Spring birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought goldfinch (I think that's what's in the background) migrate to southern Europe during winter?
There's quite a few here every day. Lived in this house 8 or 9 months now and they've been there about 6 months (since the niger feeder went out)

I get great tits every year in my nest box around the end of February. I've already had a pair over the last few days who seem to be just checking out whether it's safe to nest. Is this early or about right? I know @Swindon On Tour likes his wild birds.
tits and wild birds. Man, do I live in the wrong country!
LOL

Used to gan nesting back in the 70s - early 80s
Seems to be a lost pastime
Majority of the time it was the kudos of finding the nests of rarer birds rather than taking of eggs

Me too.:confused:
We've a well stocked feeding station at the front and quite a variety of birds use it but the camera box in the back garden has been ignored for about four years now.
I might try it somewhere else this year....ungrateful gits!:evil:

North facing hole and high enough away from predators.
If it's on a wall and appears that a cat can get to it then it won't be used.

Is it ok to shoot Maggie's I'm plagued with them , we had one pair nearly seven years ago there must be over 30 odd fkn vermin

Shoot them. You will be doing a massive favour to the the bird population.
Country tip: Plastic Magpie decoy (around £5) then get half a box of matches and shake in short bursts........you won't have to wait long :).
Mind you they get clever.
Use an Air arms 410S air rifle.......a cracking piece of kit. Hardly miss.

Last edited:
Majority of the time it was the kudos of finding the nests of rarer birds rather than taking of eggs
Blowing them out was quite an art mind. The majority of the playstation generation probably can't even climb a tree.

The pigeons could be the problem. Taking all the food so the smaller birds are looking elsewhere.

Tip: if you have a bird table put a hanging basket upside down like a dome stops the pigeons, jackdaws etc and the song birds fit through the gaps.
Feed regularly and they will come.

Country tip: Plastic Magpie decoy (around £5) then get half a box of matches and shake in short bursts........you won't have to wait long :).

Cheers ,
They have systematically wiped our greenfinches , linets and song brushes year by year

I thought goldfinch (I think that's what's in the background) migrate to southern Europe during winter?

Goldfinches stay resident.
Really increased in numbers over recent years.
Niger seeds and Sunflower hearts.........will attract them.
We get plenty of them all year round.

I know mate one of the main hobbys when I was young.
Country life.

Last edited:

It's facing NW-ish...and it's about 3m up above the ivy wall.
Not happy about shooting magpies like...bet you drink in The Rolleston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back