The Lake District.

Eskdale and in particular Boot is my favourite . It's extremely beautiful but tends to get looked over due to its relatively remote location. There are three cracking pubs, a steam train, a Roman fort, and a decent campsite, plus plenty of walking to be had. To get there from the north east you have either to go all the way around the coastal peninsula of the lakes, or brave it over both the Hardknott and Wrynose Passes.

We're lucky in that the majority of people on this thread are able to jump in a car and be in the middle of the lakes in a couple of hours tops. :cool:
That’s why I love them.

Mind if you like mountains and lakes the Swiss Alps in summer can’t be beaten. Shame it costs a small fortune.

My cousin lives between there and Thurso, she is originally from sunderland,incredible place, stunning scenery.
Lucky her! How come she ended up there?
That’s why I love them.

Mind if you like mountains and lakes the Swiss Alps in summer can’t be beaten. Shame it costs a small fortune.
Was in Chamonix a fortnight ago climbing the foothills of Mont Blanc, £70 return flights, transfer from Geneva £70 return, cheap hotel...can’t go wrong.
There are routes and views in the Lakes which are world class. Yes, Scotland has equally good natural resource, but the only thing which detracts from the two is the commercial bias which is linked with the Lakes.
And it’s too bloody busy! There’s no denying that the lakes is a stunning area but I feel it’s become a victim of its own success, the likes of Julia Bradley’s programmes etc have done wonders for the local economy but for me personally, it’s took the edge off the place. I tend to go during the week now when there’s no one about. Maybe I’m just a miserable bastard though

Last edited:
Haven't been for years but Bowness was my choice of town. Used to go camping at Limefitt park back in the day and the nearby pub the Queens Head just up the Kirkstone pass at Troutbeck is still my favourite pub in the whole country.

Back