The Safety of Fans in the North Stand

Can't work out if you're being serious or not.

You'd mind if one hit you on the head from a height and your clothes were covered in dye.

Just on that, did they actually eject that Birmingham fan or just wait until they check the footage after the game? If nothing happened on the day it shows the stewarding, policing and cctv isn't working.

It can take VAR several minutes to make a decision on who did what when and they have multiple cameras pointing at the event.
For the police Sometimes it’s not clear from one angle and you have to peice together a picture from multiple camera angles. Which is not always possible during the game, given the match still needs policing.
This is what happened with the Birmingham incident. Where as the Hull guilty were identified at the time.
Post a link when he gets done mate.
Should be pointed out the majority of fans are just normal footy fans and idiots like this should be banned for life.

"Helen said the club had reassured Charlie he will have his season ticket moved to another part of the ground."

So club assuring this poor lad he'll not have to go back to the North Stand, but the rest of us are fair game for a missile being thrown down.

That’s obviously to deal with his particular anxiety but it’s a reasonable conclusion to come to.

Last edited:

I'll say it again . Retractable vertical net fine enough to stop coins . The net isnt dropped unless theres report of an object being thrown . If you dont like to watch footy through a net dont chuck stuff, take it up with the div that chucked the object if the net gets dropped . Away fans will soon self police
This

There will be some weight in the fixings and the netting that would be required to go up to fix this, all of which will then have to be inspected, maintained and repaired - but it’s absolutely possible.

I’ve mentioned it here further back in this thread, but I work in Health and Safety, and the club either has some poor advice here, or the advice is not being listened to.

All we need is one fan to be injured enough to then have to go to hospital for treatment and the club have a RIDDOR reportable incident on their hands, which I hope the local authority would jump all over.

The club have admitted there is an issue. They now need to do everything that is reasonably practicable (different to doing everything possible) to control the risk.

Removing coins, and vapes off people isn’t working, it’s been proven as they still keep coming down from above, so pretending that is a control mechanism isn’t going to wash.

Health and safety controls need to applied in a hierarchy, the first point being elimination. You eliminate the risk if you move the fans.

If you can’t eliminate the risk, you substitute it. We could give the away fans foam coins and vapes to throw about I suppose.

If you can’t substitute the risk, you apply engineering controls, a net, screen or such like would satisfy this.

It’s well trodden path how this is managed, and it’s quite apparent the club either don’t know how to do this OR have made the decision to accept the risk - the costs of an injury are probably less than those of a net and the subsequent maintenance , so it would appear that is the decision they have taken.

There will be some weight in the fixings and the netting that would be required to go up to fix this, all of which will then have to be inspected, maintained and repaired - but it’s absolutely possible.

I’ve mentioned it here further back in this thread, but I work in Health and Safety, and the club either has some poor advice here, or the advice is not being listened to.

All we need is one fan to be injured enough to then have to go to hospital for treatment and the club have a RIDDOR reportable incident on their hands, which I hope the local authority would jump all over.

The club have admitted there is an issue. They now need to do everything that is reasonably practicable (different to doing everything possible) to control the risk.

Removing coins, and vapes off people isn’t working, it’s been proven as they still keep coming down from above, so pretending that is a control mechanism isn’t going to wash.

Health and safety controls need to applied in a hierarchy, the first point being elimination. You eliminate the risk if you move the fans.

If you can’t eliminate the risk, you substitute it. We could give the away fans foam coins and vapes to throw about I suppose.

If you can’t substitute the risk, you apply engineering controls, a net, screen or such like would satisfy this.

It’s well trodden path how this is managed, and it’s quite apparent the club either don’t know how to do this OR have made the decision to accept the risk - the costs of an injury are probably less than those of a net and the subsequent maintenance , so it would appear that is the decision they have taken.
Last option provide PPE to those in the north stand lower :lol:

This

And that is before we get on to considering the risk of a fan being seriously injured or worse and the Corporate Manslaughter statute becoming relevant

Some of the senior people involved in making these decisions would be well advised to check their personal liability if this all ends tragically

The cost of an injury could run into millions.

It wouldn’t usually, Construction company fined £800,000 after death of 10-year-old boy this is just one recent example, plus the club will have insurance which the insurer will also be accepting of the risks involved.
This

And that is before we get on to considering the risk of a fan being seriously injured or worse and the Corporate Manslaughter statute becoming relevant

Some of the senior people involved in making these decisions would be well advised to check their personal liability if this all ends tragically

If I was head of H&S there, this would all be well documented and on the toes of someone far more important than me.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t usually, Construction company fined £800,000 after death of 10-year-old boy this is just one recent example, plus the club will have insurance which the insurer will also be accepting of the risks involved.

If I was head of H&S there, this would all be well documented and on the toes of someone far more important than me.

Work it’s way up the chain to KLD ultimately

Which makes the - effective - inaction all the more puzzling

Whether the insurance company would accept liability given the number of incidents in which dangerous items have been thrown from above this season - and the club’s so-called mitigation measures - might be open to debate

Last edited:

Get some sort of head injury causes brain damage and requires around the clock care for the rest of someone’s life plus the compensation for actual injury itself and it can end up being more than death compo claim, particularly 800k.

Wouldnt be if it was one of mine , I'd have KLD's last franc;

I'd be surprised if anyone on here has said that throwing pyro like that looks class mind
a number of people said they looked class. TBF most if not all objected to them being thrown.

there was a lot said, re a particular flag (IIRC it was for JD surfer), when permission was withdrawn at the last minute for the flag to be unfurled because of smoke bomb being let off.
A few in number of smoke bombs have been thrown from the south stand, a few made it onto the pitch, some never and dropped short.

at the end of the day, no supporter whether home or away should be taking smoke bombs into the ground

common sense says they will be thrown as otherwise it will identify the offender and cover them in smoke.

I we are talking about coins or vapes, this (coins) has been a problem for years. Chelsea in 1985 at RP was the worst I saw at RP.

can never stop coin throwing, apart from arresting and convicting the offender.

somehow over the past 20 years occasions of object throwing has become slowly worse and evidence can be seen on tv. Still a rarity in the grand scheme, but problem is growing

a number of people said they looked class. TBF most if not all objected to them being thrown.

there was a lot said, re a particular flag (IIRC it was for JD surfer), when permission was withdrawn at the last minute for the flag to be unfurled because of smoke bomb being let off.
A few in number of smoke bombs have been thrown from the south stand, a few made it onto the pitch, some never and dropped short.

at the end of the day, no supporter whether home or away should be taking smoke bombs into the ground

common sense says they will be thrown as otherwise it will identify the offender and cover them in smoke.

I we are talking about coins or vapes, this (coins) has been a problem for years. Chelsea in 1985 at RP was the worst I saw at RP.

can never stop coin throwing, apart from arresting and convicting the offender.

somehow over the past 20 years occasions of object throwing has become slowly worse and evidence can be seen on tv. Still a rarity in the grand scheme, but problem is growing

Am I right in thinking people think they look class bring thrown? I mean they look decent to an extent when lit up and people just hold them

Am I right in thinking people think they look class bring thrown? I mean they look decent to an extent when lit up and people just hold them

people in this country anyway, will not keep hold of them as it means they will be identified, arrested and banned

as said previously I think most hinted, they did not approve of them being thrown. as per the line above though, it is the next step to throw them, as they dont want to get caught.

Back