The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

More development going on in sunderland at the moment than at any time in our lifetimes.

Exciting times indeed
I think you are correct. However, the fact that the City still looks a state shows how far we have fallen in the last 30 years - like lots and lots of towns and cities in the UK. There are great things happening but it will take decades of sustained development to get Sunderland to where it should be.

The streets could be paved with gold and they'd still find something to moan about on here.
We are predisposed to expecting the worst.

The government were proposing £30million per year for a mayoral constituency covering 7 metropolitan boroughs while cutting more than £30million per year from central government funding for EACH of those metropolitan boroughs. The deal is an insult.

What else did the deal bring...devolved decision making over things like transport. Well we have had that for some time now...maybe even more powers but we should benefit from that whether we are in or out of any deal.

By saying 'no' we have actually said that we are not devolving decision making powers from Sunderland to Newcastle. That was always the aim for Newcastle...the aspiration...to rule the north east.

No thanks

I used to think it was a shithole but having spent a weekend in Slough and seeing how that has 'developed' in the 15 years since I moved back up here made me realise that it's not that bad. Seen a couple of comments about the train station too and again it's not the shit hole that people make out. I rarely go shopping anyway but the bridges is no different to most shopping centres really

I did see Dave the rave for my first time ever on Friday though so I may be mentally scarred

You're taking the piss there surely? It's awful. Embarrassing for the city to have that as its national station on the east coast mainline imo.

A main transport hub to a city center should be welcoming, somewhere you aren't arsed about hanging about for half an hour while waiting for your late/delayed train while you grab a sandwich or a cup of coffee or read a paper - I'd rather stand outside in the cold than wait in there for longer than 5 minutes. A truly miserable place to start/end your journey. Being an underground station isn't ideal but it certainly could be made a lot more pleasant.

similar problems, too close to Manchester & Trafford centre.

It would be easy to pin the blame on the council. There have been baffling decisions, such as allowing the beautiful old fire station to be knocked down and replaced by generic flats. Others decry money poorly spent: there was an uproar last year when local journalists uncovered a £300,000 grant from the council to a legal firm in exchange for keeping their offices in the centre of town.

If only Sunderland council had had the money to knock our old fire station down it too would probably be long gone.

More development going on in sunderland at the moment than at any time in our lifetimes.

Exciting times indeed
Yeah, I may disagree with some of the aesthetic designs of some buildings but it's what this city needs.

Mind on saying this, I would like to see more regeneration going into poor council estates and rundown areas than just plonking fancy buildings here and there.;)

Yeah, I may disagree with some of the aesthetic designs of some buildings but it's what this city needs.

Mind on saying this, I would like to see more regeneration going into poor council estates and rundown areas than just plonking fancy buildings here and there.;)
Suddick and Marley Potts

We are predisposed to expecting the worst.

The government were proposing £30million per year for a mayoral constituency covering 7 metropolitan boroughs while cutting more than £30million per year from central government funding for EACH of those metropolitan boroughs. The deal is an insult.

What else did the deal bring...devolved decision making over things like transport. Well we have had that for some time now...maybe even more powers but we should benefit from that whether we are in or out of any deal.

By saying 'no' we have actually said that we are not devolving decision making powers from Sunderland to Newcastle. That was always the aim for Newcastle...the aspiration...to rule the north east.

No thanks
Bet you love last night at the proms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back