) and amazingly we discovered that someone is actively feeding them pouring corn all over the place

The usual Len Loony Lowther response. Cant accept that people can be positive without accusations of being councillors thereby not being capable of rational debate

Last edited:
No Fenwick, house of fraser, selfridges, reiss, Hugo boss even f***ing all saints for lads shopping. Never mind women's. You do realise most people like shopping somewhere nicer than topman and tkmax?

Those are shops that are only located in the large major cities and large shopping centres like metro & trafford.
It does have shops that sell designer like Flannels.

Youve just proven my point. Sunderland has more variety than jd & sports direct, but lets just exaggerate the negatives and ignore the positives then to accuse others of being on a wind up?

He was implying lads have no reason to shop elsewhere and those who do are like lasses

Don't fall for it

There's plenty of decent bars and shops would open if there was a demand.
Out of interest, what items do you wish to buy that you need to travel to the Metrocentre to get?
I tend to buy most of my stuff from the internet so I maybe don't notice this struggle you are having but I suspect that most stuff that you can get in the Metrocentre, you can get in Sunderland.

As always with these threads, people will see what they want to see. If you want to see the good, you will, if you want to see the bad, it is also there.
Sunderland is far from perfect but the OP is misleading to say the least. No investment in decades, light years better twenty years ago etc.
I'll tell you one thing I've noticed is that clothes shops cater towards the denizens of the city they are built in. As such, place like H&M and River Island sell a poorer range of clothing in our town than in Newcastle - they're almost like different shops. It's much better to go shopping for gear in Newcastle or the Metro if you have a bit of leeway in what you're looking for. I go to Sunderland quite regularly and it is a pretty grim town centre.

They could use Bridges shufflers in a zombie film but not one where the zombies were violent & eating folk. More one where they gazed apathetically from Debenhams to Schuh, then for a coffee down Blandford Street, stopping off to meet "me Mam" outside Blakelocks...

...the true zombies would be in Dalton Park.

Those are shops that are only located in the large major cities and large shopping centres like metro & trafford.
It does have shops that sell designer like Flannels.
Jesus, have you seen the stuff they stick on the models in the window? It's like garlic to a vampire for me. Very expensive gear that looks like shit.

Like dozens of large towns/cities all over the country Sunderland's town centre is no longer fit for purpose having largely grown and developed in a pre internet world. This has resulted in capacity far outstripping demand in terms of retail space its no longer enough to call for the space to be made cheaper(the demand simply isnt there)it needs repurposing probably as residential space
A few new paving stones and flower pots is just lipstick on as pig it needs genuine vision and here's the problem it also needs money and a brave man to make the vision a reality

See my earlier post. Totally agree. Residential is the way forward for Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back