The Lake District.

We actually hitch hiked from chapel stile, was already 8 pints in at the point. Woke up 6am with clear blue sky above me and birds singing wondering where the fuck I was. Stove on, cuppa, and away. Gonna do the same again next year.
Nice bit of a walk through the vally floor but no you don't want to be doing it 8 pints deep.

Are there many live-in jobs going in hotels, pubs etc (under normal circumstances) during the summer? Thinking of taking a break once lockdown is over & this is something I fancy doing while using any time off to run & walk.

I’ve a static in a little place called Lorton.
Just a few miles from Loweswater, Crummock Water and Buttermere, Gods own country.
There’s an old pub called the Kirkstile Inn at Loweswater an old 16th century coaching house, it must simply have the best setting of any pub in England.
Love the Kirkstile Inn, a regular stop on our annual c2c

Are there many live-in jobs going in hotels, pubs etc (under normal circumstances) during the summer? Thinking of taking a break once lockdown is over & this is something I fancy doing while using any time off to run & walk.

Look to see if there are any fruit/ veg farms who are taking on pickers?

I’ve never been to this pub but when all this shit has buggered off - I’m going - can you stay there? Coz I am going to have a right good session
Sorry for being a lazy git - yes you can stay there and I’m going as soon as I can. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
We stayed in Buttermere Cottage behind Foulsyke for our honeymoon. In 1993 and long absoluted.

It was just up the path from the Kirkstyle Inn. Bloody ruined we were. Also a short drive from a restaurant that had the best steak I’d ever had.

Fabulous place.

assume some of the youth hostels have live in staff. stayed at a few in the lakes, this one was good YHA Wasdale Hall Hostel | Cheap Wastwater Youth Hostel Accommodation

love the lakes and can't wait till life resumes to normal and il get back up with the tent

The stickle barn at the dungeon ghyll in langdale is in a hell of a location for getting into the fells and always seem to have aussies or other foreign backpacker types working there, I know theres a bunk house and a hotel at the same place

It'll be the first place I head after lock down for either a wild camp up at stickle Tarn or just a piss up round langdale

The stickle barn at the dungeon ghyll in langdale is in a hell of a location for getting into the fells and always seem to have aussies or other foreign backpacker types working there, I know theres a bunk house and a hotel at the same place

It'll be the first place I head after lock down for either a wild camp up at stickle Tarn or just a piss up round langdale
It's my intended destination too. Probably stay at Baysbrown farm. As soon as its lifted I'll be up there. Tell work I'm taking the day off and bye.

Last edited:

just googled it , looks great. havent been that way before so may give it a whirl

It's my intended destination too. Probably stay at Baysbrown farm. As soon as its lifted I'll be up there. Tell work I'm taking the day off and bye.

Me dad and that used to climb up langdale so been going to bays brown since I was a baby. Wainrights used to be great and rowdy but it's a bit subdued now. Had some good nights up the dungeon ghyll last few years. It's the first place we'll be heading too. Walk over to three shires, couple in the brit, couple in the wainrights then upto sticklebarn. Nowhere better when weather is decent
just googled it , looks great. havent been that way before so may give it a whirl

Langdale is the quintessential lakes valley for me. That and Newlands

Last edited:
Driving,as you come round the corner from Rydal and see Grasmere takes some beating.
Walking anywhere around Buttermere or the Langdales
The end of Lake Rydal coming from Ambleside and looking across the Lake towards the fells and then into the Badger Bar. Been going since I was a tiny kid and still love going every year.

Me dad and that used to climb up langdale so been going to bays brown since I was a baby. Wainrights used to be great and rowdy but it's a bit subdued now. Had some good nights up the dungeon ghyll last few years. It's the first place we'll be heading too. Walk over to three shires, couple in the brit, couple in the wainrights then upto sticklebarn. Nowhere better when weather is decent

Langdale is the quintessential lakes valley for me. That and Newlands

Spent and stayed a lot of time in Newlands over the last 50 years , fantastic place to be in.

Borrowdale is good but gets too busy at times.

You can all stay away ..we want it all to ourselves..it's even more amazing walking on empty fells it's got such a serene beauty...it helps of course with the amazing weather since lockdown began

is there many people out wild camping? i know the wild camping forums are full of people urging people not to go out, but i imagine there will be quite a few quietly heading out under the radar? i was all set up for 2 night wild camp the weekend before easter, hadn't decided where exactly but got some new gear over the winter that i wanted to test out. obviously never went but i must admit its awfully tempting now. i'd class it as extreme social distancing
Spent and stayed a lot of time in Newlands over the last 50 years , fantastic place to be in.

Borrowdale is good but gets too busy at times.

you camped in that area? i've done a bit walking, and stopped with my dad in his camper at the swinside inn, but never camped over there. would love to if there was something basic?

Last edited:
you camped in that area? i've done a bit walking, and stopped with my dad in his camper at the swinside inn, but never camped over there. would love to if there was something basic?

Stayed here a lot , only a mile from The Swinny.

Back