The Safety of Fans in the North Stand

Radio Newcastle on the way to the match.

• Sheffield United are getting shot of their net apparently as it collects all kind of crap. Ruling a horizontal net out as one at the SoL for similar reasons (and would need to be bigger than Brammal Lane's net anyway).
  • A vertical net isn't an option as they'll need to abseil to maintain it. And it won't stop coins.
  • Moving people isn't an option.
  • Edit - They suggested they were looking into clubs bringing their own stewards. At the moment we have 1 steward for about 250 fans. The number should be 1 for 60. Apparently.

To me moving people is the only option really. Or they could end up moving people in stretchers or worse.

The caring club

I honestly believe it’s the optics of installing a net that concerns the club. Effectively we’d be the first club in English football to install a net and the club are concerned that it draws negative attention.

They know the away support will moan and eventually the EFL will take action.

I guess the negative attention Sheffield get didn't make your radar?

Actually just realised this has probably been mentioned since you posted this. 😂

Last edited:
I'll say it again . Retractable vertical net fine enough to stop coins . The net isnt dropped unless theres report of an object being thrown . If you dont like to watch footy through a net dont chuck stuff, take it up with the div that chucked the object if the net gets dropped . Away fans will soon self police

I guess the negative attention Sheffield get didn't make your radar?

Actually just realised this has probably been mentioned since you posted this. 😂

The Sheff Utd net is different to the one we considered bud. The one at Sheff Utd partially covers the lower tier of the away end. The one we looked at was a vertical one

It's strange because that's where they used to be and they have cells nearby.
Allegedly the club said that police said trouble was far down and arrests down 60% compared to where they were previously.

Some others also claimed that the council wasn't keen because of the sheepfold development and the Stoke forum had a response that reckoned they won't move away fans because of the new bridge being built and expected flow or crowds.

@Guinness Guzzler might know more but I'd imagine it's a combination of all.

Allegedly the club said that police said trouble was far down and arrests down 60% compared to where they were previously.

Some others also claimed that the council wasn't keen because of the sheepfold development and the Stoke forum had a response that reckoned they won't move away fans because of the new bridge being built and expected flow or crowds.

I guess that'll be true because they can do whatever they want to there. 😂

The bridge thing definitely makes sense though.

They are going to redevelop the Stables in Sheepfolds into a leisure venue to attract people pre and post match, plus there will be other places to go and the new bridge. There won't be room to park away coaches when it's finished, so then you have the problem of walking away fans round to coaches through a stream of oncoming home fans wishing to walk through the new development.

They are going to redevelop the Stables in Sheepfolds into a leisure venue to attract people pre and post match, plus there will be other places to go and the new bridge. There won't be room to park away coaches when it's finished, so then you have the problem of walking away fans round to coaches through a stream of oncoming home fans wishing to walk through the new development.
Wherever they are they will pass or be passed by home supporters. They are now by us coming out of the West Stand and heading south and the North Stand.

Move the away fans to East Stand as close to South East corner as possible; charge them top prices. Not behind the goal or either assistant ref so unable to influence them. Make them sell in blocks front to back starting next to corner, if they don’t sell out, open up to home fans. Whole of the South Stand becomes main singing area with railed seating. Make North or North Upper families zone, nearest to Beacon.

I'll not tag him as I'm sure he has enough to do, but when Guinness Guzzler gets back to this thread I'd be interested to hear what the club have said to RAWA this last week.

I'll not tag him as I'm sure he has enough to do, but when Guinness Guzzler gets back to this thread I'd be interested to hear what the club have said to RAWA this last week.

Unfortunately nothing will happen with this. I signed the petition to show my support to move the aways but the only thing that will make the club act is people voting with their feet and not buying season cards and tickets in the danger zone (so to speak). The poor lad in the wheelchair must have been frantic and scared to death when that landed around him and the club have come out and said they have moved his ticket. More people will need to come forward and do the same

Back