The Safety of Fans in the North Stand

It wouldn’t usually, Construction company fined £800,000 after death of 10-year-old boy this is just one recent example, plus the club will have insurance which the insurer will also be accepting of the risks involved.

If I was head of H&S there, this would all be well documented and on the toes of someone far more important than me.
Whilst not knowing the specifics of the insurer, I’d be absolutely amazed if any insurance company accepted liability for any such event after the amount of near misses the club have had thus far

Work it’s way up the chain to KLD ultimately

Which makes the - effective - inaction all the more puzzling

Whether the insurance company would accept liability given the number of incidents in which dangerous items have been thrown from above this season - and the club’s so-called mitigation measures - might be open to debate

It’s KLD saying no to the spending of money rest assured. No other senior exec would make that call based on the risk to KLD himself

Will a net of some sort be in place, or once again are the club gonna take a chance no one is seriously hurt next season.

Bloody silly if you ask me - and a serious risk of a terrible incident in the making

No doubt there will be absolutely nobody among the thousands of Leeds United fans due next season inclined to throw anything 🙄
Tbf whilst I think away fans should never have been put in a physically dominating end in the SOL for a variety of reasons, a lot of bigger clubs with decent followings have never hoyed anything dangerous on their visits. Funny how it’s chip on their shoulder fans like Coventry and Birmingham who’ve been the worst offenders.

Sooner away fans are moved out of there the better.

Clubs either talking absolute shite about netting or they haven’t even looked into it properly. If you believe what they say then pretty much every club in Europe has a team of abseilers maintaining the netting in place after every game. Utter bullshit.

This. If the away fans are staying there then netting is the answer. Works at so many other stadiums.

It feels like club are just awaiting a serious incident/injury to happen first. I'd feel let down if I sat in the North Stand.

This. If the away fans are staying there then netting is the answer. Works at so many other stadiums.

It feels like club are just awaiting a serious incident/injury to happen first. I'd feel let down if I sat in the North Stand.
The club are just putting their heads in the sand and hoping it won’t happen again instead of actively putting things in place. They’re scared of the optics of putting a m net up for whatever reason. Home fan safety should come first not away fans complaining about their view.

I am not a legal expert, but if someone was to get seriously injured the club would be wide open for a massive legal claim, especially as they havnt resolved the issue?

Anyone know?

H&S is mad nowadays, but not at SOL

Not necessarily, so long as the risks are made clear to all attendees. There's a legal doctrine called volenti non fit injuria whch states that a person accepting a known risk cannot subsequently claim against the other party.

I'm not convinced it would necessarily apply here, but tort law judges can be laws unto themselves, and these cases aren't decided by a jury.

Not necessarily, so long as the risks are made clear to all attendees. There's a legal doctrine called volenti non fit injuria whch states that a person accepting a known risk cannot subsequently claim against the other party.

I'm not convinced it would necessarily apply here, but tort law judges can be laws unto themselves, and these cases aren't decided by a jury.
I suppose the counter argument is the risk has been pointed out to the club numerous times

Let's hope it's never put to the test but even morally it's wrong that they are not taking the safety of their own fans seriously.

how come this isn't an issue up the road?
Think it's been mentioned previously that Premier League away attendances are much more likely to be full of people with season cards and high loyalty points who don't want to risk a banning order. Some of our problems seem to come from large away followings, often larger than their average, where some will be turning up who aren't necessarily arsed about the football and might not care in the unlikely event of them being identified and banned.

Last edited:
Think it's been mentioned previously that Premier League away attendances are much more likely to be full of people with season cards and high loyalty points who don't want to risk a banning order. Some of our problems seem to come from large away followings, listen later than their average, where some will be turning up who aren't necessarily arsed about the football and might not care in the unlikely event of them being identified and banned.
cheers bud. decent post that.

Back