The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the one thing I want demolishing. The place is like a scene from a zombie film.

Fill up the empty spaces in the more desirable parts of town with the stores inside the bridges then create some new plans for the plot of land this would leave.

Easier said than done I realise.
The stores inside the Bridges are chain stores who rely on being in indoor shopping centres.
Can you remember how grey and desolate it was before the Bridges was built?
There's nothing wrong with the shopping centre itself, you seem to be complaining about the people in it. They aren't going to change any time soon.

The stores inside the Bridges are chain stores who rely on being in indoor shopping centres.
Can you remember how grey and desolate it was before the Bridges was built?
There's nothing wrong with the shopping centre itself, you seem to be complaining about the people in it. They aren't going to change any time soon.

I'm too young mate! The bridges is all I've ever known for our city!

It's ideal for a pre/post match drink. Dunno why more away fans don't utilise it.

If i wasnt a MLF id say Sunderland was one of the best away days outside of london for a weekend stop over with the lads because of location of ground to city centre bars & that

I'm too young mate! The bridges is all I've ever known for our city!
Be careful what you wish for, mate. The Bridges is a massive improvement on what went before.
As others have said, we need jobs in the centre for people to spend money, for more restaurants, bars and better shops to open. Bit of a chicken and egg situation as the businesses won't necessarily open without these things in place.
Sunderland does have a good independent cafe/coffee shop and music scene. That could grow into something and improve other areas of the city centre.

The seagulls and pigeons are messing it up and the council doesn't have the resources to address this.

But there are some pockets of good activity, it will be a case of trying to join them up and continuing to try to attract some investment.

Buildings are nice and I'm pleased that somewhere that isn't Gateshead is getting some kind of arty investment, but people come for shops and I can't say I've ever had any need to go to Sunderland shopping.

Newcastle or the Metro aye, not Sunderland.

That seems to be the OP's point - no decent shops or bars or owt.

Mind you I'm happy with cheap food and chain places so I'm part of the problem and not the solution.

Sunderland has most of the big name high street chain stores. The claim that you need to shop in Newcastle or metro is nonsense really that many on here like to claim

Keel Square is an improvement however the two empty pubs are an eyesore

Walked along Fawcett Street after the match yesterday. I normally don't go that way. First time I've been along Fawcett Street for quite some time. It was rather depressing, particularly when you consider the historical prominence of that street.

You can tell some by some of the responses on here you can see some are Sunderland councillors or close friends/relatives of one.

People aren't asking for Dubai Skyscrapers, they want their money's worth for the cuts of late.
The rubbish thing is getting beyond a joke now, becoming a common sight where rubbish tips are piling up in streets. I got a notice 2 weeks ago they're no longer accepting excessive bags and I live in a flat of 12 people with 2 bins on a fortnightly collection, absolute pisstake like.
The ever increasing Rat problem on St Peters Metro. We counted 24 rats last Thursday after it rained (best conditions for them) and amazingly we discovered that someone is actively feeding them pouring corn all over the place

You can tell some by some of the responses on here you can see some are Sunderland councillors or close friends/relatives of one.

People aren't asking for Dubai Skyscrapers, they want their money's worth for the cuts of late.
The rubbish thing is getting beyond a joke now, becoming a common sight where rubbish tips are piling up in streets.
The ever increasing Rat problem on St Peters Metro. We counted 24 rats last Thursday after it rained (best conditions for them) and amazingly we discovered that someone is actively feeding them pouring corn all over the place
Hard to get your money's worth when there's less money mind

Reactions: gav

The rubbish thing is getting beyond a joke now, becoming a common sight where rubbish tips are piling up in streets. I got a notice 2 weeks ago they're no longer accepting excessive bags and I live in a flat of 12 people with 2 bins on a fortnightly collection, absolute pisstake like.
:lol:
Not sure Sunderland Council can be blamed for someone feeding rats.

My concern is that some of the decisions taken by the Council, in the name of austerity, are short sighted and bring about other issues that bring more pressure on the available cash - and the cycle continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back