The Lake District.

is there many people out wild camping? i know the wild camping forums are full of people urging people not to go out, but i imagine there will be quite a few quietly heading out under the radar? i was all set up for 2 night wild camp the weekend before easter, hadn't decided where exactly but got some new gear over the winter that i wanted to test out. obviously never went but i must admit its awfully tempting now. i'd class it as extreme social distancing

you camped in that area? i've done a bit walking, and stopped with my dad in his camper at the swinside inn, but never camped over there. would love to if there was something basic?

Not seen anybody wild camping..im just using local fells..path to wansfell out my back door and across to troutbeck or over to red screes or loughrigg..daughter did fairfield horseshoe yesterday and seen 3 other people up there..ive heard if you go to some of the smaller villages the locals who've lived there for generations are waving their pitchforks around at any tourists

Not seen anybody wild camping..im just using local fells..path to wansfell out my back door and across to troutbeck or over to red screes or loughrigg..daughter did fairfield horseshoe yesterday and seen 3 other people up there..ive heard if you go to some of the smaller villages the locals who've lived there for generations are waving their pitchforks around at any tourists

do you live in ambleside like? dream for me that like. well not ambleside itself, but somewhere round langdale or coniston

its driving me mad knowing that i'm off work, the weather is glorious, and the fells are empty.... and i can't go.

can normally squeeze in 2 nights camping on a normal weekend, could have happily lived in my tent on the fells for the last few weeks

Last edited:
Looks like a class spot there. Think I'll try to get in there with the camper at some point too.

theres 2 hook up points, think we gave them a fiver or something for the spot, as long as we ate in the pub, which we did. arrived at 2pm after spending a night in warnscale bothy in the snow at the start of february. pulled up in the camper, was an absolute monsoon, 5 mins later we had a pint in our hands, and sat in the walkers bar till we got kicked out about midnight. it pissed down the entire day/night/next day. was one of my favourite days :)

There is im sure a few tourists around theres been a few faces round ambleside that ive not seen before and the streets are desolate.
Had 1 night of rain since lockdown and weather has been glorious im sure you would be loving it up on the fells if wild camping is your thing

There is im sure a few tourists around theres been a few faces round ambleside that ive not seen before and the streets are desolate.
Had 1 night of rain since lockdown and weather has been glorious im sure you would be loving it up on the fells if wild camping is your thing

what do you do over there, if you dont mind me asking? always seems like the type of place that seems from the outside to be idyllic to live, but unless you are pretty wealthy it doesnt seem very realistic?

what do you do over there, if you dont mind me asking? always seems like the type of place that seems from the outside to be idyllic to live, but unless you are pretty wealthy it doesnt seem very realistic?

Its a great place to live..the constant rain and grey sometimes drags and its very busy most of the year now in the bigger towns and yes house prices are pretty high if you want to live here as the local population decreases year on year the amount of holiday homes increases..there is cheaper homes to buy but more often than not local occupancy clause is placed on them so only locals can buy them..at either end of the national park in cockermouth and kendal prices are ok i think..i have businesses in hospitality and am trying to sell to semi retire and lockdown is giving me a taste of it

I know someone who bought a property in the Lakes decades ago , I’m convinced the locals still don’t fully accept them.

A pretty weird bunch at the best of times some of them.

Its a great place to live..the constant rain and grey sometimes drags and its very busy most of the year now in the bigger towns and yes house prices are pretty high if you want to live here as the local population decreases year on year the amount of holiday homes increases..there is cheaper homes to buy but more often than not local occupancy clause is placed on them so only locals can buy them..at either end of the national park in cockermouth and kendal prices are ok i think..i have businesses in hospitality and am trying to sell to semi retire and lockdown is giving me a taste of it
Where do you live ?

The end of Lake Rydal coming from Ambleside and looking across the Lake towards the fells and then into the Badger Bar. Been going since I was a tiny kid and still love going every year.

I did the coffin route today. Into Grasmere, then back to Ambleside via Loughrigg terrace. Blue skies all the way! Badger Bar is closed mind. :mad:

Did you drive over ? Is there many cars parked up and people out walking?

No mate, I'm local. The smaller car parks near and in the fells have had boulders placed to block entrances mate. Municipal car parks are open and many have been made free from charge. The main car park in Ambleside is one of them. ;)

Very few people about. I was out all day today and spotted about a dozen people.

No mate, I'm local. The smaller car parks near and in the fells have had boulders placed to block entrances mate. Municipal car parks are open and many have been made free from charge. The main car park in Ambleside is one of them. ;)

Very few people about. I was out all day today and spotted about a dozen people.

Not that I'm going to do it, but out of interest what would the reaction be if someone turned up in thier car, parked up and headed off with a big pack on for a 2 night wild camp? Would it be tuts and shaking of heads or would you actually be stopped by National Trust busybodies or angry locals?

My furlough is finished on friday so havent got any intention of coming over any time soon like, but just interested as to when people are likely to be accepted to start coming in drips and drabs.

Are the pubs and b&b owners eager to get back open now?
I guess the farmers will be absolutely loving this

Not that I'm going to do it, but out of interest what would the reaction be if someone turned up in thier car, parked up and headed off with a big pack on for a 2 night wild camp? Would it be tuts and shaking of heads or would you actually be stopped by National Trust busybodies or angry locals?

My furlough is finished on friday so havent got any intention of coming over any time soon like, but just interested as to when people are likely to be accepted to start coming in drips and drabs.

If you parked up in the main car park in Ambleside then headed out of town I doubt you'd see anyone anyway. Locals here couldn't give a toss mate. As I said, I didn't see a dozen people all day although I did see one young lad with an extremely large back pack heading for the hills. The NP is empty mate.

If you parked up in the main car park in Ambleside then headed out of town I doubt you'd see anyone anyway. Locals here couldn't give a toss mate. As I said, I didn't see a dozen people all day although I did see one young lad with an extremely large back pack heading for the hills. The NP is empty mate.

So theres nothing actaully stopping you, not like signs up on the paths and road signs out telling you to go home? Theres a little pull in at the bottom of kirkstone pass near brotherswater in, could park there and be in the hills in minutes, but I'd be worried my car would be clamped or smashed up when I got back.

Glad I'm going back to work to be honest or the temptation would soon get the better of me

There was a couple on the news from Keswick. They had only recently taken over the B&B so didn't have accounts to qualify for government help. Awful for them.
There will be loads won't last if the place is shut down all summer.

So theres nothing actaully stopping you, not like signs up on the paths and road signs out telling you to go home? Theres a little pull in at the bottom of kirkstone pass near brotherswater in, could park there and be in the hills in minutes, but I'd be worried my car would be clamped or smashed up when I got back.

Glad I'm going back to work to be honest or the temptation would soon get the better of me

Coppers are parked on the A591 top and bottom of the entrance to the NP. Only stopping cars with two or more occupants AFAIK. I doubt anyone would go for your car if it's tucked away somewhere. Just don't park in Grasmere.

Last edited:
Really gave a lot of thought to the idea of relocating to the lakes in this time of WFH, I need to figure out what i am going to do for a living mind but it's just more for me than working in an office in the city. I love the place , got to figure it out.

Back