The state of the City centre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buildings are nice and I'm pleased that somewhere that isn't Gateshead is getting some kind of arty investment, but people come for shops and I can't say I've ever had any need to go to Sunderland shopping.

Newcastle or the Metro aye, not Sunderland.

That seems to be the OP's point - no decent shops or bars or owt.

Mind you I'm happy with cheap food and chain places so I'm part of the problem and not the solution.

The shop selection is terrible and we need to look at this as a priority but no decent shops are going to look to put something there when our who town centre operates between 9-5:30 then basically tell everyone to get out.

We are in desperate need of a culture shift where we have shops open til 8pm at least, cafes, coffee shops and eateries that are not cheap Italians or Indians that are open late where people want to go when they're finished work/college/uni - something along the lines of what Eldon Square have put in.

As @RestlessNatives pointed out the other day, "City of Culture" is not based on existing culture, it is about developing and articulating culture within the city and bringing in investment so that it can develop into a "city of culture", it's about potential.

Otherwise, we might as well give that award to Manchester/Leeds/London every period, but that's not the case is it? Rather all of the bidders are cities like ours, hoping to develop their cultural foundations to obtain investment.

I am tired of people putting down Sunderland as a city, I am well aware of its flaws, difficulties and painful history, but the only way forward is to end this attitude of negativity, pessimism and self-shame because honestly it does us no good.

Right now we are experiencing one of the biggest sprees of development and investment in the city's recent history. I have never seen things change as much in my lifetime, yet people are still not satisfied, despite:
  • A new bridge
  • The Vaux Site getting done (The Crown jewel of council criticism is finally being sorted!)
  • A new music and arts centre
  • the fire station redevelopment
  • the beacon of light
  • The joplings site to be converted
  • The new Tombola HQ getting built
  • new accomodation and restaurants down by the riverside
  • The new college next to park lane
  • All the regeneration of the seafront so far
  • Even more regeneration of Seaburn planned
This is the Sunderland Renaissance, stop putting our city down!

See above.

The shop selection is terrible and we need to look at this as a priority but no decent shops are going to look to put something there when our who town centre operates between 9-5:30 then basically tell everyone to get out.

We are in desperate need of a culture shift where we have shops open til 8pm at least, cafes, coffee shops and eateries that are not cheap Italians or Indians that are open late where people want to go when they're finished work/college/uni - something along the lines of what Eldon Square have put in.

See above.

Until Sunderland City centre has a load of offices those things you want will never happen. Places that do have loads of workers going straight out for bait and drinks after work.

See above.

"We"

:):):)

Mag

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked along Fawcett Street after the match yesterday. I normally don't go that way. First time I've been along Fawcett Street for quite some time. It was rather depressing, particularly when you consider the historical prominence of that street.

Some of the architecture in that street is very good it's a shame it's been left to rot, if we only had Fawcett Street and Holmside renovated it would make a massive difference to the town centre.

Were still owed for the stupid bastards knocking down the old town hall.

Blinkered or what....have you ever been to Eldon sq...or walked up from the centre for life...now that's zombie land.
Sland needs a new railway station..that would make a huge difference along with other things going on at the minute.
Go to any large place and you'll get the good, bad and the ugly.
People slag of sland who never come here...I work with them...bars are the same as most cities...shops are the same as most cities...big chain shops only go to a small number to cities..when we dont have investment people complain..now we do have investment people are still complaining...give it a rest, we need to be positive...I can walk around Newcastle and point out its bad parts, but people from there and their council have a positive attitude about where they live...go to similar size places to sland or ncastle and you'd see the same.
One more thing...if you can't have a good night out in sland there something wrong with the group you're with...I had a cracking afternoon out along the seafront yesterday and later in the city centre...plenty of bars and places to eat...I have mates from Southampton way and they love coming to sland for nights out.

I agree that there are rough looking people in all towns but from my experience there's a high percentage of overweight people who look at deaths door carrying out their dying wish of a pasty accompanied by a fag

One of my London mates (Charlton fan) loves away games at Sunderland. Him and his mates all stay at a B and B in Roker and go on the drink round there. He says it's one of his favourite away trips.

My mam's cleaner (no) and her husband, who both support Blackburn, do the same and say the place is fantastic

Until Sunderland City centre has a load of offices those things you want will never happen. Places that do have loads of workers going straight out for bait and drinks after work.

There are already enough plus the uni and college to get started but the shopping would attract countless others. Pointless waiting to build more offices, it needs to be rectified now.

I think govt policy regarding city/town parking needs to be looked at. People would rather go to Dalton Park / metro centre / Silverlink because of free parking than pay to park in Sunderland or South Shields. If car parking was charged for at the likes of Dalton Park interesting to see what the impact would be. If Sunderland had free car parking rather than driving in, doing whatever and then rushing away because of the car parking charges, may be tempted to stay and spend more money. North Shields is dying on it's arse when Royal Quays and Silverlink have free parking 5 mins away and can spend as much time as they want. We need to have a level playing field.

I think govt policy regarding city/town parking needs to be looked at. People would rather go to Dalton Park / metro centre / Silverlink because of free parking than pay to park in Sunderland or South Shields. If car parking was charged for at the likes of Dalton Park interesting to see what the impact would be. If Sunderland had free car parking rather than driving in, doing whatever and then rushing away because of the car parking charges, may be tempted to stay and spend more money. North Shields is dying on it's arse when Royal Quays and Silverlink have free parking 5 mins away and can spend as much time as they want. We need to have a level playing field.

Must be said when I gan shopping in town I'm not arsed about the £2 parking charge like. It's only a couple of benk man.

Open later to cater for more people/working people for starters.
Again, is the demand there? You are eating into a store's profits if you expect them to open longer hours, pay staff, electricity etc when there may not be a demand. I'm sure they look into this sort of stuff and Sunderland BID have done surveys etc.
I know independents are reluctant to extend their hours unless they know there is something specific happening.
It's all about profit at the end of the day and if the shops thought there was profit to be made, they would be open.

Again, is the demand there? You are eating into a store's profits if you expect them to open longer hours, pay staff, electricity etc when there may not be a demand. I'm sure they look into this sort of stuff and Sunderland BID have done surveys etc.
I know independents are reluctant to extend their hours unless they know there is something specific happening.
It's all about profit at the end of the day and if the shops thought there was profit to be made, they would be open.

The fact that I know of two independent places in town who are increasing their hours, one specifically moving to a better location in town as they are hoping on a change of culture says otherwise.

At present you have to travel to the metrocentre if you want to shop after office hours which is ridiculous really.

How's the "free after 3" parking on Thursdays working in the town? Is that attracting people?

It's awful, but most mid size towns and cities in the country are no better.

We're a bit spoiled in the north/north east having Durham, York, Newcastle, Harrogate easily accessible.

Go a bit further and you've got the likes of Doncaster, Derby and arguably even Sheffield which are no better or worse than Sunderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back