The Fire Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went in today for some lunch with the wife. It looked great - it was busy but there were plenty of seats. No one came up to take orders so I went to the bar to order the food. I was told it would take an hour. It was 13:00 - standard lunchtime. We obviously went elsewhere. How can they expect to run a restaurant service and expect people to wait an hour? We only wanted a couple of steak sandwiches and chips. Ultimately, they will want office lunchtime trade but it won't work if people have to wait an hour. I can excuse the fact that there are teething problems but they need to sort it out or get new management.

Went in today for some lunch with the wife. It looked great - it was busy but there were plenty of seats. No one came up to take orders so I went to the bar to order the food. I was told it would take an hour. It was 13:00 - standard lunchtime. We obviously went elsewhere. How can they expect to run a restaurant service and expect people to wait an hour? We only wanted a couple of steak sandwiches and chips. Ultimately, they will want office lunchtime trade but it won't work if people have to wait an hour. I can excuse the fact that there are teething problems but they need to sort it out or get new management.

I went to KFC at 4:40pm yesterday and was told they have a 30 min wait on chicken. Their main USP I have heard.

I think having to wait an hour is a valid complaint but why did you expect someone to take orders in a pub?

They tell you to sit and wait for a waitress (on Sundays) tbf.
Fair enough. I'm not a big fan of such establishments as a rule as they tend to lack a real identity. Look like a pub and act like a restaurant but then I noticed them encouraging dog owners to bring their dogs the other day which goes against the restaurant approach.
Sounds like there's a few teething problems, hope they get sorted.
I'm popping in tonight (for beer not bait) so will hopefully give my review tomorrow.

I went to KFC at 4:40pm yesterday and was told they have a 30 min wait on chicken. Their main USP I have heard.
Greggs cheese pasty,"we,ve just put them in " they'll be about 20 minutes! surely they can see how many is left ?

Not ideal,Saturday will be worse and first impressions are important.Popping in about 5 tmora for a pint,looking forward to it

I think having to wait an hour is a valid complaint but why did you expect someone to take orders in a pub?
Wasn't bothered about that - just wasnt sure with waiters buzzing about, which you don't get in pubs. I'm massively supportive of things like the Fire Station but, in the future, they'll want to be a place for office workers/business lunches. It simply won't work if they are going to take an hour to serve a burger and chips.

Greggs cheese pasty,"we,ve just put them in " they'll be about 20 minutes! surely they can see how many is left ?

Not ideal,Saturday will be worse and first impressions are important.Popping in about 5 tmora for a pint,looking forward to it
I think it'll be great but they need to get their act together.

Wasn't bothered about that - just wasnt sure with waiters buzzing about, which you don't get in pubs. I'm massively supportive of things like the Fire Station but, in the future, they'll want to be a place for office workers/business lunches. It simply won't work if they are going to take an hour to serve a burger and chips.

I think it'll be great but they need to get their act together.
Agreed. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they got the same message but food arrived in 15 minutes. They are clearly trying to manage expectations but it will put people off. Early days though, sure they'll sort it.

sounds like they need to decide on focusing on one thing at a time. either a pub, or restaurant. not good going for a 'drink' somewhere when there is nowhere to stand or seperate yourself from the eaters. also, more staff. very simple approach and not going to solve all problems, but if there is constant queues and people waiting ages for things, then a couple more staff will take the pressure off. worked in that industry for 5 years and there is a skill to keeping a good house. when its not working like a well oiled engine, it becomes a stressful nightmare for staff and customers

sounds like they need to decide on focusing on one thing at a time. either a pub, or restaurant. not good going for a 'drink' somewhere when there is nowhere to stand or seperate yourself from the eaters. also, more staff. very simple approach and not going to solve all problems, but if there is constant queues and people waiting ages for things, then a couple more staff will take the pressure off. worked in that industry for 5 years and there is a skill to keeping a good house. when its not working like a well oiled engine, it becomes a stressful nightmare for staff and customers
But it's not just a boozer. It's an art hub or have you forgot. And they gonna do a arena type venue in 2019 and get loads of top acts. Maybe they focused on that.

Agreed. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned they got the same message but food arrived in 15 minutes. They are clearly trying to manage expectations but it will put people off. Early days though, sure they'll sort it.
Fingers crossed

First signs are promising. It’s full but got served no bother. Good pint of Anarchy Blonde Star. £3.50.

good stuff. whats the ratio of eater:drinkers ?

But it's not just a boozer. It's an art hub or have you forgot. And they gonna do a arena type venue in 2019 and get loads of top acts. Maybe they focused on that.

of course not but i dont think that has any baring on how the bar is managed. it will be a separate entity in all but name

good stuff. whats the ratio of eater:drinkers ?

of course not but i dont think that has any baring on how the bar is managed. it will be a separate entity in all but name
But do the owners have previous experience as if they have not they maybe finding there feet.

But do the owners have previous experience as if they have not they maybe finding there feet.

Of course and that would to be expected. Its accepted that people should have patience but repeating the same mistakes over and over can't be blamed on teething problems. For the record im speaking generally and not aiming criticism directly at the fire station and i wish it all the success in the world

First signs are promising. It’s full but got served no bother. Good pint of Anarchy Blonde Star. £3.50.
Overall I was very impressed. Busy all night with a range of ages leading to a good atmosphere. Beer was good and prices comparable to similar pubs. One of the lads got a pizza and said it was good.
Only downside was the inexperienced bar staff. There were plenty of them and they were all working hard but they haven't yet mastered the skill of knowing who is next to be served. Every time I went to the bar it was a lottery and you had to rely on the others waiting being honest about who was next. I'm sure it will improve but I could see people getting frustrated.
8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back