The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you on glue? It's horrific

No.

No Fenwick, house of fraser, selfridges, reiss, Hugo boss even f***ing all saints for lads shopping. Never mind women's. You do realise most people like shopping somewhere nicer than topman and tkmax?

They're stores with a small number of retail outlets in key locations. Many smaller cities and towns don't have those stores.

The people voted leave, money due from EU with more to come, not coming anymore. That's what you get for following a bunch of clowns.

It's fine because we've saved the NHS with the £300m a week now. Swings and roundabouts.

So when we leave the EU we save 300m quid and that money goes straight to the NHS - yeah whatever. The state of Sunderland has nothing to do with the locals voting to leave. If you take Coventry as an example (close proximity to Birmingham a much bigger city) the University, the main hospital, retail, crown court, office jobs are all within the city centre and it has a decent-ish railway station. Sunderland has nothing but retail and a bit of leisure (even the council don't seem to have many workers in the centre any more). Plenty of druggies, tracksuit zombies, beggars walking around say Leeds or Newcastle but because there are lots of workers, residents the "zombies" don't stand out. Hoping the Vaux site and increasing students living in the center will help but we also need a new court and a decent railway station to make the place feel more of a city. Keel square and the new "fire station" look great but the likes of the old JD Sports building should be pulled down. Geographically, Sunderland is always going to suffer but it does not make enough of the assets it has. Sure people come here and don't even realize we have a river and a fantastic coastline.

It's not the city centre to blame, it's the state of most of the people who shuffle round it! Miserable, overweight, callow, unkempt....etc

Awful thing you say but can't say it isn't true. Had to go into to town during the day midweek last month. It was like night of the living dead. People look ill

So when we leave the EU we save 300m quid and that money goes straight to the NHS - yeah whatever. The state of Sunderland has nothing to do with the locals voting to leave. If you take Coventry as an example (close proximity to Birmingham a much bigger city) the University, the main hospital, retail, crown court, office jobs are all within the city centre and it has a decent-ish railway station. Sunderland has nothing but retail and a bit of leisure (even the council don't seem to have many workers in the centre any more). Plenty of druggies, tracksuit zombies, beggars walking around say Leeds or Newcastle but because there are lots of workers, residents the "zombies" don't stand out. Hoping the Vaux site and increasing students living in the center will help but we also need a new court and a decent railway station to make the place feel more of a city. Keel square and the new "fire station" look great but the likes of the old JD Sports building should be pulled down. Geographically, Sunderland is always going to suffer but it does not make enough of the assets it has. Sure people come here and don't even realize we have a river and a fantastic coastline.

I was being facetious

Awful thing you say but can't say it isn't true. Had to go into to town during the day midweek last month. It was like night of the living dead. People look ill

This is the overwhelming thing I see when I come back.

I only live 100 mile down the road in Leeds, but people in the Bridges never look well when I come back.

The people voted leave, money due from EU with more to come, not coming anymore. That's what you get for following a bunch of clowns.
All EU money is dependent on your government matching it (even though its your money in the first place).
Dont try to blame the state of Sunderland town centre on Brexit. Stop trying to cloud the argument.
Sunderlands woes are all to do with having two larger retail areas close by that suck the life out of the town.
That and an impenetrable one way system that means it is impossible to drive into the town. Then add in all the parking restrictions and for anybody living on the outskirts its easier to go to Maggie land and the Metro Centre.

All EU money is dependent on your government matching it (even though its your money in the first place).
Dont try to blame the state of Sunderland town centre on Brexit. Stop trying to cloud the argument.
Sunderlands woes are all to do with having two larger retail areas close by that suck the life out of the town.
That and an impenetrable one way system that means it is impossible to drive into the town. Then add in all the parking restrictions and for anybody living on the outskirts its easier to go to Maggie land and the Metro Centre.
I take you are a brexit supporter, changed your name again eh?

Still not as good as Sunderlands
It has the great advantage of not having Makems around.

I take you are a brexit supporter, changed your name again eh?
You havent a clue how i voted or even if i did.
The thread is about the state of the town centre not about brexit. The town centre has been on a down ward spiral long before the refurendum. So when money was available unless the government matched it, you were unable to access the funds.
More worrying is the article this morning saying that the government will allow North of Tyne (Newcastle it all but name) to set up a devolved authority.
But they will allow those to South of the Tyne (Co Durham) join at a later date.

Blinkered or what....have you ever been to Eldon sq...or walked up from the centre for life...now that's zombie land.
Sland needs a new railway station..that would make a huge difference along with other things going on at the minute.
Go to any large place and you'll get the good, bad and the ugly.
People slag of sland who never come here...I work with them...bars are the same as most cities...shops are the same as most cities...big chain shops only go to a small number to cities..when we dont have investment people complain..now we do have investment people are still complaining...give it a rest, we need to be positive...I can walk around Newcastle and point out its bad parts, but people from there and their council have a positive attitude about where they live...go to similar size places to sland or ncastle and you'd see the same.
One more thing...if you can't have a good night out in sland there something wrong with the group you're with...I had a cracking afternoon out along the seafront yesterday and later in the city centre...plenty of bars and places to eat...I have mates from Southampton way and they love coming to sland for nights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back