The Nazis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could they have won the war with proper military strategists in charge, rather than Hitler’s Nazi bum chums?

if you get into a war with 3 of the 4 largest economic powers in the world there is only 1 outcome

Had they had a top notch nuclear scientist who would develop a bomb, im sure theyd have won

as physics was a 'jewish science' then good luck with that

and if they're not shitting on the jews then they aint nazis

But they did win in the end. :D

Logon or register to see this image

Jokes aside, generals got together post-war to work out what would have happened if Operation Sea Lion was attempted.

I think an assumption was Royal Navy ships were out of position at the beginning of the operation so that the German first wave got ashore.

It was reckoned with the Royal Navy reaching the English Channel to sever supply lines, the Germans would have barely got past London before being stopped and pushed back.

Although the Royal Navy would have taken a hiding from aerial bombardment, the damage to supply lines leaving the Germans low on ammunition, etc. would have led to an evacuation, with continued damage seeing only a small proportion making it back to France.

I don't remember other factors thrown in such as guerrilla action on German troops say in the London area and the damage that might also have inflicted.

The result would have probably seen the Germans not be able to fight on with a much easier move into Europe when the Americans enter the war.

Basically, Operation Sea lion was never feasible and German landing barges were never really up to the job.

A pre-warned Royal Navy might have prevented any significant force from landing, though this last comment is my guess rather than any part of the simulation.

if this is the Sandhurst wargames then they did more than just that..

they did'nt allow the RN to basically do anything until after the 1st wave was ashore just so that they would have something to wargame because rhine river barges + english channel + royal navy does not make for a good time for germany

if this is the Sandhurst wargames then they did more than just that..

they did'nt allow the RN to basically do anything until after the 1st wave was ashore just so that they would have something to wargame because rhine river barges + english channel + royal navy does not make for a good time for germany

This is exactly what I'm on about. I've lost the link to it unfortunately, but off out now so no time to look.

Had they had a top notch nuclear scientist who would develop a bomb, im sure theyd have won

Read somewhere that id the D-Day landings had been one year later the Nazis would have had a nuclear bomb which would have wiped out the entire D-Day force in one go while it was still in England

I saw a great programme about Britain's greatest pilot, Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, and he interviewed Göring after the war. Göring reckoned that the Battle of Britain was a draw and that even with the cities bombing campaign the Luftwaffe were beginning to see RAF casualties outstrip German ones. They both agreed that it was Hitler's decision to invade Russia and dividing his forces on another front as the key moment that changed the war for Britain.
WAFU....:cool:

This is exactly what I'm on about. I've lost the link to it unfortunately, but off out now so no time to look.

http://mr-home.staff.shef.ac.uk/hobbies/seelowe.txt

Course they would have won.
Hitler fucked everything up, was mad, ill, controlled by Bormann etc.

The general staff were some of the finest military minds in the world: just look at Guderian and his revolutionary style of war fare.

Might have to get rid of goering anarl mind.

you mean the revolutionary style of warfare that was originally developed by Fuller & Liddell-Hart??

Last edited:
Could they have won the war with proper military strategists in charge, rather than Hitler’s Nazi bum chums?

No. Even after The Siege of Leningrad where millions died, the Russian #lads still kicked Germany's backside

I stand corrected. I must have read another text where the Germans made much greater inroads to be stopped just to the north of London. Bloody hell, where did I see it?

That said, that text is an interesting read as it shows how difficult it would have been to launch an invasion of Britain.

A crucial bit is Hitler not diverting resources from the bombing of London.

I stand corrected. I must have read another text where the Germans made much greater inroads to be stopped just to the north of London. Bloody hell, where did I see it?

That said, that text is an interesting read as it shows how difficult it would have been to launch an invasion of Britain.

A crucial bit is Hitler not diverting resources from the bombing of London.

Sealion is just flat out impossible with the resources available to germany at the time.

as well as all the obvious things (the royal navy, rhine barges, the channel, etc) they did'nt even do simple things like 'what are the beaches like that we're planning on landing on' - as opposed to D-Day planning which had secret commando raids just to bring back beach samples

There's a few variables that could have won them the war.

For example on the eastern front had they gone prepared to settle in for winter at some point... I mean they attacked with no winter clothing and equipment..... also if they adapted their tanks like the russians did.

German tanks were still designed to be technically brilliant but very difficult to repair, often needing to be carted back to a repair station with engineers available to fix them.

The russians adapted their tanks to be fixable on the go in the middle of nowhere, the crew learned how to do it as it was a simple design.

A lot of their strategists were top notch, but it was the command structure that was the problem. At the end of the day Hitler kept overuling them, which often resulted in catastrophic losses of life or capture.

They also could've taken Moscow if Hitler hadn't been so determined to take Stalingrad and halted the advance and diverted his lads south. If Moscow fell then who knows.

Read somewhere that id the D-Day landings had been one year later the Nazis would have had a nuclear bomb which would have wiped out the entire D-Day force in one go while it was still in England

I could be wrong but I believe German scientists were only looking at the plutonium method of building Ze Bomb, unlike the allies who were trying uranium and plutonium. And their design and knowledge of building it involved heavy water.

In 1943 a few commandos were parachuted in to Norway, skied down a mountain Bond style, abseiled down a ravine to avoid German troops and plugged through an icy river. They planted a few bombs and blew it up. They then cross-country skied for a few hundred mile while being chased by thousands of Germans.

Without the heavy water and the continued bombing raids on the plant the Germans actually got nowhere near producing a bomb.

I could be wrong but I believe German scientists were only looking at the plutonium method of building Ze Bomb, unlike the allies who were trying uranium and plutonium. And their design and knowledge of building it involved heavy water.

In 1943 a few commandos were parachuted in to Norway, skied down a mountain Bond style, abseiled down a ravine to avoid German troops and plugged through an icy river. They planted a few bombs and blew it up. They then cross-country skied for a few hundred mile while being chased by thousands of Germans.

Without the heavy water and the continued bombing raids on the plant the Germans actually got nowhere near producing a bomb.
I think you’ll find it was Kirk Douglas.

that and they got their sums wrong and thought it would require much more Uranium / Plutonium than was actually needed

Prior to the war, Stalin had been convinced that an invasion would come from the West. It had happened repeatedly through Russia's history, and in the Russian Civil War the western powers had supported the Whites.

He dragged the country forward through industrialization and collectivisation programmes, with some brutal results. But if he hadn't had the foresight to do this Russia wouldn't have been in any position to repel the Germans and they would have won on the Eastern Front.

Sure I was listening to a Dan Snow podcast once where he said the wehrmacht were arguably the greatest fighting force ever assembled

They’d be in any discussion. Early war years they were absolutely formidable, didn’t have the best equipment either contrary to popular belief. Some of the manoeuvres in Russia early doors were near perfect, encircled whole armies time after time.

Complete different war though in the east, the levels of brutality were rarely seen in the western theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back